tender feet

Help Support Steer Planet:

gocanes719

I have an Eskimo Joe shorthorn heifer I sold.  Over the last month she has become very tender on her back feet.  Her right back is worse than her left.  She had some swelling at the hoofline up to the dew claw areas when we trimmed her.  She is not ideal on her hind legs but she is sound enough.  I am suspecting it could be founder like condition so we took her off grain completely and I turned her out on a few acres.  She still seems tender after 10 days on grass and acts like her feet hurt.  Her feet do not appear abnormal at all as we looked all when we trimmed her feet.  Anyone have any experience with anything like this?  Should I try something on her?

TottenClubCalves

Had a steer last year that went down for a month after he got his feet trimmed. I just gave him asprin boluses and watched him carefully. do't try and bulk her up, she could gain alot of wait and cause even more pressure on her feet. I kept feeding my steer last year and about 2 months before fair he went crippled, he was a wmw which should say it all but he went crippled in the back and who calf normally have front end problems not back, regardless I honestly think its because I bulked him up and his structure didn't have time to get up with his weight. Anyways try and ease her pain and keep us updated.

DL

Has anybody looked at the bottom of her feet? Although lots of things can cause tender feet I often see it with abscesses - bruise after trimming that gets infected - if you have ever smelled these in cattle they are pretty unmistakable (nasty) and the "pus" or gunk is black - pealing out the abscess will help....I agree not to increase her weight at this time and aspirin might help - not sure if the swelling is related to the tender feet or not. is she still swollen?

gocanes719

dragon lady said:
Has anybody looked at the bottom of her feet? Although lots of things can cause tender feet I often see it with abscesses - bruise after trimming that gets infected - if you have ever smelled these in cattle they are pretty unmistakable (nasty) and the "pus" or gunk is black - pealing out the abscess will help....I agree not to increase her weight at this time and aspirin might help - not sure if the swelling is related to the tender feet or not. is she still swollen?

The swelling went down some right away.  It hasn't gotten any better in about 10 days though.  Her feet look perfectly normal, no foot rot, abcesses or anything.