Texas People!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

LinZ

Hey Everyone,
    Moving to Texas for school this summer/fall. Pretty excited. Just wondering who all on here is in Texas and how shows are run there... age of kids..how many open shows.. age of heifers...steers...aren't some shows or all shows slick?

Thanks,
LinZ

ZNT

There are a few open shows in Texas, depending on the breed.  You have the major shows like State Fair in October, Ft. Worth in January, San Antonio and San Angelo in February, and Houston in March.

Now Jr. shows are a different story.  If you go to The Showbox's website, you can find at least 2 or 3 shows every weekend, all year round.  Besides the majors, there is the Belt Buckle in July and Fall Classic in November for major Jr/Points shows.  There is a lot going on if you know where to look.

Most Jr. Shows begin at age 8 or 9, and last until graduation of high school.  Once graduation is over, it's pretty much over for showing in TX as a Jr., but ther is alway Open Shows and the other Majors outside of TX like KC, Louisville, and Denver.

Hope this helps and welcome to TX!  I have loved every bit of it since moving here from Nebraska over 7 years ago.

mrs sawboss

Welcome to Texas!!!! Where are you coming from and where are you moving to?  How exciting!  I know you are going to love it here!  One of the friendliest places you will ever encounter.  Let those of us on Steer Planet who live in Texas know if we can be of assistance to you as you get settled in!

kimbaljd

Welcome! What part of Texas are you moving to? And by school am I to assume you mean college? If so which one?

Simmymom1

Welcome to Texas - just be ready to sweat this summer, we sure have the heat & humidity, other that that it is the best!!  <party>

KCK

Follow this link to get a complete list of summer 2008 shows in Texas. The current issue of the Showbox has a list in it to. I am not from Texas, but I was able to attend the Belt Buckle one summer and I highly suggest it. It was a blast and there were a ton of kids around to meet and hang out with.

http://www.theshowbox.com/Shows/

Good luck and I hope you love Texas!

LinZ

I'm from south Alabama(no stranger to the heat) and just finished up first year of college. Going to Texas A & M. So I'll probably be living in Bryan/College Station area.  Thanks so much!!
LiNZ