Texas shows

Help Support Steer Planet:

reno1014

Stephenville is this weekend also.  We were all pumped to get started, but found out its the same weekend as our boys Texas Tech Livestock
Judging contest. :'(  Darn if I didnt want to go but our CEA spent lots of hours with the boys.....so..... to Tech we go instead.
Last year Rockdale was our first calf show ever. 

chambero

We were going to go to Stephenville, but they did away with the heifer show.  Our steers aren't quite ready to head out yet.  I'm not sure when we'll get out the first time, maybe Memorial Day weekend to McKinney and/or Bonham.

NHR

We will be in Bonham on May 24th to get the heifers out. Then State Shorthorn Show June 13th - 15th.

chambero

NHR said:
We will be in Bonham on May 24th to get the heifers out. Then State Shorthorn Show June 13th - 15th.

How did yall wind up doing at the majors this year?  It literally turned into an aborted first year for my son.  His heifer "quit" us in January at Loy Lake and his steer for the majors died.  The heifer really has us screwed up still because we like dragging a big one and a little one. 

Right now, he may be just showing a little January heifer we'll run either Chi or AOB.  I had a September broke out for him but decided she just wasn't ever going to have the hair to run in those breeds.  Last year we had more show quality heifers than we knew what to do with, this year we have the opposite.

sawboss

We are hitting a jackpot show this weekend with heifers, steers and goats.  Buckles awarded for each breed champion, champion prospect steer and champion goat.  Should be fun starting over with new animals to see how they handle the ring.

NHR

chambero said:
NHR said:

How did yall wind up doing at the majors this year?  It literally turned into an aborted first year for my son.  His heifer "quit" us in January at Loy Lake and his steer for the majors died.  The heifer really has us screwed up still because we like dragging a big one and a little one. 

Right now, he may be just showing a little January heifer we'll run either Chi or AOB.  I had a September broke out for him but decided she just wasn't ever going to have the hair to run in those breeds.  Last year we had more show quality heifers than we knew what to do with, this year we have the opposite.

We had a good end to the show career for our red heifer. At Ft Worth she won her class and got Division Champion, At Houston as a cow calf pair she won her class and got Reserve Division Champion. Won Supreme Champion at our county show. It has been an awesome 2 years with this heifer and she will be missed on the show string. She is now in the donor program and is at Trans Ova preparing to be flushed.

chambero

Out of curiousity, why did you send her all the way up there vs. some of the Texas guys (Dr. Stroud in Weatherford, Steele in Graham, or the guy in Elgin)?  We are finally getting ready to start messing with embryos and just trying to figure out how to best go about it.

NHR

chambero said:
Out of curiousity, why did you send her all the way up there vs. some of the Texas guys (Dr. Stroud in Weatherford, Steele in Graham, or the guy in Elgin)?  We are finally getting ready to start messing with embryos and just trying to figure out how to best go about it.

Trans Ova is in Centerville, TX also. That is only 1 hour from our place. Plus they do a complete breeding exam including sonogram prior to starting the flushing process.