Th calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

formersteerjock

I'm pretty sure I have a th calf.  Everybody thinks it will never happen to them.  Calf is normal looking except it has a swollen scrotum.  It can stand for five or six seconds.  I tube fed it this afternoon but I'm sure I will have ro put it down.  I may never raise a five figure steer but the risk is not worth the reward.  I wish for the old days of total play,sugar ray and stilts.  This has turned me against our present best clubby bulls.  Sorry to vent.

diamonddls

I feel for you we had a pha calf a number of years ago. From a misrepresented bull we purchased. Its frustrating when it happens.

justintime

Does your calf have a large hernia on his belly?  Does it has a shortened head with its eyes abnormally placed? Does it have shortened back legs that appear to be missing some bones in it's legs? Are its legs twisted together? The twisted legs does not occur in every TH case, but they definitely do have the shortened back legs. I have never seen a TH calf that could stand but I have seen several that tried to stand. If your calf doesn't have some of these traits I doubt if it has  TH
Before we knew anything about TH I purchased a bull in the US to use on a set of yearling heifers. He had a very low BW and seemed to be a very good option to use. I had 6 TH calves in the first 10 calves.