TH/PHA test

Help Support Steer Planet:

roycattle

Agrigenomics is a joke!!!  Is anyone else having troubles getting their results?  I called 5 times a day for the past 2 weeks and NO answer.  Have also emailed with no response.  If they can not run the tests in a timely manner how are we supposed to sell our calves with the results?  In my opinion they need to sell the patent on the test and let another company run the business.  This really STINKS

onthegofarmer

They are only open 1-5pm there time zone.  It took me a good while but Finally got em.  I am glad to here you are testing this is very important.

TPX

I brought this up on here last year and it made alot of people mad.  I dont think that they like when you question the work of agrigenomics.  I think that it is a joke also how the run there business I was told that my tests were put on hold b/c at that time they got a bunch of big herds doing tests that they had to run through.  That was the end of our shorthorn days we havent registered a cow since in fact we bred all of our shorties to good red angus bulls and decided to focus more on our red angus cows b/c the assoc actually cares about all its breeders and not just a choice few.

aj

Didn't the secretary move on to grad school. I think they are in the middle of a change there. I had trouble getting anything a month ago...barrel racer said she moving on to grad school or something.

DL

roycattle - might I ask when you sent in your sampels? IMHO very often complaints are related to poor planning on the part of the producer

did you leave your email address on the form?

aj -Barrel Racer is not a secretary - she has already been to grad school and is basically the person who found both mutations (as well as others)

I personally am just grateful someone cared enough to identify the mutations and offer the test

shortyjock89

I agree that they are slow and that it might be smart to sell the patent to a bigger company...but for how much other stuff they all have to do, they do a pretty good job (for the most part).  Dr. Beever has classes to teach, a cow herd at home, and a family to care for.  BR has other genes to map and livestock and a family of her own too.  Basically what it comes down to is Agrigenomics is not their full time jobs...the demand for samples to be tested may have indeed exceeded their capacity..but at least they have a test now...

red

this has nothing to do w/ Barrel Racer or Dr B. What burns my buns is that sellers pay large amounts for their sale catalog & no results listed. Most say that the list will be available at the sale. I  hate to be looking hard at a heifer & then find out she's a carrier. They've had plenty of time to  know what will be in their sale. Why can't they get the test done in time?

OK, off my soapbox.  (argue)
Red

DL

red said:
this has nothing to do w/ Barrel Racer or Dr B. What burns my buns is that sellers pay large amounts for their sale catalog & no results listed. Most say that the list will be available at the sale. I  hate to be looking hard at a heifer & then find out she's a carrier. They've had plenty of time to  know what will be in their sale. Why can't they get the test done in time?

Red

Welcome back red - you need to see a vet about your nose ;)

I am with you 100% - people sure don't plan ahead - your sale is in October and you send your samples in September the day after the catalog is printed - is an emergency TH test like emergency health papers??

Get with it folks - I don't want a commercial lab like Igenity to run my TH and PHA tests  - I want someone who cares and does an excellent job with the science - if you send your sample on Wed and it gets there on Friday do you really think they will have answers by Monday?? This isn't a test like the pregnency tests you buy - there are multiple steps and isolating DNA is first (we will let knabe pontificate here) you want results - plan ahead and QYB

red

DL said:
red said:

Red

Welcome back red - you need to see a vet about your nose ;)

I am with you 100% - people sure don't plan ahead - your sale is in October and you send your samples in September the day after the catalog is printed - is an emergency TH test like emergency health papers??

Get with it folks - I don't want a commercial lab like Igenity to run my TH and PHA tests  - I want someone who cares and does an excellent job with the science - if you send your sample on Wed and it gets there on Friday do you really think they will have answers by Monday?? This isn't a test like the pregnency tests you buy - there are multiple steps and isolating DNA is first (we will let knabe pontificate here) you want results - plan ahead and QYB

Thanks DL! I'm looking for little piggy ears & a tail for Halloween.

Red

roycattle

The samples were sent in 4 weeks ago this monday (paid for overnight ship).  Is this to much to ask for results within this time frame?  All I am saying is that we farm and we have busy times of the year.  Lets see maybe the fall would be a busier time for agrigenomics and they could hire help to be more timely.  If there was competition for this test they would have already changed the way they do things or they would be out of business.  Did I send my email cmon how else could they send me an email?

DL

roycattle said:
The samples were sent in 4 weeks ago this monday (paid for overnight ship).  Is this to much to ask for results within this time frame?  All I am saying is that we farm and we have busy times of the year.  Lets see maybe the fall would be a busier time for agrigenomics and they could hire help to be more timely.  If there was competition for this test they would have already changed the way they do things or they would be out of business.  Did I send my email cmon how else could they send me an email?

Well yeah we are all busy - don't get snippy - I don't see where they sent you an email - just that you emailed them- did you put your email address on the form and indicate that is how you wanted to be contacted?

Yeah I suppose they could hire somebody - there are lots of people looking for jobs, but personally I would rather have someone who knew what they were doing do my DNA work. And you are assuming that your samples haven't been run - if the goal for must  breeders is to eliminate TH and PHA there won't be much of a market for the test - wouldn't that be ducky.

In response to how are we suppose to sell our calves with results maybe submit your samples earlier knowing that fall is a busy time? just a suggestion

Doc

roycattle said:

I can't say anything but good things about the whole outfit. The times it seems like it takes forever is when I wait until the last minute to send them in & then I'm just getting anxious. As far as hiring extra help during busy times , who determines when it's going to be busy. Then you have a choice of hiring cheap labor that don't know what they are doing or hiring qualified help & charging more for the test. Me , I'll settle for planning ahead & keep the price where it is at. I'd also venture to geuss that Dr B is real busy with a little problem that the Angus boys are having right now. Thanks & keep up the good work Dr B, Barrell Racer & all the others there.

Jill

From what I understand the breed associations should have your results, why not try calling them?

Show Heifer

I can only speak for myself.....I sent in two samples. I called them EXACTLY two weeks later and they had the results. Had no trouble getting a hold of them, nor getting the "official" report.

As for catalogs.....don't you think their is a reason "test results will be available sale day"???????  That does not happen by accident my dears.

Procrastination on YOUR part, does not make it an emergency on MINE.

Jen/SH

Cattledog

I have never had any testing done due to the fact that I raise Angus and TH and PHA is not an issue.  What is the usual amount of time that this takes to get results?  I wonder when they are going to come out with a test for the curly calf gene and who will handle the tests? 

stick

Cattledog said:
I have never had any testing done due to the fact that I raise Angus and TH and PHA is not an issue.  What is the usual amount of time that this takes to get results?  I wonder when they are going to come out with a test for the curly calf gene and who will handle the tests? 

from what I hear TH may now be an issue too

TPX

It took us four months last year to get our results back we phoned, emailed and listed our email address on the form also.  In fact when we finally got the paper in the mail the test was done fairly fast it just wasnt put on our hands fast.

As far as angus having TH if you know something then why dont you say it and not just say little tid bits with out some sort of backup.  If there is a case then lets stomp it out right now so that it doesnt get swept under the rug like it did in the shorties.

justintime

I have heard rumors of TH in Angus as well. I heard it from a very prominent Angus breeder, here in Canada, and heard it again when I attended some Shorthorn sales in Illinois and Indiana. At this point I have to say that they are nothing but rumors, as I have not heard anything about owners and actual animals in question. Even if the rumors are true, I think Th is the least of the issues presently in the Angus breeds... both red and black branches have major defects to deal with.

Cattledog

stick said:
Cattledog said:

from what I hear TH may now be an issue too

That's not what I wanted to hear.  However, from what I've read on this forum TH carriers have a lot of hair and the cool show look.  I can never get a lick of hair on my Angus heifers.  I know....not very scientific, just trying to get myself to feel better.  If you have any more info could you please share?

red

I'm starting to get worried when both Show Hef, DL & I all agree! Better take my temp!  ;)

I just know that you need results for Ohio's expo the end of January. We'll be pulling blood this or next week.

Red

Latest posts