TH & PHA Testing

Help Support Steer Planet:

pweaver

I have two heifers I want to get tested for TH & PHA.  Where are those tests run and the process? I live in Indiana if that matters.  Also need to DNA test one of them for parentage.  What is the process for that?  The cow was AI'ed twice twelve hours apart to Bojo and then Boardwalk.  Ran out of Bojo for the second breeding.  Turned the herd bull out 6 days later and he was very interested.  Can't say if he serviced her.  Calf was born 9 days late from AI date and 3 days late from bull bred.  Calf doesn't look like the bull's other calves.  More bone, thicker, level topline, just doesn't look liike his and we've had several over the last 4 years to compare.

rubleshowcattle

pweaver said:
I have two heifers I want to get tested for TH & PHA.  Where are those tests run and the process? I live in Indiana if that matters.  Also need to DNA test one of them for parentage.  What is the process for that?  The cow was AI'ed twice twelve hours apart to Bojo and then Boardwalk.  Ran out of Bojo for the second breeding.  Turned the herd bull out 6 days later and he was very interested.  Can't say if he serviced her.  Calf was born 9 days late from AI date and 3 days late from bull bred.  Calf doesn't look like the bull's other calves.  More bone, thicker, level topline, just doesn't look liike his and we've had several over the last 4 years to compare.

Go to showsteers.com find tab that says sires and services on left hand side of screen and find
TH and Pha listing click on that and it will give you options to open up documents that you can
print off it tells you what color tube and how much and how u send it.  You will end up sending
to agrigenomics in Illinios the address is there as well, also tube you will use for testing will have
purple tops  hope this helps

jbzdad

I think if you search DNA testing here you will get some good information... I have used Igenity with hair samples with good results... also used the Maine -anjou provider this year (hair again) with good results... quite a few threads from time to time about delays with agrigenomics

GKE Cattle

We did our genetic test with Igenity and got fast results,,think it was $52.00 for Th and Pha.  But please check their web site for sure.  They have a full price list on the site and if you have questions give them a call,,,when I called they were very pleasent and helpful and we had the test kits in a couple of days. 

jsuhr

What exactly are TH and PHA? I've seen a lot about them in shorthorn genetics. Is this a multi breed genetic trait? Is it good or bad? I'm interested to know more.

KSUwildcat2009

You can do a search for TH and/or PHA on here and you will find probably every bit of information you could ever want on the two, and then some!

There are a lot of Maines and Chis as well as crossbred/club calf cattle that have the mutated alleles too.  Some say its bad, some don't mind it.  In my opinion it's most important to manage it correctly, whether you think it's good or bad.