TH & PHA Testing

Help Support Steer Planet:

rmbcows

I know this subject used to be on here all the time, but tonight, I'm too tired to look for it.  Could someone please share the information, or point me in the right direction to the forms and place to send the blood samples?  The purple top tubes I remember.  Thanks!

<deadhorse>

leanbeef

We do most of our genetic testing through Igenity or GeneSeek. Both labs are owned by the same company now, so I'm not sure it really matters. I personally prefer the people at Igenity. If you do go with GeneSeek, don't assume that submitting the form electronically will work...it's an option on their form, but nobody ever seems to know where those go, and they'll be calling you with questions if a copy of the form isn't included with your samples when they get there.

http://igenity.com/pdfs/forms/Igenity%20Order%20Form%20Beef.pdf

http://www.neogen.com/Agrigenomics/pdf/SubmissionForms/BovineGeneticTesting.pdf

rmbcows

Thank you everyone!  It's good to see that there is now more than one place to get this testing done, last time I'd checked, it was all done at one place.  Does testing cost the same at these labs?  And I guess my next question is will/can they confirm parentage?  I have a couple I'd like to confirm. 

Gargan, the calf in my avitar is a Carpe Diem son out of one of my maine cows.  I wanted a black baldy heifer, but I wasn't too disappointed.  :)  Thinking of flushing her soon, she's been a great producer for me, and I have no daughters to carry on her line.  I might get my black baldy out of her yet.

leanbeef

From what I've seen, the genetic defect tests are roughly $24-26 per test at most labs. Several labs offer discounts for multiple tests run on one sample, so I would check on that if you need multiple tests on one animal. And yes...most can also do parentage. You'll either need DNA on file with the association or the lab or you'll need a sample of the potential sire's DNA along with the sample to be tested to that parent. Understand what you actually need before you send in your samples...I can have parentage confirmed for my records for $15 if I just need to verify my own records. If a sire has to be confirmed for registration--an ET calf for instance--the lab charges $45 for that. That's just the breed association & lab that I happen to be involved with...that prob varies. But there may be differences in pricing depending on what you need.