Thank you Jesus

Help Support Steer Planet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj

It looks like the shorthorn breed now has at least one AI sire by heatwave that looks like a Shorthorn but has very little Shorthorn blood in them. I was trying to think of a breed that heatwave is not on the way to destroying. Brawnvieh is the only one I think of. There is no way you can say with a straight face that the Red Angus,Angus,Simmental,Salers,Gelbvieh,Limousin, on and on doesn't have heatwave or th in their breed. This thing is really getting interesting as to what breed assciations are going to have to deal with. Thank goodness for ai and embryo transfer as we will get there in a hurry. I have to chuckle to myself and wonder how much has the showring destroyed the beef industry over the years. I can't see that the showring has ever got things right. We can't even judge structural correctness anymore cause cattle are doped up and whatnot to let them walk. I just think we are at a monumental time in the industry were a defect is really taking over a industry. I think it is a fascinating deal.

ShowmanQ

aj said:
It looks like the shorthorn breed now has at least one AI sire by heatwave that looks like a Shorthorn but has very little Shorthorn blood in them. I was trying to think of a breed that heatwave is not on the way to destroying. Brawnvieh is the only one I think of. There is no way you can say with a straight face that the Red Angus,Angus,Simmental,Salers,Gelbvieh,Limousin, on and on doesn't have heatwave or th in their breed. This thing is really getting interesting as to what breed assciations are going to have to deal with. Thank goodness for ai and embryo transfer as we will get there in a hurry. I have to chuckle to myself and wonder how much has the showring destroyed the beef industry over the years. I can't see that the showring has ever got things right. We can't even judge structural correctness anymore cause cattle are doped up and whatnot to let them walk. I just think we are at a monumental time in the industry were a defect is really taking over a industry. I think it is a fascinating deal.

This is only my personal opinion, but it is worth saying.
Everyone in the industry has their own opininons on how to do things, and what stock they can market. Let the people who choose to breed for the showring do so. Not one person is telling you you have to breed your females to Heatwave, carrier bulls, or any other type of genetics that you feel are "unfit" for the breed. There are plenty of successful breeders who continure to market cattle without following any "showring trends", (yes, even in the Shorthorn breed, ever hear of a little operation known as Wakaru?) If you don't want to raise show cattle, that's fine, but please at least limit the amount of bashing you do on the breeders who choose to do so, and successfully even. RAISE YOUR CATTLE HOW YOU WANT, AND ALLOW OTHERS THE SAME PRIVELEDGE.

frostback

NEWFLASH shorthorns were dealing with TH before they let this bull in the registry.

advocate

Shorthorns had th long before heatwave and as far as heatwave in the shorthorns whos gonna complain about hip and bone

showman ne

advocate said:
Shorthorns had th long before heatwave and as far as heatwave in the shorthorns whos gonna complain about hip and bone

apparently aj

aj

I just think its cool how a little fad is bleeding over into the Red Angus,Simmental,Gelbvieh, and on and on. Defects like dwarfism was weeded out. Th and pha are the cats meow in the showring end of it. I think it wil be interesting how it will get into a breed like the Red Angus and float around. No one thinks of it being a problem in that particular breed so no one tests for it. Then in 2020 your Red Angus champion bull will show up as th positive or something.

Show Heifer

aj said:
I just think its cool how a little fad is bleeding over into the Red Angus,Simmental,Gelbvieh, and on and on. Defects like dwarfism was weeded out. Th and pha are the cats meow in the showring end of it. I think it wil be interesting how it will get into a breed like the Red Angus and float around. No one thinks of it being a problem in that particular breed so no one tests for it. Then in 2020 your Red Angus champion bull will show up as th positive or something.

Can you show me PROOF that heatwave is in the red angus breed? Are you saying that you know of a breeder that has TH/PHA or is using heatwave?  If so, please give me names in a PM.

I agree that many purebred breeds have "extra breeds" in them. But to make such a strong statement.......

advocate

Carrier cattle should be in every breed there stouter harrier and look cooler ha ha jk

CAB

Hey the mini's are useful cattle. We need them to make jump steers for the clubbies!!! LOL. For Real.

carl s.

There is no way you can say with a straight face that the Red Angus,Angus,Simmental,Salers,Gelbvieh,Limousin, on and on doesn't have heatwave or th in their breed.

Huh?  You make that statement as if it's fact but act shocked that he's now in the Shorthorn breed?

That's like complaining there are liberals in San Fransisco.  Dude, Heatwave was in Shorthorns before those other breeds even knew he existed.

aj

I understand it is in the Shorthorn breed. It was a purebred Shorthorn cow that gave th to the heatwave line form the old Improver bull(bypassing Doublestuff).

shortyjock89

aj said:
I thought the minnis were different than the genetic dwarfs.

Mini Herfs can be dwarfs, Lowlines are NOT, and dwarfs are not allowed to be registered in their book.

carl s.

So it's just your standard anti-club calf rhetoric that you think people aren't tired of yet?

Cowfarmer65

3060 South McNaughton Rd. Douglas, ON. Can.
If you take a look at the pedigree on the cow that put th in Heatwave you will find she indeed wasn't purebred and I'm sure alot further from it that the American Registration says..........there is quite a discrepency on some pedigrees when they cross the border and try to put a Canadian paper on them. We must have different math???????

OH Breeder

Heatwave is 25% Shorthorn anything sired by him would be half of that (12.5%) without the cow contributing to the deal. That is alot higher percentage than most Chi's that are registered. My advice to you, start your own association and don't use his genetics. It is a pretty simple CHOICE.

Here is what I don't understand.  You run down the show cattle industry but you go to the shows with your cattle and put your bulls on display at the expo's. So which is it? You hate shows and show people or you are just a hypocrite. Seriously, at what point will you let that horse die. It should be just about hamburger by now.

OH Breeder

Cowfarmer65 said:
If you take a look at the pedigree on the cow that put th in Heatwave you will find she indeed wasn't purebred and I'm sure alot further from it that the American Registration says..........there is quite a discrepency on some pedigrees when they cross the border and try to put a Canadian paper on them. We must have different math???????

x3985239 BC TEX  is the granddam of heat wave the TH came from.
What am I missing here? did her genetics go off somewhere?

DCC_Cattle

I have one question and I have wondered this for a very long time.....
Why do people not understand that if you have a TH carrier, all you have to do is breed them to a Non-Carrier bull?!?!?! It seems so SIMPLE to me, but hey what do I know. I have quite a few carriers in my herd and I breed them to free bulls and have never had a problem. In my opinion the TH thing is blown way out of proportion and the people that are complaining and worried the most about it are probably the ones who do not even raise cattle or have one cow. All you have to do is use some common sense and be smart about it. If you are afraid of the carrier cattle, do not use them. Some will continue to use them because they are the better cattle. And as far as show cattle ruining the cattle industry...thats real simple too...if you dont like them, raise commercial cattle.

frostback

Cowfarmer65 said:

You lost me, where does Canada come into Heet Seekers pedigree?

Status
Not open for further replies.