The best bull today?

Help Support Steer Planet:

garybob

frostback said:
If that is so about Enticer, then how come we have never heard it from anyone else?  Why has the ASA not made this public yet?   

I'm not saying that what you claim about Enticer is not true, however why are we hearing this from you and not the ASA?  Of course, I would not be surprised if this is true,  considering the controversy that surrounded Rodeo Drive and the whole entire Hoyts Operation. 

Do you really think that the ASA would tell us the truth about anything they know of. HUNSLEY and his group knew about TH for years and he got out just before it blew up in our faces.
[/quote]At least, Doc Hunsley's "Bottom Line" article, each month was related to Beef cattle Genetics. So was Bolze's "Clear Focus". The current Ex. Sec. just taks show stuff and Office Administration hurdles.

GB

shortyjock89

Yep, takes a long time to get our papers back, and takes almost forever for a transfer to take place.  Doesn't seem to matter that the papers are filled out correctly like they say it does.  It IS getting better, but still takes a while.

oakbar

Last year the wait for papers was horrible.  This year I've been doing them on-line and overall it seems to be  pretty quick turnaround.  The only errors on my last batch of papers were ones that I made on the input form. 

JbarL

sometimes this gets real confusing to me....#1... it puts me into perspection of the actual longevitiy of my project (i started a tick less than 2 yrsago ).....the information i have gianed here has been tremendous....i am starting my  first f1 crosses next next may.....the pics, testimonies, diagreements/ points /counter points ...corrections/apoligies/ fueds/ and friendships ive enjoyed here has created such vast array of high quality cattle to use and sound infromation to make my choices ......#2  the willingingness of those who are adding advice on this board based on years and years of experience  from "hands on"  thechnology  way before the internet....i commend humbly...yoiur willings to use these tools and share information your "livelyhood" has given you the "ole fashion" way is recogionized and truley reguarded here....as are the others who have succeced and failed as well....... the best bull to me "now"  is the one who gives me a high conception rate...healthy calves....retains condition at a low cost....wont kick me or my help in the face.....stay in the fence... load up/load out of the trailer without a fuss/..... work well for me for antoher 2 yrs.....prove hisself with his  porgeny, and sell at a fair price and work for someone else  as well.......this topic has given me time to reflect on my upcomming decisions for 09......so many decisions/ so much "good" stuff....but it really boils down to what fits me....this year....then next....then the next....thanks to all....and i'm sure i'll be seeking advice before nexts yrs  thaw....thanks  jbarl

DL

Telos said:
DL... So glad you're posting again and hope all is well.

Telos - am good, busy and you may be alone in that sentiment!  ;D

justintime

I don't think I should have to stand up for Doc Hunsley, Ron Bolze or Greg Reuhle, or anyone else but I get the idea that some people would complain if God himself decided to run the ASA. Personally, I think anyone should be thankful for the job each of these men has done and is doing. All three have been excellent managers despite their different approaches and vision as to where the breed should be heading. I happen to think this is good and I think each has done an excellent job of moving the breed forward.

I have no idea where this myth developed about Doc Hunsley hiding the TH defect for years came from. That is as far from the truth as it can possibly  be. The facts are that the first reported cases arrived at the ASA in early 1999. Three cases from Canada and three from the US were reported. Hunsely started gathering information at this point in time, and he wrote his first article informing the membership in early 2000 when it became apparent that there was more cases in the general Shorthorn population. I do not think most people have any idea how much work had to be done in the background to get the right information together complete with advice from legal advisors and genetists and the ASA board. Hunsley's retirement had nothing to do with the TH issue. He had considered retiring a couple years before TH was even known about but was talked into staying for another period of time. When he did retire he provided Bolze with all his research and assisted him in delaing with this issue. I think Hunsley did the right thing. I think he knew that the TH issue was going to be a long term issue and I think he thought it was better to hand over the reins to a new Executive Secretary rather than leave midstream so to speak. I think Hunsley did much more than anyone will ever know to research, document and develop a plan to deal with this genetic defect and I think he did a very good job of protecting the ASA from major legal suits.

Ron Bolze was also a very good man for the job and his main focus was on developing more markets in the commercial area. I think this was a good thing. I think his move to the Red Angus Association was simply a career move that he felt was too good to turn down. I personally think he would have been crazy not to take this job as it was something he had been heading towards in his career, and it may have never appeared again if he had passed it up.

I also think Greg Reuhle brings a fresh approach to this position. He is a very personable man with great values and he is a family man. I like what I see. I think he is knowledgeable and has some excellent ideas. I hope the membership will give him a chance and not just sit back and complain about everything that the ASA office does. Just remember, any association is only as good as its membership... or as they say in politics... you get the government the people deserve...  nothing more.

I maybe should not have mentioned some of the things I did in previous posts and I did not do it to open a hornets nest. I did it simply because I was getting really tired of all this arguing amongst people as to what is wrong in the breed. I often think it would be so refreshing if everyone would, even for a few months, agree to only talk about what was right in regards to the breed. Negativiity only breeds more negativity... and nothing good will ever come from it. So, I would suggest as I have said many times before on this website.... use the genetics you want to use, quit trashing the ones you don't want to use... be willing to call the good ones good ... no matter what their pedigree is and no matter if it is appendix or so called purebred...and strive to produce the best cattle you can...... try to enjoy the postive things this breed has... and try to have some fun while you are doing it. If you cannot find it in yourself to be positive and happy.... well, I would suggest you are never going to do this or any other breed any good. I am sure I will get trashed for saying this, but I am really tired of so many people never having a good thing to say about anything. I cannot even imagine how long life must seem for these people. I have said enough.

chambero

Amen!  I hear enough griping every where else.  Elected officials and leaders of organizations/companies have the biggest bullseyes on them and get accused of so many underhanded things they never even thought of.  The problem with conspiracies is people forget how impossible it is to keep a secret.

knabe

after reading battle of the runts, from what i can tell, the ASA moved faster on TH than hereford's did on dwarfism on fewer animals, though both counts were low, so that comparison is probably bogus.  also, molecular biology was peaking at a time to be cost effective to not have to do test breedings.  think of the mess we'd be in if we had to do test breedings and people like dr. beever, barrel racer, DL and others didn't step up to the plate (and also with PHA) with their own resources for the good of mankind.

Dutch Acres

TheTruth said:
Doc said:
TheTruth , I agree with showmanq, we all know your opinion on club calves & genetic defects by now ,so give it a rest. To compare TH & PHA to using "crack" ,is really going out there & in my opinion nowhere  close to being the same. 
  OHB has brought up a good point , in asking what the breeding of animals  in your herd are. We had a gentleman on here one time by username of "cwa" , who talked about not making certain choices just because of the chance to make a profit(which I thought was the name of the game) & how everyone is ruining the Shorthorn breed now with the cattle out there. Then we found out he didn't even own a cow, had just worked for someone that raised Shorthorns 15 years or so ago. So it's real easy to talk "ideals" when someone is not affected directly.
I value yours & everyones opinion on here & have learned a lot on here, some stuff concerning cattle & some things, not. So keep posting , but when the horse is down & not moving anymore, put the club away , please.

You totally missed the point Doc when I was talking about being good stewards of what God has given us. 

Is Enticer semen still available.  I have been looking for it and been unable to find it anywhere

I really do not owe you any explanation, however I will share with you what 80 percent of my herd is made up of: 

A commercial herd that consists of mainly Super Dazzler, Dividend, Enticer, and Guinness genetics.   

Satisfied? 

FYI, not every player in the game agrees with what is happening in the mainstream, "Shorthorn World". 

Doc

Dutch Acres, On the Enticer semen try Wayne Temple at Waymar at 815-223-8905. That's his mom's number but she takes messages for him. If he doesn't have any let me know ,I might let go of some.

Davis Shorthorns

Dutch Acres said:
TheTruth said:
Doc said:
FYI, not every player in the game agrees with what is happening in the mainstream, "Shorthorn World". 

I for one am not happy with the way that somethings are going.  ANY animal that has a BW EPD of over 9 (salute) should be cut.  Any TH or PHA positive animal sorry... Same thing 

Show Heifer

I admit I haven't read word for word all of the post....I just got too sick and tired of reading about shorties. So some of this might have been mentioned.

RA - Gotta go with Mulberry, or High Capacity 224.
Angus - Neutron 224 (maybe dead??)
Bucking bulls - Yellow Jacket

And I can't mention the ultimate bull....as he is a top secret "builder of the future" and the owner does not want the publicity and therefore the money that would come with it. It is a strange breed, and one that is not "popular" but I can tell ya, he has sired not only purple ribbon winners, but also had steers ave a 15 inch REA, and nothing under a choice (he had some primes...imagine that!!) In a commercial environment his calves gain around a 4-4.5 with a conversion of 3.5 to 1.  All this while being used on "common cows".  All this while being gentle as a kitten!! It is truely a shame I am so respectful of the owners request of privacy.....he  would do many herds a lot of good!!!!

DL

Great secret bulls are like great secret people - they fall into different categories - and yes around the nation there are great bulls in pastures that have never or not yet been discovered and never or not yet promoted, so here are my picks

Bucking bull - Little Yellow Jacket (son of Yellow Jacket)
Maternal Maine bull - FR Magic (sired by Smithbilt)
Discovered Maine bull - Majors Money Man (he was just working when he was discovered, actually I think it was his daughters that lead to his discovery)
All around Red Angus - Red Fine Line Mulberry
Shorthorn - I gotta go with Gizmo, but am liking the looks and reports of Leroy
Dairy bull - haven't a clue but if you hum a few bars ~!

All these bulls are structurally correct, can (or  could when alive) walk, had (or have) longevity and appear to pass that on to their females which IMHO is a big part of making a bull great.

Latest posts