The Best Genetics

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

I started this thread in response to the classified ad of someone "pre-selling" an unborn calf.

I bought an ET preg. The genetics were two of the biggest names in show cattle. The calf had every bad trait of the parents;shallow gut, narrow top, fine boned, short necked, slick haired, sickle hocked toed out and was so nutty he went to the stock yards. We tried everything know to man to calm him with NO avail. I even had the calf DNA tested to confirm he was what he was suppose to be.

How do you know you are going to get a saleable calf from an ET pregancy? Do you take a chance on it and gamble? That was the one and only I have ever bought. Just because they "come from" champions would you buy them?

kanshow

I don't know how you could guarantee a saleable calf - it's a gamble.  I suppose if you had seen some flushmates out and like them it might be a bit more of a sure thing.     

Really though, anytime you breed an animal - natural, AI, putting in ET's  - it's a crap shoot until it hits the ground and you see what you have.