The Cure to TH and PHA ;)

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

to me, this sounds almost like cloning.

i would be interested in cell fate studies, as the apparatus for making mitochodria is in genomic dna.

i woudln't get too excited about this (my personal opinion)

is there a point where, for whatever reason, the genomic generated mitochondria infrastructure takes over the donor portion, and the disease manifestation is simply delayed?

also of note, no mention is made of methylation differences between the "true" mother and "donor" mother.

the intentions seem ok

they quote
"Similar experiments have been conducted in animals in Japan, and has already led to the birth of healthy mice who had their mitochondria genes corrected."

i would like to see the proof of that, and if the copies in the genomic portion (germ line) are corrected, so that the offspring from them have their genomic portion corrected.  if not, this is yet another way to create "ladies in waiting"

now, think about this.  essentially, we humans have been selecting against "natural" selection, finding new ways to get around barriers.  when, not if, these numbers reach a critical mass, what will this hold for human population?

will it be "discriminatory" to pick one's mate based on modification to one's genome?  selection has basically been turned upside down in one respect, similar to the ramp up of c-section births, a certain percentage found to be unnecessary.  men, in general, seem to have an affinity for wide hips, i know i do.  recently though, this too has been turned upside down as the anemic look is taking over.

DL

shortyisqueen said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080205/ap_on_sc/embryo_research

I think it would be easier to breed smart and breed clean  ;) but who knows

Show Heifer

Hot off the presses (or TV - since I watch so much of it). Over in Europe (England- I think) they have successfully taken an egg from the mother which had mitochondrial disease, and used a "donor egg" from a genetcally healthy mother and replaced the defective mitochondra then fertilized it with the sperm of the father. They have never let this embryo grow past a 7-10 days if I understand. That study is to be coming to see if it would be a viable, undefective fetus. But the science is there.
Disclaimer: I have been on LARGE dosages of meds, so some the details might not be 100% correct, but it was on ABC. That I do know!!

garybob

DL said:
shortyisqueen said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080205/ap_on_sc/embryo_research

I think it would be easier to breed smart and breed clean  ;) but who knows
Amen! Tell it all, my Sister, tell it all!

Much, much cheaper to breed clean. Wonder what guys like Mr. Lovaas would think? What about Dover Sindelar, Mary-Bell Cooksley, or even Kit Pharo would think of this waste of technology?

GB

Show Heifer

red said:
Show Hef-did you catch the Denver Crud like so many did?

Don't know.....dr. said it started as viral, then went bacterial, now having lots of reactions to meds. But, today was a better day....actually stayed awake for 6 hours in a row. Pathetic I know. :p
But having great luck lambing....so I guess I will take the trade!

Barrel Racer

Just wanted to say..interesting article...  and to add that the technology is out there (probably needs refined of course), but we should be able to "correct" a mutation in a cell line.  Not using the technology in this article but a sort of recombination protocol.  So for example, we could make a PHAF Irish Whiskey.  I believe there is a paper coming out soon that involves this sort of technology.

knabe

here's too much information

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=408449

also interesting reading
http://hmg.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/8/2/173

By typing >3500 sperm, we determined the size distribution of Huntington's disease (HD) germline mutations produced by 26 individuals from the Venezuelan cohort with CAG/CTG repeat numbers ranging from 37 to 62.

bottom line?  dna is relatively stable, but not absolutely so, even in different sperm from one individual.  couple this with hot spots like the polled gene, and it's pretty easy to see how the best breeding screens can go awry.  breeding is essentially a screening process similar to how pharma screen genes or compounds, or how loan companies qualify people for what type of loan.