The diary of a wanna be show girl...

Help Support Steer Planet:

katie_k

im useing this to keep record of all my adventures in the beef world and keep asking questions and getting advice.

today i finally get my clippers!  these are the first big investment in my calves that i have made.  they are a pair of gold oster clipmaster variable speeds.  they were used but were saposed to be reconditioned. i got them for $125. i was so proud that i had found such a great deal but today when they came i opend them and saw the lower part of the blades had four or five teeth broken off. so i called the company  ( sullivans supply) and they apologised and sent me a replacement set of blades.  i also was going to work with calves today but it started to rain right after school so i had to put it off until another day.  i live in town and found a really nice guy to work with who let me basically show and "have" his animals as my own for little or nothing.  i dont own any of these animals but they are called mine because i am there caretaker.  i was so happy when i found him because i have always just been facinated with cattle espetially beef cattle and was over joyed to get a chance to work with them. this is all until next time! 

ps any NICE or HELPFUL coments welcome. if you have somthing NEGATIVE to say dont, because i dont want to hear it.

sue

Shorthorn Girl said:
im useing this to keep record of all my adventures in the beef world and keep asking questions and getting advice.

today i finally get my clippers!  these are the first big investment in my calves that i have made.  they are a pair of gold oster clipmaster variable speeds.  they were used but were saposed to be reconditioned. i got them for $125. i was so proud that i had found such a great deal but today when they came i opend them and saw the lower part of the blades had four or five teeth broken off. so i called the company  ( sullivans supply) and they apologised and sent me a replacement set of blades.  i also was going to work with calves today but it started to rain right after school so i had to put it off until another day.  i live in town and found a really nice guy to work with who let me basically show and "have" his animals as my own for little or nothing.  i dont own any of these animals but they are called mine because i am there caretaker.  i was so happy when i found him because i have always just been facinated with cattle espetially beef cattle and was over joyed to get a chance to work with them. this is all until next time! 

ps any NICE or HELPFUL coments welcome. if you have somthing NEGATIVE to say dont, because i dont want to hear it.
I love it. I think you are exactly the showmen my Niece will turn out to be. She is 7 and showed for her 1st time last summer.

taylor tay

Shorthorn Girl said:

Wow this is awesome idea!

SouthWest

Congrats, you are off to a great start.  I like how you say investment.  It sure is.  You have a great mind set.  Keep that diary like an accountant keeps its books.  Up to date and precise.  I don't know how many people have told me how they wish they had written something down.  You also are very fortunate to have the opportunity offered to you.  I hope you think of him/her as a mentor.  I also had a person similar to yours. One thing he told me was,"son, there's no such thing as a stupid question to me.  It shows me that you are willing to listen and learn.  I prefer you learn right the first time.  Cause around cattle, there is no such thing as a small mistake."  Use this advice.  Ask your mentor many questions.  Write it all down.  Down the road, you will be so thankful you asked all them questions.  I miss my mentor and his generation.  I wish they still made us strong, smart, humble, and witty like they used to.  Good luck in your future and keep up the great work.

katie_k

Well yesterday was another rainy day so i missed another chance to work with calves. today i think im going after school.  THis makes me so mad, im having to literally get down on my knees and grovel for my parents to let me show and they think that it would be too expensive and time consuming  but now they are letting my dad buy a plane and spend like a ton of time learning to fly, and thats not expensive or time consuming?  im just frustrated.  more after i work calves.

ghostrider

Wow, just think how much space it would take if all of the posters here chose to use this forum as a diary... I'm really not against you Shorthorn Girl, but I think maybe a blog would be better suited to those purposes. I'm not asking you not to post on this forum, but please use it for particular questions or discussions rather than a daily log of your thoughts, even if they do involve your project.

katie_k

im using it as a continueing topic so i can ask questions and get advice with out createing a new topic

jaimiediamond

Shorthorn Girl said:
im using it as a continueing topic so i can ask questions and get advice with out createing a new topic

There is no harm in asking a question when you have one.  I think that your enthusiasm for cattle is wonderful and I am sure that even those who have negative opinions agree.  Being on steer planet is a great learning tool, you can search previous topics to see if you question has already been answered as well.  There is some great information posted by people that aren't even active anymore. 

I think that you can open new topics for questions, that will make it easier for everyone to reference in our own learning curves.  With that said perhaps you should start a blog that could truly be fun.  Good luck with your showing!!!

katie_k

ok so i worked with my calves tonight and but were they moody!  my steer who usually is an angel was really orniry.  he just didnt want to do anything.  and my heifer, Destiny, walks like an angel. absolutly wonderful stride and stops on her show side set up most times.  but when it comes to anything but walking shes out.  what might i be able to do to get them to work better?  how can i get destiny to work a little nicer when we are not working.  and how can i get my steer to start gaining a little more hes still kinda green.

katie_k

its so strange because i have never wanted anything so much in my life. its just everything that i want and i cant figure out why no one is supporting it! all i want to do is show cattle and be with them, ive been facinated with them for most of my life. and no one realises how much these things mean to me.  what should i do?

Bradenh

I thaink Ima get me a little diary so I can always bump it and everybody can see my name in a computer?? If u want a diary do it on your FFA record site. That's what it's for, there is not one other person on here with a diary!!!!!

The Show

Shorthorn Girl said:
Well yesterday was another rainy day so i missed another chance to work with calves. today i think im going after school.  THis makes me so mad, im having to literally get down on my knees and grovel for my parents to let me show and they think that it would be too expensive and time consuming  but now they are letting my dad buy a plane and spend like a ton of time learning to fly, and thats not expensive or time consuming?  im just frustrated.  more after i work calves.
What kind of plane?

LostFarmer

Shorthorn Girl said:

Save the drama for your mama or maybe your llama. 

FutureBreeder2013

Shorthorn Girl said:
its so strange because i have never wanted anything so much in my life. its just everything that i want and i cant figure out why no one is supporting it! all i want to do is show cattle and be with them, ive been facinated with them for most of my life. and no one realises how much these things mean to me.  what should i do?

That sounds exactly like me. My advise is to stick with it and dont quit.

ShowCalves2010

Show stopper 95 said:
I thaink Ima get me a little diary so I can always bump it and everybody can see my name in a computer?? If u want a diary do it on your FFA record site. That's what it's for, there is not one other person on here with a diary!!!!!

haha