The Last Straw

Help Support Steer Planet:

Endless Meadows

DL,

Thanks for the clarification and correcting me.  I would have to say given the free status there is a pretty good chance it will come off of the will not use list.

linnettejane

WFCC said:
zach said:
I was about to say don't toss the rambo! If we had the right kind of cow, we would breed her to Rambo for a replacement (super small angus cow)

KEEP THE RAMBO! the best daughter we ever had was a red rambo we brought back from wyoming from cal herrings! she flat out raised club calves!

i bought a red rambo daughter as a calf back in 1995...loved her to death...she had a great calf every year...i flushed her one time and got 17 grade ones!!! ...  kept her until this past fall when she developed a bad hip and was having trouble getting around, 14 years old...i think she would have kept on going if she didnt  have that injury...there wasnt a throw away calf in the bunch...her dam side was half angus half simmy

DL

Endless Meadows said:
DL,

Thanks for the clarification and correcting me.  I would have to say given the free status there is a pretty good chance it will come off of the will not use list.

Streamliner was a big red real world performance bull - I have a picture somewhere ......

Show Heifer

Salute - because I love my cows too much
Trump - because I do not have "the name" to use him
DaBull - What was I thinking?
Gambles Hot Rod - Will I have the right cow before I die?
Lut - No luck with him on my cows.

justintime

andy said:
J&H Mike's Cujo
Broome Quality
Manitoba Sunrise
Red Rose Ruffian
RB Eagle 157th

All decent bulls, but probably won't get used here as not breeding much Shorthorn.

I would not throw any of this out. I bet you could sell almost all of this semen at what you paid for it or more, especially the Sunrise, Quality and Eagle 157th. There is still some Mike's Cujo, and Ruffian around but I expect it would sell as well.

The only times I have tossed some semen I have regretted it later. Last night I had a phone call from a guy looking for some semen from a bull called Gloriadale Premium. I used to have some of this semen along with a few other Gloriadale sires, but I needed some room and I tossed it all. I could have sold all of it at very inflated prices today. Gloriadale Farms were one of the very first breeders of Polled Shorthorns and they dispersed in the mid 60s. Gloriadale Premium was one of the first polled bulls used at Huberdale Farms and he left some pretty impressive females.

In the last two years I have sold more semen that was over 30 years old, than I have from sires of the modern era. I sometimes wonder what people are thinking, but I guess whatever turns their crank!

In my tanks, I could probably find a few gems ( at least to someone). How about some Glenford Curt, who was the highest priced bull I ever sold. He was a US National Champion in 1985. I purchased him at the 1984 Regina Bull Sale for $15, 500. I was almost certain that he could be the next US National Champion, as he was 2 inches taller than any other bull being shown in the US. In that era, height was almost everything. Two hours after I purchased Curt, I was on a flight to Omaha, as the American Polled Shorthorn Congress show was the next day. I got into Omaha late in the evening. The next morning, I was eating breakfast, when a couple breeders joined me. Before I finished my breakfast, I was offered $15,500 for a 1/3 interest, based entirely on his hip height. Later that summer I sold the remaining 2/3 interest and possession to Granada Land and Cattle in Indiana, which was managed by Bill Wilson for $30,000. In our negotiations, I kept the Canadian rights and 800 doses of semen that I had collected. Later in January, he was named US National Champion.

I also have a few straws of Curt's sire, Ayatollah. I never used Ayatollah in my herd, but I inherited some of his semen from a neighbor. I probably could find some semen from a few bulls that no one on SP has ever heard of.... and probably never should!

iahogfarmer

got some proto, lucky dice, wild card, magnum, and whos got the heat that will probably never be touched lol

sue

Show Heifer said:
Salute - because I love my cows too much
Trump - because I do not have "the name" to use him
DaBull - What was I thinking?
Gambles Hot Rod - Will I have the right cow before I die?
Lut - No luck with him on my cows.
Show Heifer is the right name for Trump...silly

Cowfarmer65

3060 South McNaughton Rd. Douglas, ON. Can.
JIT, I'm surprised at your statement regarding the old semen and not knowing what people are thinking..........What's the pedigree on HC Mists Return ........old semen is it not or did you Cryogenically freeze Highfield Irish Mist. So to say to each his own is correct........I personally would love to find some old Rodney semen. He'd be considered a giant today as when he was on display at the Central Experimental Farm he weighed over 3000 lb. The best bull I've ever had was a Rodney son from Scotsdale(full brother to Benvale Top Choice). Never pulled a calf and these calves were made right.

justintime

Cowfarmer65 said:
JIT, I'm surprised at your statement regarding the old semen and not knowing what people are thinking..........What's the pedigree on HC Mists Return ........old semen is it not or did you Cryogenically freeze Highfield Irish Mist. So to say to each his own is correct........I personally would love to find some old Rodney semen. He'd be considered a giant today as when he was on display at the Central Experimental Farm he weighed over 3000 lb. The best bull I've ever had was a Rodney son from Scotsdale(full brother to Benvale Top Choice). Never pulled a calf and these calves were made right.

Cowfarmer... I agree 100% about some bulls from the past, but some breeders are just buying anything that is old... regardless of the quality of the animal. There are several bulls from the 60s and 70s that deserve to be used again especially on some of today's cows.  There are others that are probably left forgotten. By the way, I think I do have 1 vial of Scotsdale Rodney. There are a few Scotsdale bulls from the 60s and early 70s that I was like to have semen on. Some of these bulls were way ahead of their time.

justintime said:
andy said:
I also have a few straws of Curt's sire, Ayatollah. I never used Ayatollah in my herd, but I inherited some of his semen from a neighbor. I probably could find some semen from a few bulls that no one on SP has ever heard of.... and probably never should!

There was a reason old Ayatollah was so big.  He was 68.7% Milking Shorthorn, 25% Illawarra, and 6.3 % Red Holstein.  He will help your Milk EPD's.

Cowfarmer65

3060 South McNaughton Rd. Douglas, ON. Can.
I see now where you were going with that JIT. Agreed. There were some awesome Scotsdale bulls and you are right some ahead of their times. Funny though when I was a kid I heard some say Scotsdale cattle were behind the times... yet they still topped the sales in Ont. at the time. Emerson Clarke and I had a long discussion about 25 years ago and his advice to me was to breed cattle that are " middle of the road". He said "don't follow trends as you usually will get their too late. If you keep middle of the road cattle, the traffic will meet you going both ways." Pretty good advice, I thought. I enjoy leafing through my Dads collection of Shorthorn Worlds and always seem to remark that in the 50's and 60's every noted breeder in the States was using Canadian bulls. Have you ever thought of a flush to Rodney? Your Elsie Jade cow might be a wicked combination.

kwltlkl

OK, here my thought (maybe not a good thought, but a thought, nevertheless).  Because the semen did not work on your cows, maybe they will click on others. Hard to argue with that.  Why not merge the idea of this thread with the "Free Semen for a Junior in need" thread.  I would think there are cattle producers (including myself) across this great nation who would donate semen to juniors.  Why not have a central location where if a junior member wants the free semen, they can have it (save the cost of shipping to them).  If a semen center would agree to donate storage for the semen, breeders would ship (at their expense) the semen to the semen center.  Juniors would have a central inventory list to pick from and not have to think about multiple shipping costs.  To hold lid on the costs for the semen center, if the donated semen is not requested in one year (or pick another number), it would be discarded.  If we really want to help juniors, then the breeder paying the shipping to central location should be manageable.  Of course this could be wreck if people donate high BW bulls and the juniors are not set-up to handle that, but not sure what you would do with that deal.