The Lowline Angus Story...

Help Support Steer Planet:

TJ

“TJ, if you would ever like to do a piece on the history of the lowliners & some of the notable ones, we'd love it!...”
Red

OK, Red, here you go...

The Lowline Angus Story (Part 1)
What are they? 

Lowline Angus are a small framed, black & polled breed of 100% Angus cattle that are the direct result of an Australian government research experiment.  The ancestry of Lowline Angus, can be traced all the way back to the eastern Scotland counties of Aberdeen & Angus, where the Angus breed was developed.  However, Lowline Angus, are not “today’s Angus”.   Lowline Angus originate from a herd that has been closed to outside animals since 1964, so they are very similar in size to the smaller sized Angus cattle that were common in the United States back in the 1940’s & 1950’s.  To insure that purity is maintained, both the American Lowline Registry, as well as, the Australian Lowline Cattle Association, require that all fullblood Lowline animals MUST have both parents verified by DNA testing before they can be registered.       

For those seeking more information about Lowline Angus cattle, here is a link to the Australian Lowline Cattle Association...

http://lowline.une.edu.au/

TJ

The Lowline Angus Story (Part 2)
Where did they come from? 

Back in 1929, the Trangie Research Centre established an Angus herd in an effort to provide high quality breeding stock for the Australian cattle industry.  The first seed stock were imported from the famous  Glencarnock Angus Herd in Manitoba, Canada.  The animals originally imported, consisted of two bulls, Glencarnock Revolution and Brave Edward Glencarnock, 1 cow/calf pair, and 17 heifers and they became the foundation of the Trangie Angus herd.  Both bulls were from the Blackcap Revolution family, which produced several champions at the Chicago International Show, back in the 1920's.

The Trangie herd enjoyed lots of success at the Royal Sydney Show with their Blackcap revolution genetics, so they decided to import another cow, Blackcap Bixie 2nd, who was carrying Glencarnock Blackcap Eric, which was later named the Grand Champion bull at Sydney in 1933.  After that, only a very limited amount of bulls & females were imported from Scotland, Canada & the United States.  In 1963, the emphasis of the Trangie herd shifted toward research, so the herd was closed to outside animals forever in 1964.       

Then in the early 1970’s, the Trangie researchers began the experiment on 3 different groups of cattle within the herd.  Those 3 groups consisted of...

The “High Line”...     These were the largest/highest growth rate cattle within the herd.
The “Low Line”...     These were the smallest /lowest growth rate cattle within the herd.
The “Control Line”... These were the average size & growth rate cattle within the herd. 

After 15 years of selective breeding, the “Low Line” herd stabilized at 30% smaller than the “High Line cattle“.  The 30% smaller size allowed the “Low Lines” to be stocked at higher rates than larger cattle, which meant that more total lbs. of beef, could be produced per acre.  The results of the experiment, led progressive Australian’s to purchased the entire “Low Line” herd in 1992 & 1993 and to form the Australian Lowline Cattle Association right after the first group of Lowlines were purchased in 1992.     

(Note - I am thankful to numerous friends within the Lowline breed, both in the US & Australia, for providing me much of that information over the last several years.)

TJ

The Lowline Angus Story (Part 3) 
Why cross with Lowlines?

A few reasons...

They are 100% pure Angus cattle, but they are not “today’s Angus”
(Maximum heterosis/Hybrid vigor, plus higher stocking rates & tremendous carcass quality).   

They produce more high dollar cuts per pound....  Ultra-sound data has shown incredible measurements topping 1.5 inches of Rib Eye per 100 lbs. of body weight in some Lowline animals!!

They will produce high quality meat (tender & marbled). 

They will convert feed at a very efficient rate.  A new GeneStar test in Australia, which measures potential for feed efficiency, shows that so far, many of the Lowlines tested are carrying high numbers of genes that improve feed efficiency rates.         

They can be finished on grass alone. 
Cindy Jackson of Clarks Hill, IN had 2 of her 3 steers grade choice on grass alone in 2006!!

A very docile temperament is the norm in Lowline cattle.

Unbeatable calving ease when used on 1st calf heifers of “regular” size. 

You can downsize big frame cows in 1 generation. 

1/2 blood Lowline steers work and research proves it!  North Dakota State University's Dickinson Research Extension Center, ran a crossbreeding experiment, using Lowline bulls on "regular sized" commercial heifers.  The data that they collected on the 1/2 blood steer calves looks very promising.  I think that many will find the results of the Lowline cross steer calves both interesting & possibly surprising.  Here are the results...

The average frame score each year... 4.4 frame in 2004, 4.7 frame in 2005 and 4.8 frame in 2006. 

The average finishing weight... 1,186 lbs in 2004., 1,297 lbs. in 2005 & 1,179 lbs. in 2006.   

The average carcass value on the rail... $1,093 in 2004, $1,223 in 2005 & $1,074 in 2006. 

The average steer, during the 3 year period, averaged 92 cents per lb., (if they had been sold by live weight on the hoof) as finished steers!!     

TJ

The Lowline Angus Story (Part 4) 
How much interest are Lowline Cattle generating?

1 word... LOTS!!!!!

400+ active members & growing!  200+ head exhibited at the National Show (NWSS) & growing!

*Sale results for the 2007 National Sale, at the NWSS, in Denver...

The top 2 selling Bred Fullblood heifers at Denver sold for $26,000 & $19,000. 
The top selling open Fullblood  heifer sold for $18,750. 
The 2 top selling Fullblood bulls sold for $17,000 & $15,000.     
The 2 top selling percentage females sold for $4,500 & $4,250
4 percentage bulls averaged $2,275
The top selling embryo package sold for $12,400 (4 embryo’s @ $3,100 each!!)
The top selling semen lot sold for $4,500 ($100 per unit average!!)

94 total lots grossed $494,150 to average $5,257

***For the Shorthorns fans... An open Lowline X Shorthorn heifer sold for $3,600 at the American Royal in 2006.

***For the Clubby Fans...   A bred Lowline X All About You (daughter) sold for $9,500 at Denver in 2006.

***And if by chance a BueLingo fan reads this... An open Lowline X BueLingo sold for $3,500 at Denver in 2007.       

TJ

Speaking of 1/2 blood Lowlines... This is a 1/2 blood heifer that I raised in 2005 out of a 1st calf Tarentaise heifer.  She was 2 weeks old in this picture.  She weighed 52 lbs. at birth & her mother calved back 1 month earlier that next year.   

Also, I have Lowline semen for sale on Doc Holliday, a Fullblood, imported, Lowline bull.    

My email address is [email protected]

My website address is...  www.kylowline.com

Thanks!
TJ

Attachments

• TJheifer-LLxTA.jpg
    TJheifer-LLxTA.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 837

TJ

RE the use of Lowlines on big cows...

Dori Steckley, formerly an Angus Breeder in WY & the current owner of Genesis Livestock in MI, sent me this photo of a 1/2 blood Lowline bred heifer that she raised.  The dam of this bred heifer was an 1800 lb. Angus cow, whom, according to Dori, probably would've gone a ton if she had been fed up for the showring.  Dori stated that she wasn't very good at guessing frame scores, but you can get a fairly good idea by looking at the photo as to where this bred heifer comes up to on the exhibitor.  I was granted permission by Dori to use this photo to help promote Lowline crosses.  This photo was taken by Browarny Photography.

1 more thing... Dori, mentioned that her fitter & another woman are currently using her Lowline bull, ABF Fitz (Fitz semen is available), on shorthorn cows to produce show calves.  Dori's website is... http://www.lowlinecattle.com/   

Attachments

• Felicity2003.jpg
    Felicity2003.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 787

red

Wow TJ!
When DL gives out her next round of awards, I'll make sure she has a special one for you.
Great history & info!

Red

TJ

red said:
Wow TJ!
When DL gives out her next round of awards, I'll make sure she has a special one for you.
Great history & info!

Red

Thanks, Red!  I just hope that I didn't post too much info...

TJ

DL

TJ - really good info - thanks - there were some Lowlines on display at the Expo a couple of years ago - I was amazed at how calm they were as a bull of different breed tried to jump over a gate into their exhibit - and the people just lead those cattle away! and the snorthing bull kept snorting! :mad:

TJ

dragon lady said:
TJ - really good info - thanks - there were some Lowlines on display at the Expo a couple of years ago - I was amazed at how calm they were as a bull of different breed tried to jump over a gate into their exhibit - and the people just lead those cattle away! and the snorthing bull kept snorting! :mad:

Thanks, DL!  My experience with Lowlines is real similar to the one that you shared about the Expo display.  Dori even stated that the Angus dam, of the above pictured 1/2 blood heifer, could have a pretty bad attitude at times (especially when her calf was born each year), but that 1/2 blood Lowline heifer is just like a pet kitten.  Not only that, all of Lowline calves out of that heifer have been the same way.  So, even when crossbreeding, the resulting Lowline X calves should still be doclie in nature.  Now does that mean that every Lowline is kitty cat gentle?  No, but the majority are. 

Which leads me to this point... since Lowlines are really docile cattle & seem to pass that docile nature on,  that is a big reason why I think that crossbred Lowlines will be the perfect match for younger/smaller/less experienced exhibitors, not to mention really easy on 1st half heifers.  So many young kids in this area are now showing goats & a few sheep, but very few kids are showing cattle... It used to not be that way around here & I believe that safety issues with young kids handling big steers is a big part of that reason.  For those reasons & others, I really do think that Lowline cross calves could perfectly fill a niche in the show calf business for younger/smaller/less experienced exhibitors & light weight steer calves.     

Now with all that said, do I think that a 1/2 blood Lowline will ever win Grand Champion Fat Steer @ the NAILE?  Most likely not.  Although I could legitimately see a 1/4 Lowline doing it (1/2 blood Lowline x Clubby or Shothorn female back to a Clubby bull).  But, I do think that the 1/2 blood Lowline steers, out of clubby or shorthorn heifers, could stand some heat in the light weight classes.  And sometimes those light weight classes pay pretty good too... at least they did @ the KY State Fair back when my sister was showing  ;).    But even beyond the steer calves, Lowlines cross females will have many advantages too.  For instance, just picture the calves out of Dori's 1/2 blood heifer if she was ever flushed to a top clubby bull.  I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't have a bit of trouble selling them & getting some decent money out of them too!!  ;) 

garybob

What about the lowline bull crossed onto more performance-oriented Shorthorns, not the clubb-stuff? Seems the only thing everyone on here associates Shorthorns with, is hair, color, and trophies! "Major Leroy" is a better bull than "Major Impact".

TJ

garybob said:
What about the lowline bull crossed onto more performance-oriented Shorthorns, not the clubb-stuff? Seems the only thing everyone on here associates Shorthorns with, is hair, color, and trophies! "Major Leroy" is a better bull than "Major Impact".

I want to start by saying that I am not a Shorthorn breeder, at least not yet, so I am not familiar with enough Shorthorn lines to differentiate between all of the performance-oriented lines and the lines that are more geared towards the clubby industry.  I do know that in every breed of cattle, certain lines naturally work better in the ring, while others work better in a hardworking, commercial environment and some lines are capable of producing great results in both areas.  It all boils down to genes and what people have selected for. 

I looked at a picture of Major Leroy and he impressed me!!  Major Impact looked good too.  All I can go by are pictures & I don’t know anything about their histories, so it is hard for me to say too much about them, but it looks like you may have nailed it. 

Your question was asked in general terms, so I can only answer in general terms...

Angus usually cross very well on any breed of cattle, including Shorthorns.  The Murray Grey is a cross between Shorthorn & Angus.  Also, the Durham Red is a Shorthorn X Red Angus cross.  Since Lowlines are 100% Angus, they will also cross very well on Shorthorn cattle.  With that said, the better the Shorthorn, the better the cross will be.  Also, the better the Lowline, the better the cross will be. 

IMHO, in crossbreeding programs, Lowlines should be used to greatly improve calving ease in 1st calf heifers, to downsize larger framed cows, to stout-en up & add volume, to improve forage utilization, to improve feed efficiency, to increase stocking rates, to naturally de-horn ever single calf, to greatly improve dispositions, to improve carcass traits, etc.  Those are most of the reasons that a person should want to cross with a Lowline. 

Will the Lowline cross fit into everyone’s goals & plans?  No, they wont.  However, if you like 4 framed (most 1/2 Lowlines are 48 inch tall cows), that are very efficient cattle, then the Lowline crosses will work very well for you, when used strategically & correctly.   

I hope that I answered your question.

Thanks!
TJ

Show Heifer

I must admit, I hadn't read this post until this morning (am so tired of seeing mud, I thought I would "chill out".)  I read the classified posts first, then this one. All with great interest.
Last year at the Iowa State Fair I spoke with a Lowline breeder after viewing the cattle display. And she (the breeder) and others that had cattle on display, were the nicest, friendliest folks I had talked to in awhile! Very knowledgeable on their cattle, history, and where they fit into the cattle industry, and trust me, it wasn't "this bull is really hairy and has progeny winning every show", nor was it "your asking too many questions. Go away, I have hair to brush."    :mad:
I am not sure if I would ever use a lowline, but the folks they have representing them, sure makes one think twice!!! How refreshing it was to speak to them after putting up with other "not to hospitable" folks in other breeds.
I will definately stop by at the Iowa State Fair again and take a look and say hello!!! (clapping)

red

I will admit, I've not heard someone promote their breed so well. I'm w/ Show Hef, TJ & the others have done a very good job of educating us!

Red

TJ

Show Heifer said:
I must admit, I hadn't read this post until this morning (am so tired of seeing mud, I thought I would "chill out".)  I read the classified posts first, then this one. All with great interest.
Last year at the Iowa State Fair I spoke with a Lowline breeder after viewing the cattle display. And she (the breeder) and others that had cattle on display, were the nicest, friendliest folks I had talked to in awhile! Very knowledgeable on their cattle, history, and where they fit into the cattle industry, and trust me, it wasn't "this bull is really hairy and has progeny winning every show", nor was it "your asking too many questions. Go away, I have hair to brush."    :mad:
I am not sure if I would ever use a lowline, but the folks they have representing them, sure makes one think twice!!! How refreshing it was to speak to them after putting up with other "not to hospitable" folks in other breeds.
I will definately stop by at the Iowa State Fair again and take a look and say hello!!! (clapping)

Show Heifer, I am glad to hear that you had a good experience with Lowline breeders at the Iowa State Fair!  For the most part, Lowline breeders are very friendly & like to do all that they can to help answer questions, etc.  Also, one thing is for certain, all of the Lowline breeders that I have run across love their Lowline cattle! 

I most likely will not be attending the Iowa State Fair  :( , but a lot of other Lowline breeders will be in attendance.  However, I plan to take a small string of Fullbloods to both Kansas City & Denver, so if you happen to attend either one of those shows, you are more than welcome to swing by!   

BTW, as my fullblood calves get older, I'll post some pics of my "LITTLE" string.  ;)

TJ

red said:
I will admit, I've not heard someone promote their breed so well. I'm w/ Show Hef, TJ & the others have done a very good job of educating us!

Red

Thanks, Red!  I keep looking at the smiley faces & I can't seem to find one for embarrassed/blushing!!  I just really like Lowlines & enjoy talking about them. 

farmboy

LETS SAYWE CROSSED THIS LOWLINE BLOOD WITH NORMAL SIZED CATTLE . THE CALF IS A BULL AND  I STEER HIM. BY 17 MONTHS OF AGE, CAN HE PACK ON ATLEAST A THOUSAND POUNDS? STEERS ARE GETTIN SHORTER SO I THOUGHT I'D GET A SHORT CALF WITH LOWLINE BLOOD AND A MAINE CROSS COW. MININMUN OF 1000lbs.  I LIKE THE LOWLINE LOOKS (clapping)

TJ

farmboy said:
LETS SAYWE CROSSED THIS LOWLINE BLOOD WITH NORMAL SIZED CATTLE . THE CALF IS A BULL AND  I STEER HIM. BY 17 MONTHS OF AGE, CAN HE PACK ON ATLEAST A THOUSAND POUNDS? STEERS ARE GETTIN SHORTER SO I THOUGHT I'D GET A SHORT CALF WITH LOWLINE BLOOD AND A MAINE CROSS COW. MININMUN OF 1000lbs.  I LIKE THE LOWLINE LOOKS (clapping)

ABSOLUTELY!!  Doc Holliday himself weighed 1200+ lbs. at 23 months & stood 46.5 inches tall.  So, yes, Doc's 1/2 blood steers should easily top 1000 lbs. @ 17 months, especially if the dam's have good genetics & if the steers are fed right. 

Also, N.D.S.U. Dickerson's research showed that over 3 years, their 1/2 blood Lowline steers,out of regular sized commercial heifers,were finishing at an average of 1220 lbs. with frame score averages for the 3 years at 4.4, 4.7 & 4.8 frames.  I don't know a thing about the bulls that North Dakota State Dickerson used in their tests, but Doc Holliday is one of the largest Lowline bulls in the breed @ 48 inches tall & 1350 lbs. @ 3 years & if I fed him a little grain, he'd easily top 1400 lbs.. I think he could be a 1500 lb. bull when all is said & done. 

My own experience with 1/2 blood steers is that they will finish over 1000 lbs., at 1 1/2 years of age, on grain.  Other breeders have told me that have experienced the same results.  Now, I am not saying that 1 freak calf out of 100 wont happen, but I feel very confident about 1/2 blood Lowline steers topping 1000 lbs. at 17 months of age... very confident! 

farmboy

SHOW UP TO THE FAIR AND ALL MY BUDDYS WATCH ME STRUT MY 46 INCH CALF AROUND AND WONDER WHAT IT IS (lol) IM DEFINENTLY GONNA TRY IT

TJ

farmboy said:
IM DEFINENTLY GOIN' TO TRY A HALFBLOOD CALF

Sounds good & I think that you will be happy with the results!

BTW, I don't know if you've seen the posts in classifieds, but I have semen available on my bull, Doc Holliday.  If you are interested, you can call me @ (270) 997-0041 or email me at [email protected] or send me a private message on this site. 

Also, in an effort to help our customers save on shipping costs, Doc Holliday semen can be picked up in west/central Indiana & western Tennessee.  Doc's co-owner, Cindy Jackson, said that she is willing to sell any amount out of her tank, in west/central Indiana (near Crawfordsville / Lafayette), with some advance notice.  It can also be picked up at the collection facility, in Jackson, TN, again, with advance notice.  It can also be shipped to anywhere in the US.     

Let me know if I can help you in anyway & thank you for your interest!!

TJ