The Maine Bull Bouncer?

Help Support Steer Planet:

SKF

We are getting ready to AI our heifers and we are using Bouncer. Has anyone used him if so how are his calves?

Joe Boy

I have used him and found him to be very easy to breed cows to..... they conceive easier than with many other bulls.  I will have to wait and tell you later in the Spring as to the type of calves he produces.  I like his adult picture.  I bred him to everything that had horns and is a PB Maine.  I talked to his owner before using him and was surprised to learn that the first time he was in the chute they haltered him and took him out of the chute and tied to a fence and clipped him.  I like gentle animals.  He has hair for those wanting it.  He is clean fronted.  He moves and travels well.  He has low bw's and his calves really grow.  I am really hoping on the 20th to get a bull calf from him out of a Cunia granddaughter.

knabe

skf, bouncer is a very unique bull.  vincent is very knowledgable about that bull and 4 generations back on the bottom side.  his great grand dam is still alive, 14 years old.  he is going to have the complete bovigen panel done shortly on that bull.  he says bouncer looks the same when he goes into pasture as when he comes out.  he's a pig producer and is very cognizant about a specific phenotype and he can break it down for you.  his calving ease is probably more than just a lower bw.  he probably has another trait i am interested in and it has something to do with maturity.  he's a counterintuitive bull from that perpsective.  hmm, longevity, a novel concept.

TJ

knabe said:
skf, bouncer is a very unique bull.  vincent is very knowledgable about that bull and 4 generations back on the bottom side.  his great grand dam is still alive, 14 years old.  he is going to have the complete bovigen panel done shortly on that bull.  he says bouncer looks the same when he goes into pasture as when he comes out.  he's a pig producer and is very cognizant about a specific phenotype and he can break it down for you.  his calving ease is probably more than just a lower bw.  he probably has another trait i am interested in and it has something to do with maturity.  he's a counterintuitive bull from that perpsective.  hmm, longevity, a novel concept.

I am curious to learn about how much rear end Bouncer will put on his offspring.  ?  He looks like a bull that I might like to try sometime.   

Joe Boy

I have him bred to a 14 year old cow.  I have 4 14 year olds that have produced lots of good calves and have many decedents in my herd.  I want that in my cattle when I sell bulls to commercial people.

REM

Had my first Bouncer calves this past spring. I agree that his calves grow really well and have good temperament. I used him on older cows that were a little tight in their rib and flank . The calves are saleable, only have one bull left and he is bound for a show/sale this winter.

AAOK

The Jury is still out on Bouncer for me.  I had my first two Bouncer calves, a heifer and a bull, this June.  I have since sold the herd, and have not seen the calves since early August.  Both calves came easy, and were very small (60lbs. & 70lbs.).  The Bull was out of a 3/4 Maine Witch Dr. cow, and the Heifer a double reg. Simm/Maine cow.  Both calves were extremely light boned, slick haired, long legs, and no width at birth.  Both Cows are very heavy boned, hairy, and have always before produced calves of a similar phenotype.

These two Bouncer calves did take off growing and filling out quickly.  The heifer, which is a few weeks older, had already begun to get some gut, and was looking pretty good.  She was looking a little short in her rump, down into the twist.  Both calves were very good in the front end, and up headed by nature.  Attitude seemed A+, which is always expected from our cows.

I'm told they are getting better every day, but I haven't seen the calves myself.  The weakness in bone and hair at birth is still bothersome to me.  We'll see how it works out down the road.

knabe

great comments aaok, you may end up being right about the angle, it may go along with the phenotype.  did you mean that the distance between her pins and twist had less length(wildebeasty?), or that she just sloped?  taking your comments into consideration, and projecting a little into the future and that all the positive traits of bouncer were retained, who would you breed the heifer too when she becomes a cow?

steerluver

I have seen several of the calves that Forkner has shown themselves, I would have to say that maybe in the performance stand point he would work for good feed lot cattle, not exactly what I would get excited about for the show ring, structurely(hind wheels). I am sure that there are some out there that are sound. Just not impressed with what they have drug out in the past. To each his own, I guess.

AAOK

knabe said:
great comments aaok, you may end up being right about the angle, it may go along with the phenotype.  did you mean that the distance between her pins and twist had less length(wildebeasty?), or that she just sloped?  taking your comments into consideration, and projecting a little into the future and that all the positive traits of bouncer were retained, who would you breed the heifer too when she becomes a cow?

The former.  She didn't slope.  I just would like to see more of that muscle in the rear carry on down into the twist.

I may upset the apple cart with my response about how I would breed a calf like this, but if I could get away with adding frame, my fist pick would be Polleroid (long, deep ribbed body. long neck, tremendous bone, and very, very deep rumped).

Joe Boy

My 14 y ear old cow calved on Friday.  I wanted a bull from bouncer and got a heifer.  The cow is very long, tall and could use thickness.  I would guess she just had the smallest calf she ever had.  The heifer is thick but small.  She only weighed 62 lbs.  So I did not get my dream bull calf.  I do not know if I will keep the cow for another go at.  If I do, she will be bred to Hard Core.

knabe

joe boy, remember your comments, wait three months and see if they change.  everett says they take off at about two months.  bouncer will obviously throw light bw's, but that calf could be locking that in.

Joe Boy

I really find that true of several bulls.  I know of some that look better as yearlings, but if you are selling calves you want them looking good anytime someone comes to look.....