The most humiliating moment in my show history this weekend

Help Support Steer Planet:

brahmergirl

OK, I had the most humiliating show experience ever this last Saturday.  My great niece has a goat and so does my son, well her mother is going through a divorce and so I thought it would be good for her to go to this little goat jackpot this weekend to get her out of the house.  This is her first year showing and ours so I drove an hour picked her and her goat up drove back an hour to the show.  The show was s15 minutes  from our house but she lives an hour further.  So I pick them up and head to the show.  It just started out bad from the get go.  Late, couldnt' get the health papers on time, even later, show up and start washing goats.  My son comes back and says mom there is green stuff all over these goats!  What is it??? Literally looked like a kid with a green magic marker.  I said I don't know but you've got to go back and get it off keep scrubbing so I start to shear her little goat which had not been sheared yet.  I had three pairs of clippers in my show box and one pair was brand new so I start to shear, takes three pretty good swipes and it starts to come off.  Then it starts to not come off.  The  clippers would just graze over it and nothing came off.  I worked for over an hour and a half on this one poor little goaty.  Did everything i knew to do but it literally looked like I had cut it with a butter knife, big chunks gone here and there.  Some areas surgical cut, some shaggy cut, some just botched you name it.  It was very frustrating not to mention trying to do it without a grooming stand and the heat.  I was getting very frustrated.  I tried 5 different pairs of clippers, I tried to drag the tip of them on their points across its back also, no go.  I mean absolutely nothing sheared that wooly booger!  I could not believe it!  So as distraught as I was about it, I sent the niece with the poor little goaty in the ring, everybody laughing and staring but what was I to do? ???

Then, the ag teacher and another guy were standing there admiring my lovely professional barber job and was pointing and snickering.  OK that did it.  you can make fun of me but not a kid, and it wasn't her fault.  I could understand if it was just a bad hair job but literally it wasn't our fault, I was ready to get straight blade and shave cream and try my luck at that damage.  So I could feel the tiny flame beginning to burn inside of me when he was pointing and snickering.  So I waited a bit and when he walked by I just had had it so I stopped him i said"hey, I saw you admiring my goat, do you have any suggestions?"  He just looked down at the goat and then looked up at me and shrugged his shoulders and started to walk off, I stopped him again and said "you know, you'd have a right to make fun of a kids goat if it was a really bad hair cut and I didn't know what in the world i was doing but you see after 5 different pairs of clippers and just as many opinions from others, we cannot get it shaved off.  It is cashmere like hair and it will not come off with the clippers so if you have any expert ag teacher advice, I am up for it.  I'm sure in all of your years of ag teacher experience, you would know just exactly what to do right?  Instead of standing there laughing and making fun of a kids goat who really can't help it, surely you can offer some constructive criticism?  He walked off and came back and said we've discussed it and we're sorry we've never seen anything like it!  You're right it is really tight and dense and we wouldn 't have a clue how to get it off.  I'm sorry!!!

GRRRRRR!  It burned me bad.  You know you can make fun of an adult but don't make fun of a kid or their animal at a show. My niece had already seen enough in the last two weeks and then to place last because of a hair/clipper disagreement just made her weekend even better. 

Just had to share.

Brahmergirl

brahmergirl

Sorry I got side tracked and forgot the rest of the story about the mysterious green stuff.  Come to find out when the kids were getting stuff out of the box, they tipped over an entire bottle of Coppertox for my horses feet and it was EVERYWHERE!  ON lead ropes, in the bottom of the show box, on the goats everywhere.  Then I kinda of got to thinking about it and it's not Just a goat show but a goat/sheep show.  EEEEEK!  Sheep can't be around copper so I had to find a place to dump this stuff without coming in contact with some high dollar show sheep.  That just made my day.  At least the goats won't have to worry about thrush for a while  ;D

afhm

I don't know what type of clippers you were using, but a set of sheep heads with 7112 blades should take the hair right off even of it has Coppertox or manure or whatever on it.  On the subect of Coppertox, I personally have never had much use for it, it is extremely messy and I have found the bleach works better for me on hoof rot etc.., but if you must have it, put it in a spray bottle  or put it in a zip lock bag.

CAB

I'm so proud of you for 2 good things that you did last weekend Brahmergirl. One, & most important, you are thoughtful & compasinate for your niece & what she is having to deal with right now through no fault of her pown , & two for confronting the know it all judgemental ringside clowns. Cuddos to you. It's about more than standing 1st. Cab

brahmergirl

No picture of the goaty, it was way too bad.  I didn't want to humiliate the little critter plus I didn't want brittnie to feel any worse.  I did get pictures of britt showing but not up close.  ::)

Brahmergirl

Thanks CAB!  I think I was just put up with men for the day as my poor son is having to go through the same thing this week as Brittnie did two weeks ago with her mom and dad.  So I know how it makes kids so down and wears on them.