The "shuck" thread. Important spring time tactics for rookies and veterans alike

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

This time of year there are more and more good days out. So it makes sense to get your steer or heifer in and get them all shined up after a long winter.  You go to comb the loose dirt out of them...and out comes a comb full of hair.  There are spots on the calves where they've been rubbing, even though you've wormed them regularly this winter.  It's already nearly april, the fair is just a few months away! What do you do now? Is the hair going to come back? What can you do to get your calves looking their best from this day forward? Never fear, this thread is here to ease your mind.  

Anyone who has any special "tricks" should post them here, and anyone who has questions...post them too! This should help cut down on the number of these questions that will be inevitably floating around in the next couple of weeks.

My strategy- I really should have posted this about 10 days ago, but I think it'll still be useful.  I always start to shuck our show heifers between March 15 and March 25th, depending on their age, where they are in their hair cycle, and what shows we're targeting for.  This year, both of our "good" heifers will be going to Jr. Nationals, IL State Fair, and at least one fall major.  I started actively shucking and washing daily March 20th, which is just over 90 days to Shorthorn Jr Nationals, and about 130 days before the State Fair. The first day of the spring shuck, I just use a curry comb and a regular toothed scotch comb. I start by combing down, then forward, then up. I don't get very aggressive with their bellies, tailheads, or legs, as new hair should come in those places much easier than their sides and top.  I comb them all out, then wash as usual. Blow them, and then put Revive or some other conditioning product in them.  The next day, and for about 10 days or as long as it takes to get 70-80% of the dead hair out, I use one of these https://www.sullivansupply.com/cart...t to change. Good luck, and happy shucking! 

ferkj

Do you mean rinsing 2x a day or actually washing 2x a day? 

shortyjock89

Kind of depends. Wash at least 1x per day. The other time, I spot wash if they get into anything, and conditioner/double dip. That's really a whole other discussion with all the summer time strategies. I know some people who wash every time they get a calf wet, and some who only rinse except for the bath right before and right after a clip or fitting.

shortyjock89

We put grow n shine in their feed two years ago, my sure if it did any good. We feed hide n hair and powdered kelp though.

Carlson Cattle

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
We put grow n shine in their feed two years ago, my sure if it did any good. We feed hide n hair and powdered kelp though.

were those good suppliments or what are the best suppliments to grow hair?

obie105

We had good luck with shag a couple of years ago. It needs to be fed for 90 days to really have any real effect tho but I think you will have that with most additives. I did see a steer last year that had melatonin implant that had massive amounts of hair. I still believe good daily hair care will work quite a bit of the time. Also they have to be genetically designed to have hair. I worked today on doing some shucking myself.

shortyjock89

Carlson Cattle said:

were those good suppliments or what are the best suppliments to grow hair?

In all reality, we feed those things to help us sleep better at night. They may work, they may not...but we think by feeding one or two of them that we're giving the calves every chance to look their best.  I think the Hide N Hair has some really good stuff in it, and I think it helps keep their skin in good shape as much as anything.

shortyjock89

I'm sure Shag, Epic, or Flair would work just as well. I personally think a hose and a brush go a lot farther than a feed supplement.

loveRedcows

Thanks for starting this thread, Justin.  We got started showing cattle really late in life and always appreciate any advice!

Carlson Cattle

I'm sure Shag, Epic, or Flair would work just as well. I personally think a hose and a brush go a lot farther than a feed supplement.

okay thanks