The "World Famous" LIPIZZANER STALLIONS show

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Has anyone ever been to one of their shows? Beautiful horses! I see where they're going to be in Columbus sometimes soon.
Some information about them:
intropic_3.jpg
intropic_1.jpg

The Lipizzaner Stallions are on their 37th Anniversary Tour in 2007. In 1970, Producer Gary Lashinsky created a new family arena attraction, starring The "World Famous" LIPIZZANER STALLIONS.

Many horses and riders were brought from Europe to perform in this unique family oriented arena attraction. Over the years, twenty-three million people throughout North and South America, Great Britain, Europe, Australia and Hawaii have seen this internationally acclaimed spectacle.

2007 represents the 37th Anniversary season of The Lipizzaner Stallions. All new music, choreography and routines have been incorporated in this anniversary edition with a major emphasis on the historical background and foundation of the Lipizzaner breed, from its original breeding and use as a horse of war to a horse of nobility and aristocracy to a living form of equestrian art. The show emulates the Spanish Riding School of Vienna, Austria, in its presentation of Lipizzans, and maintains a traditional as well as entertaining performance similar in many ways to what you would see at the Spanish Riding School of Vienna.

Also included in the performance is a segment called the "Airs Above the Ground." These are the spectacular leaps and maneuvers, once used by riders in saddle to protect and defend themselves on the battlefield, which are now preserved as an equestrian work of art. When you see the Lipizzans perform, it is like stepping back four hundred years and viewing one of the greatest equine ballets in history.

The Lipizzan is a rare and unique breed; its history and culture is known worldwide. The Walt Disney movie The Miracle of the White Stallions, depicting General George S. Patton saving them at the end of World War II from certain extinction, created an even greater world-wide interest in the Lipizzaner breed. Had it not been for Patton, there would be no Lipizzans today.

Although the Lipizzans star in this presentation, the ancestral forefather of the Lipizzan, the Spanish Andalusian, is featured in a high school presentation with special wardrobe themed to traditional Spanish music.

Not only is the Andalusian shown in saddle, but also in a unique presentation where the rider performs all the maneuvers of the Grand Prix Olympic level dressage on the longline, while walking behind the horse and guiding him through his paces.

The current tour features 12 to 14 stallions performing selected maneuvers as described above in an exciting presentation.

The conclusion of the performance of The Lipizzaner Stallions is the traditional Grand Quadrille, featuring six to eight Lipizzaner Stallions with their riders performing an intricate, equine ballet, exhibiting maneuvers through the highest level of dressage. The Lipizzans prance, march and intricately weave their way across the floor to the music of the Masters in a spectacular ballet of four-footed white dancers.

Harkening back to time when the horse was a symbol of grace and majesty, the Lipizzaner Stallions are truly a great experience to be enjoyed by the entire family. One does not need to be a horse lover to enjoy "The Equestrian Treat of the Century"!

Gypsy

I've seen them twice.  Looong time ago.  Very amazing and beautiful.  Go.

ELBEE

Lipizzanes are fine, BUT! If ever you get a chance to see the Fort Riley Color Guard do their war re-enactments, prepare to have your spine tingle for over an hour of horse and horsemanship second to none. Mule skinnin too. You'll understand how we won the West!

garybob

Some folks down in Newton County have a few of them. Think their place is along the little Buffalo, close to Jasper.Been in National Geographic, too.

DL

They come to MSU about every year (another equine thing to see is the International Draft Horse show - 12 eight horse hitches in one arena is pretty impressive)

anyhow, we were with an individual who couldn't do stairs so they put us on the "ground floor" at the north end of the ring directly across from where the horses entered - it was fabulous - I"d go again and probably will! Impressive athletes...(lets see a Charolais  do that!) ;D

genes

Well I've had a few cows who jump much better than my horse......

I've seen the Lippizan's once...it really is quite amazing.  Another thing we have up here is the RCMP musical ride, which is pretty cool as well.  Haven't seen that in a long time though.

knabe

i saw them last year.  i have a picture where the lead stallion is doing flying lead changes every stride with an ere***tion.  the mc said his performance was enhanced.  the awesome rider, the lead rider, was awesome, did everything smoothly while it was going on right next to another horse.  best thing about them is how easy it is to see the different breed emphasis depending upon where they come from.

jason

For my money, I prefer Patches the Horse.

HTML:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j3hMWj7paoE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j3hMWj7paoE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

chambero

We went once.  Those things are descendents of the old war horses that were used in the Napoleonic wars and trace back to the horses used in the medieval period.  All of that pretty dancing and jumping was actually maneuvers used to split men's heads open with their hooves and to make hard for the enemy to stick their riders with nasty pointed things. 

DL

chambero said:
We went once.  Those things are descendents of the old war horses that were used in the Napoleonic wars and trace back to the horses used in the medieval period.  All of that pretty dancing and jumping was actually maneuvers used to split men's heads open with their hooves and to make hard for the enemy to stick their riders with nasty pointed things. 

So the big difference now is - there is no dancing - there are no horses - but we have humvees and but we still kill people - would that be considered progress??

cowz

ELBEE said:
Lipizzanes are fine, BUT! If ever you get a chance to see the Fort Riley Color Guard do their war re-enactments, prepare to have your spine tingle for over an hour of horse and horsemanship second to none. Mule skinnin too. You'll understand how we won the West!

What time of year do they do this??  I would really love to see it.  I do get through Kansas fairly often.  (I also have a soft spot in my heart for mules!)

chambero

Could you imagine spending that much time with an animal - probably years - and then having it get killed or maimed trying to protect you.  I bet many were pretty close to those animals.  Probably why they were protected through the trials and tribulations of the 20th century.

dragon lady said:
chambero said:

So the big difference now is - there is no dancing - there are no horses - but we have humvees and but we still kill people - would that be considered progress??

ELBEE

Cowz, I'll have Angie pick up they're schedule. She's around people that know every day at work.
We saw them last at the Riley Co. fair, I think its kind of a tradition along with the rodeo.