Theives Strike

Help Support Steer Planet:

cattlejunky

We had a 4 wheeler stolen from our barn Saturday night.  Luckily that is all they took.  We had 2- 4 wheelers side by side and they took the older one.  We think they couldn't figure out how to shift the newer one.  Our barn is over football field away so we did not hear anything.  You could see the tracks thru the yard where they pushed it to the road.  We are lucky they did not take more.  We use to leave keys in vehicles and tractors, but not anymore.  We are now locking the barn.
Does anybody have a surveillance system?  We are thinking of getting one.  Any suggestions on type?  We'd prefer an economical one.  I would also like to get an alarm that goes across your driveway when someone drives in.  Like they use to have at service stations. 

red

The nephew had a generator stolen a couple of years ago.

We have flood lights in the barn but I think that just gives them better lighting to steal by! What we had trouble w/ a couple of years ago was people stealing our blue spruses from the front yard. Can you imagine coming home & telling your kids it's a stolen Christmas trees. I caught one once & yelled at him. He had the gall to cuss me out! I told the hubby it's a good thing a shotgun wasn't in the house or there'd been one dead thief!

Red

cattlejunky

I hope my husband never finds out who it is.  People have some nerve!  Blue Spruce aren't something you can just pick up and run with.  We had some trouble this fall with a kid down the road hunting on our property.  I caught them up by our barn one evening and ran them down.  He stated he had lost his coon dog and was looking for her in our barn.  He was told to stay off the property and if he lost his dog he was to call us and we would look for it.  We caught him again later that night and my husband put the fear of the lord in them.  DNR has already been after them for hunting deer on a neighbors property.  Another neighbor had a tree stand stolen.  Plus I caught the kid in broad day light on our property getting his tree stand.  I said you are on our property and I have no trespassing signs posted you need to stay off.  The sad thing is the kids parents are just as bad.

common sense

Cheap and effective are motion lights.  They have a GREAT startle factor.  Also, put up "fake" surveillance cameras  that have little red led lights in them.  They will do the same as having the real thing!  They also make motion sensed dog barking sensors.  That at least would get your dogs going. 

linnettejane

has anyone ever used those motion sensor dog barking things???  i have thought about getting a couple.....i have a black lab who has been a good guard dog, but she is getting up there in years and doesnt hear as good as she used to.... (dog)

farmboy

we've been robbed so many times its not funny, usually we can find out who did it because my town is about 500 people and some are drug heads you know, and news spreads pretty fast around here. Sorry to hear that CJ but its life, sometimes when its one of those days where you have a feeling or see the *heads* driving around your road, we spend the night in the barn loft with a rifle....

they've took thousand of dollars worth of copper out of our barn we had been saving, guns, aluminum, computers, and other random house stuff, oh, and a lawn mower which was my grandfathers....

unfortanetly (sp) i live in the worst part of ohio for thieving, aka (the drug pipeline  :-\ ) and its really quite common now a days  (argue)

red

Zach- what is the drug that's causing the most problems in your area? I know years ago it was marijuana that was such a problem but it might be Oxycontin now.

Red

jason

Sorry to hear.

Check on ebay, you can find some video camera systems there.  You need to find something with a motion sensor that only records after it detects motion and that way you will not need a big harddrive or tapes.

red

forgot about that one. we started using Anhydrous. scares me to think they could be tampering w/ the tanks.

Actually herion is a huge problem in Kenton.

Zach- are'nt you supposed to be school?  ;)

Red

farmboy

red said:
forgot about that one. we started using Anhydrous. scares me to think they could be tampering w/ the tanks.

Actually herion is a huge problem in Kenton.

Zach- are'nt you supposed to be school?  ;)

Red

lol teacher inservice day

Dusty

Maybe I'm weird, but as far as I'm concerned somebody stealing a 4 wheeler or copper or whatever just to have some drug money could just as well be shot.  The world would be better off with these people in the ground anyways and it would be a great deterrant to theft.

farmboy

right on dusty, if we ever cought somebody in the act of stealing our stuff, they would most likely be full of lead when were done with em  ;)

Dusty

zach said:
right on dusty, if we ever cought somebody in the act of stealing our stuff, they would most likely be full of lead when were done with em  ;)
The problem with the laws is that they protect the thieves and not the property owner.  You would be the one in jail in that scenario, pretty sad....

cattlejunky

Well the story gets better.  not only were we victimized by the theif, we are now being victimized by the insurance company!  State Farm is going to lose all of our money today.  We are pulling it all.  While this 4 wheeler was strictly for Farm use they want to say it was for recreational use and not cover it.  It had a grass seeder on the back when it was stolen.  Needless to say I got a little mad after talking to the lady in the claims dept and was even hotter when I called my agent. (argue). My husband is so mad he is shaking.  So we get screwed twice!  I told the agent we shouldn't even have insurance it is waste for us in this matter.  Oh I am so mad I could spit!  Like one of you said the law is on the criminals side and if this person was caught they would get a slap on the wrist. 

red

deep breathes! Remember to think good thoughts! I used to see red during those times but my new drugs help a lot.

It is very fustrating dealing w/ insurance. can't live w/ it can't live without it!

Red

cattlejunky

red said:
deep breathes! Remember to think good thoughts! I used to see red during those times but my new drugs help a lot.

It is very fustrating dealing w/ insurance. can't live w/ it can't live without it!

Red
I will get my brwon paper bag out and have a pina coloda, maybe that will help mellow me out.

garybob

Ain't no better in Arkansas, especially with Farm Bureau. They might as well call themselves the "Suburban League", as there's nothing 'farm'' about it, anymore. Just an insurance company with rural roots.

GB

DLD

Our insurance is with Farm Bureau, and a couple of years ago we got a notice that ATV's of any kind/use would no longer be covered under our farm policy. They only cover them under a seperate, specific policy...

I knock on wood when I say we've been lucky and haven't lost much to theft over the years. I have a couple of theories on that, as some of our neighbors have been hit repeatedly. Mostly that my schedule is very unpredictable, and the way we're situated here, anybody caught here would be pretty much trapped (or at least their vehicle would). In any case, we do try to be careful to keep things put away, but in the end, if somebody wants something bad enough, they're gonna take it...