Thinking about Showing Steers in a Few Years!

Help Support Steer Planet:

GWShowPigs

Hey there y'all!

I am thinking about showing Steers as a senior and one year out of HS. I am a feshamn at the moment showing pigs. I have absolutely no clue whatsoever on how to show, what age the steer needs to be, what to feed it, if someone could help me out with this I would appreciate it. I also have no clue on where to get a steer at. I live in Central California. Thanks! <cowboy>

reno1014

We are from Texas so I dont know what age your steers need to be.  Your FFA advisor or County Ext. Agent can help with that, also with locating
a great steer.  Last year was our first steer year after 10 doing hogs and sheep and goats.  I must say we really like the steer deal, especially if you
get a super duper like we did last year.  I wish you luck, and hope you have fun doing it.  Glad you found steer plant lots of great people here.

vc

There are a few  places in the Valley where you can find cattle and get assistance, The Colburn Cattle Company (http://www.mckinziecattle.com/), located in Visalia can help you out they will know what age calf you need for your fair, they also run one- on -one clinics as well as a clipping and care clinic. Good luck
I do have a question for you"Why do you want to wait until your Senior year?" It is easier to spread your expenses out over a longer period of time, 2 years makes it hard to be competitive.
You might think of getting a calf this year and start gaining some experience, by your senior year you should be competitive. Just like hogs there is allot of things to learn, feeding being the most important.

Good luck

knabe

flynn's have been in the business for years.  they used to have ildeno's on their cows, and have obviously moved on from then.  i went to school with matt and he's a good guy.

http://www.flynncattlecompany.com/

txshowlamb

Let me tell you this I have raised sheep and pigs with rabbit and chickens and by far steers are the funnest and most enjoyable. I think this is the only project I have seen something from what I mean by that is you get bigger and better prizes and people look up to you knowing that your raising a steer. Now know they take a lot of time but they are fun and you wont see anything but rewards from this will be a great project to end your years with. What ever you do just have fun and dont be upset if you dont do the best.

GWShowPigs

vc said:
There are a few  places in the Valley where you can find cattle and get assistance, The Colburn Cattle Company (http://www.mckinziecattle.com/), located in Visalia can help you out they will know what age calf you need for your fair, they also run one- on -one clinics as well as a clipping and care clinic. Good luck
I do have a question for you"Why do you want to wait until your Senior year?" It is easier to spread your expenses out over a longer period of time, 2 years makes it hard to be competitive.
You might think of getting a calf this year and start gaining some experience, by your senior year you should be competitive. Just like hogs there is allot of things to learn, feeding being the most important.

Good luck

VC- I am waiting till then because I still want to show pigs, but I can't do them both. If I show Steers my last two years, then I can have experience for college and show both Steers and Hogs. Thanks so much!