This bothers me-

Help Support Steer Planet:

LLBUX

Today I read a thread from a youngster seeking advice on feeding his steer.    After getting sound advice from experienced feeders,
he is now asking if Zilmax should be fed to his steer.    He has no clue about it, but read about it in another thread where it is lauded to
lay on the muscle.    Now the youngster feels he needs to feed it in order to compete with the big boys.    He's seeing adults asking about
using it on bulls and heifers, knowing it is not labeled for that use.

Too bad a kid can't just go out and raise, feed and show a calf and be competitive without coolers, feed additives (such as Zilmax), implants,
airing, cosmetic surgery and calves that carry lethal genetic traits.

SlickTxMaine

I agree, it is a shame, but unfortunately that is where the show industry has gone.  I would like to see our local show go to local bred and raised calves only-- but you can bet, that is not a popular idea. 

JSchroeder

There's only one person asking about using it on bulls and heifers and he's pulling his old trolling routine.  There's some hole in his self worth that he likes to fill by looking down his nose at 'show people'.  I'm all for letting idiots be idiots but when he influences people in such a manner, it's gone on too long.

Why should show cattle be prevented from using Zilmax or implants?  Grouping perfectly acceptable feed supplements and implants (that are both used even more extensively in commercial beef production) in within airing and cosmetic surgery is 100% off base.  If you aren't expected to know what to feed and when/how to implant calves, what exactly is supposed to differentiate the calves in the show ring?

Using local bred and raised calves would only increase the demand for gaining an edge in other ways.

knabe

In the thread the person found out informations hat it's probably not for them.

I guess it's better to be in the dark.

To me, most products don't pay for themselves ,especially showing cattle.

That's probably a better lesson.

kfacres

SlickTxMaine said:
I agree, it is a shame, but unfortunately that is where the show industry has gone.  I would like to see our local show go to local bred and raised calves only-- but you can bet, that is not a popular idea. 

that will not get you anywhere- other than more lying and cheating.. where do you draw the line of buying embroyos? and having satelight herds.. all owned, but maybe not bred-  or bred and owned, but maybe not in this county...

Or- what if you buy it, switch tags.. and call it your own??? (pop)

SlickTxMaine

Cut the BS said:
SlickTxMaine said:

that will not get you anywhere- other than more lying and cheating.. where do you draw the line of buying embroyos? and having satelight herds.. all owned, but maybe not bred-  or bred and owned, but maybe not in this county...

Or- what if you buy it, switch tags.. and call it your own??? (pop)

I guess you're right...... Changing the rules will just change the way people cheat. 

LLBUX

Yes, unfortunately folks will find a new way to cheat or gain an unethical advantage over others in the name of winning or money. 
Makes me wonder how they could teach that to their kids/grandkids.    (Don't think they don't know)

Thankfully there are some areas and breeds where this is not as widely practiced. 

Kids can show their calves honestly and fairly as it should be.

JSchroeder

Why do you start the thread talking about feeding Zilmax to a steer and then go into cheating to gain an unethical advantage?  Zilmax is not cheating.

WJ Farms

If it was cheating I do not think they would put it in a showfeed and promote it and put it in every livestock magazine known to man.......cheating would be consider as doing stuff that is marked as "ILLEGAL" but you still do and try to get away with it................thats cheating

kfacres

Jeff_Schroeder said:
Why do you start the thread talking about feeding Zilmax to a steer and then go into cheating to gain an unethical advantage?  Zilmax is not cheating.

i agree-- but then again, I didn't start the cheating.. just add to it...

IMO- I wouldn't ever feed a steer out, w/o using Zilmax--- personally, see it as stupid not to invest very little- to acheive so much good profit potential...  

R1Livestock

So many croon and croon that the show world needs to be brought more inline with the commercial world, how can these same people reasonably (rationally)  be against bringing feeding practices more inline with one another?

If the person wanting to learn how to feed steers got good advice about foundational nutrition, learned of an additive that can be beneficial in the development of his project, then wants to learn more about this additive, it sounds like he is heading in the right direction to me.

Sparkle

Lets face it the show cattle world can be unethical... However, there will always be someone that will feel the need to cheat so they can get the upper hand or the number one place. If everyone would just get back to the basics--do your homework. Use proven top genetics that really work. Get away from cattle that are phoney-made up-and not what they seem. Again, study your breed genetics. Use only solid proven bulls. Your herd will improve. Survival of the fittest not the lame, crippled, nonmilking, poor feeding type of cattle. Why should we have to tant the food supply with chemicals?

SlickTxMaine

Jeff_Schroeder said:
Why do you start the thread talking about feeding Zilmax to a steer and then go into cheating to gain an unethical advantage?  Zilmax is not cheating.

In LLBUX's defense, he did not say using Zilmax is cheating.  Cut the BS and I were talking about people cheating.....but again not referring to the use of Zilmax.  (We digressed!)

shortii

All I have to say is that even though I don't condone cheating, it happens anywhere there is competition whether it is in school, work, or sports its going to happen. It sucks but its never going to change, the only thing you can hope for is karma and that the people that do cheat get caught.