This is what it is all about

Help Support Steer Planet:

firesweepranch

My son is 6 (will be 7 in September). He is our youngest, and has really not shown a huge interest in cattle until Jackie. Jackie was intended for our middle child, Rachel, 9. Jackie was a free replacement for the horrible heifer story I told you all about in December (she had a 110 pound bull calf stuck in her, and was down for more than two weeks before we got her up and moving and off to the stockyards). She is no beauty, and will never win any big fairs. BUT, she is the MOST LOVING heifer we have ever owned! We picked her up when she was 5 months old (in April), and she was SKINNY. Food was a major contributor to her personality. Fast forward a few months. Our son goes out in the pasture to help, and Jackie comes trotting right up to him, licking him and following him around like a puppy dog. So now, he has claimed her, and takes her out of the pasture each evening and gives her grain, brushes her, kisses her, and walks her to fresh clover patches almost every night before walking her back to the main pasture to put with the herd. Today, he decided it was a good day to give Jackie a bath, all by himself! So he put her halter on, walked her to the trailer, hoped up on the wheel well, and tied her. He then bathed and blew her, all by himself! I am just so proud of him, and pray that nothing ever happens to Jackie! The two just love each other! I am so glad he has finally shown an interest in the cattle business, just wish she was a bit prettier! ;D

Attachments

• seth n jackie.jpg
    seth n jackie.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 446
  • seth jackie.jpg
    seth jackie.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 441

DL

She is beautiful in his eyes and that is really all that matters - love the heifer - nice kid too :)

kanshow

That's awesome!  She should eventually make a nice cow for him.    She will for sure make a nice heifer for him to get some ring experience with!

skeeter

read this post first thing this morning.  made my day.  I know you're one proud parent.  You give that young man a big hug and tell him he's doing an awesome job.  I can tell from the picture that that heifer is perfect for him, doesn't matter that she may never stand in first place.  Hopefully she'll be the first of many that he enjoys.  My 35 year old daughter's first heifer was not the prettiest, did not have perfect back legs but that heifer took to her and my daughter learned more showmanship with that little "toward the end of the class" heifer.  She showed till she graduated then worked for the county extension office while going to college.  sorry to ramble but that picture really hit close to home.  I hope you let that young man know every day what he means to you.  Good Luck!

SlickTxMaine

This is a great story!!  It doesn't matter what she looks like-- she is a grand champion in his eyes and that's all that matters.  He will probably never forget her.  What a great first for him!!

SouthWest

I love your story.  I love your story.  Keep pictures so you can show him when he has his first child at his age. 

COWgirls

(clapping)

Love it!  Best of luck to this young man for many years to come.  Great story!

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

Actually you might be doing him a favor. I have see kids who have had great calves most of their career and when they get a good beating in the show ring they just freak out. I guess learning to lose is the best way to start. Not saying she will lose everytime, but i doesn't hurt to teach a life lesson from the get go. The winning will come in due time, and you are right that is what its all about taking care of an animal that you care for. Good kids make good herdsman, spoiled kids make good examples of everything i don't like.