This may seem childish... but i would like some help please..

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sassy Show Stock

Okay first of all, I am a senior in High School and got my start in the Bovine industry back in the fall of '04 when I bought my first show steers. Since then I have been fortunate to win 2 heifers, the first of which was bred and from our Farm Bureau's heifer project. After she (Fancy) had her calf (Reba), I had to show the calf at my county fair and then either give the calf back to farm bureau or buy her from them at market price. I ended up buying her back and using her to help build up my herd and getting a good start in the cattle business.

Well, Reba was the first calf born on my place since I am the first person in my family to raise and show cattle, and it came as a shock when I found out Saturday night when I got home from a wrestling trip (i am the manager) that my girl Reba had died. She was pregnant with her 2nd calf, and due to calve on April 17th. Reba was registered angus and was bred to a half simmental, half angus bull that was Triple bred Meyer 734.

There was absolutely no sign of distress near the body, and the vet and my dad both decided that they couldnt open her up and do an autopsy as it would only attract the coyotes and put the other 2 cows and the horse down at the river in danger due to the proximity of coyotes (and possibly wolves). She hadn't been acting sick and was lively up until thursday night, when i saw her last.

Anyway, I was wondering, since i am technologically challenged, if anybody could make a nice "banner" type photo out of one of my favorite pics from when she was a calf, and have it say something like

"R.I.P. Miss Reba, 3/26/06 - 2/6/09"

just something i can download to my phone and put as my laptop's background for a while, like i said it may seem childish, but since she was the very first calf that was born on my place she will always have a special place in my heart.

Thank you,
Sara (aka Sassy or Mama Moo lol)

Sassy Show Stock

hmm it might help if i uploaded the pics i like the best huh, lol...

Glamour shot:

DSC00788.jpg

First sunrise:

DSC00664.jpg

ZNT

Sara,

Just wanted to say I'm sorry about Reba!!  I don't think you sound childish ~ You love your animals and you put so much heart and effort into them.  To lose them IS upsetting.  I still get upset when we lose animals.  And to have no reason or explanation is even more frustrating.  And on top of it, you lost the calf you were anticipating too. 

By the way, cute names!!

~Traci

dori36

Oh, I'm so very sorry about your loss.  How heartbreaking!  I lived in Wyoming for 12 years and understand about not opening a cow for a necropsy outside where predators/scavengers are around.  I am sorry, however, that you'll have to continue to wonder what happened.  Looks like Jason's going to help you with the banner.  It's not a bit childish.  I sold my very favorite ever cow to a friend in WY and used her picture as wallpaper on my phone for a very long time.  And she didn't even die!  Not a thing wrong with loving your animals!

red

Honey, I cry over almost all my cattle that either die or get sent to slaughter. Still try to follow how any of my babies that are sold too.
I tell the hubby that when it come time we're going to stuff my big red cow.

Red

Sassy Show Stock

Jason said:
what kind of phone do you have?

I Have the LG VX8300 or something like that.. the big gray one is all i can describe it as, lol

And thank you sooo much to everyone, It's been kinda rough the past couple days but i'll be fine. I did get to go in and talk to the vet about it today (even though I work at the clinic  every day it's kinda hard to talk to him when he's out on calls!) and he said that she looked healthy and whatever killed her had to have been sudden... he's thinkin along the lines of heart attack or anneurism. Judging by the way dad and the vet found her body, she had been standing and whatever killed her probably caused her heart to stop before she hit the ground, one front  foot slid right out from under her and the others were folded underneath, so it looked like she hit the fence and was over. Once again, there were absolutely no marks in the mud around her body, so she wasn't in any pain before death so those are our only reasonable conclusions.

Thank you again!
+Sara+

Sassy Show Stock

ZNT said:
By the way, cute names!!

~Traci

Lol thanks! the  names of all my cattle while im waitin for class to start lol:

Shadow, Baxter, Fancy, Reba, Rex, Sassy, Toby (07 County fair grand champ steer), Jack, Jill, Garth, Wrangler, Beau, Daisy, Cinch, and Levi.

lol... the ones I have at the moment are:
~Fancy, reg. angus cow bred to M A R Excel 1773, due late april/early may
~Faith, reg. angus heifer, bred to 3XM, simmi/angus bull, due april 17 (while im at state FFA convention) - I won Faith thru the NILE Merit Heifer Program
~Beau - Reba's first...and last...calf out of a grade angus heifer bull
~Daisy - Fancy's 3rd calf, half sibling to Beau
~Cinch  - clubby steer out of High Society
~Levi - clubby steer from Meeteetse, WY

alright finally time for class, not a better way to kill time than by talkin bout cows!! lol

+Sara+

jason

what do you think, it should fit your phone wall paper exactly

Attachments

• reba.jpg
    reba.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 837

braunvieh

Thank you Jason, that was very nice of you.

I am sorry to hear of your loss Sassy and I understand what it means. I get so attached to my cows and I hate when things go wrong. We just lost a calf out of one of our cows last night, due to the head being back. Waited too long to intervene and I feel responsible for not recognizing sooner that she needed my help. Wish they could talk and tell us these things. Anyway, keep going and looking to the future with your cattle!

red

That is so nice Jason! I think that is one of the things that make this board so special.

Red

kanshow

That was nice Jason!

Sara, Sorry about your loss, we get pretty attached to some of them around here too.

box6rranch

We lost a momma cow (our first heifer) that had just had twins a couple of weeks before. They did do an autopsy and she had hardware. It is a silent killer and might have been the reason for her death too. Does anyone else routinely put magnet down their cows? We were told to do that and we haven't had a problem since.
I know how you feel. We are taking the sweetest most gentle loving steer in on Thursday to be processed. He must weigh 1400 pds but I just love him. He gives me kisses and I can literally drape myself around him when he's standing or laying down. I know I'll be shedding a pool of tears on Thursday.

Sassy Show Stock

Thank you all so very very much, and Jason, that wallpaper is absolutely perfect! I appreciate everyone on here sharing their stories as well, and I know I've cried over several of them as well... you can't expect to own somethin and work closely with them for at least 8 months without getting attached to them.. especially when showmanship is your passion and you have to have some kind of connection in order to click in the showring.

Thank you all again,
+Sara+

box6rranch

Sassy Show Stock said:
ZNT said:
By the way, cute names!!

~Traci

Lol thanks! the  names of all my cattle while im waitin for class to start lol:

Shadow, Baxter, Fancy, Reba, Rex, Sassy, Toby (07 County fair grand champ steer), Jack, Jill, Garth, Wrangler, Beau, Daisy, Cinch, and Levi.

lol... the ones I have at the moment are:
~Fancy, reg. angus cow bred to M A R Excel 1773, due late april/early may
~Faith, reg. angus heifer, bred to 3XM, simmi/angus bull, due april 17 (while im at state FFA convention) - I won Faith thru the NILE Merit Heifer Program
~Beau - Reba's first...and last...calf out of a grade angus heifer bull
~Daisy - Fancy's 3rd calf, half sibling to Beau
~Cinch  - clubby steer out of High Society
~Levi - clubby steer from Meeteetse, WY

alright finally time for class, not a better way to kill time than by talkin bout cows!! lol

+Sara+

I love it! We have two bulls named Tommy Boy and Ricky Bobby. A new bull baby named Cal Naughton Jr. Also Diva, Tex, Jazz, Gene (she looks like Gene Simmons from Kiss!) Lexie, Lucy, Penny, Holly, Leona, Alonzo, Lola, Booky, Max, Dallas and Gracie.

red

named my red Hard Core heifer Apple Core. When I get my Gigolo Joe calf it's going to be called Java Joe or maybe GI Joe if a bull & Flo Jo if a heifer.

Red

box6rranch

I saw a pic of Apple Core, she's adorable. Waiting on a calf from our cow named Jazz, any ideas for a name for either a bull or heifer?

red

box6rranch said:
I saw a pic of Apple Core, she's adorable. Waiting on a calf from our cow named Jazz, any ideas for a name for either a bull or heifer?

Jazz Man for bull & Jazzy for heifer?