Those that have Troubador calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

BadgerFan

Saw the bull at stud, really liked him.  I know the southern guys like him for the slick deal, but would they have hair?

SlickTxMaine

Ours is deep and wide, but not much hair - of course we show slick so other than a fan to help keep him a little more comfortable in the Tx. heat, and routine brushing, we have not been worried about the hair.  We bought the steer, so this could be from the momma.  Ours also has a really short switch- started almost as a rat tail, but it has improved.  He also just now started popping his pasterns - anyone else have this issue??

Bradenh

the one we had was thick thick thick, had a decent hair coat on him, i think they are capable of having good hair. he was a tad straighter off his back legs but best update i have says he is still very sound, he was big bellied but not nessicerily deep and easy fleshing, but hard to tell at 800#s, he is growing right

rackranch

We like ours, he has decent body hair but better than average leg hair.  We did rinse twice a day during the summer and keep him in front of misters as much as possible.  Not the easiest feeder in the barn but does have a soft fleshy look in the show ring.  Plenty of body but I would like to power him up a bit.  His strongest characteristic is his freaky front and awesome show ring look.  He will catch your eye as soon as he walks into the ring.  very sound and soft in his pasterns but will pop every now and then when he isn't excercised properly.  Overall I would give him an 8 out of 10.  He will be at the Fall Classic showing in the chi deal if anyone wants a peek...

SlickTxMaine

rackranch said:
We like ours, he has decent body hair but better than average leg hair.  We did rinse twice a day during the summer and keep him in front of misters as much as possible.  Not the easiest feeder in the barn but does have a soft fleshy look in the show ring.  Plenty of body but I would like to power him up a bit.  His strongest characteristic is his freaky front and awesome show ring look.  He will catch your eye as soon as he walks into the ring.  very sound and soft in his pasterns but will pop every now and then when he isn't excercised properly.  Overall I would give him an 8 out of 10.  He will be at the Fall Classic showing in the chi deal if anyone wants a peek...

So, rackranch - have you found more excercise to be helpful in keeping the pasterns from popping?  I did a search on here, but don't recall excercise being mentioned.  I was wondering if it would help.  I gave ours a selenium bolus, but did not see any improvment.  I am having my son walk him a consideralbe distance as often as possible  and have started him on MSM.  I always have good luck with that for horses with joint problems.  Can't hurt him. 

dimebag

SouthWest said:
How are his calves birth weights??  Any pics?
My Troubadours were all in 65-70 lbs range at birth and have really good body hair , these two calves are ET full sibs and are weighing about 900 lbs @ 1 year old . The calf below is a steer and i kept the calf to the left for a bull , very pleased with both .

Attachments

• IMG00111-20110213-1351_3.jpg
    IMG00111-20110213-1351_3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 169

Gargan

i really like the calves front end and more hair than i imagined. very good looking steer!!

sue

DBL J1 said:
SouthWest said:
How are his calves birth weights??  Any pics?
My Troubadours were all in 65-70 lbs range at birth and have really good body hair , these two calves are ET full sibs and are weighing about 900 lbs @ 1 year old . The calf below is a steer and i kept the calf to the left for a bull , very pleased with both .

sweet  baby !

rackranch

Just haltering up and walking for a bit...ours like to stay in front of the fans and misters all day so they tend to stiffen up some...if you are already doing that then your fine... the bolus takes some time, remember they are a 365 day time release... Your are doing the right things just hang in there...they will sometimes go thru stages of poping as they grow..If you are still having proplems 45 days out pm me..

SlickTxMaine said:
rackranch said:

So, rackranch - have you found more excercise to be helpful in keeping the pasterns from popping?  I did a search on here, but don't recall excercise being mentioned.  I was wondering if it would help.  I gave ours a selenium bolus, but did not see any improvment.  I am having my son walk him a consideralbe distance as often as possible  and have started him on MSM.  I always have good luck with that for horses with joint problems.  Can't hurt him.