thoughts on a bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

firesweepranch

We really like him. Here is a pic of our 3/4 blood Make It Rain, along with a pic of the cow that he is out of. This bull did real well, and his last show he won was Mo State Fair in the percentage division, both open and junior. I would say that MIR, for us, cleans up the shoulder and adds depth of rib. This cow always throws a big boned, big muscled calf (you should see her bull calf from this year!), and MIR seemed to clean her up and add that rib that she needs (she is 1/4 Maine, 1/4 Angus x Macho). The cow herself won the 2009 AJSA South Central Percentage heifer show, so she is no slouch. But we like MIR and he is heifer safe. And he has a different pedigree.

Attachments

• coal small.jpg
    coal small.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 395
  • melody nov 13.jpg
    melody nov 13.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 421

mark tenenbaum

Im not a Simm expert,but I know the Kaehlers from Shorthorns-and Make it Rain would probably be a real functional but Showy female maker-But: you could breed a cow like that to a billy goat and get a good one-I think a hiefer would be way good,and have a nice front-clean under her jaw,and be stout as they get. O0

firesweepranch

Barry Farms said:
What did you breed her to for this last calf?

A Triple C Invasion son we raised and sold. We flushed her, and had a problem getting her stuck AI so we just threw her in with him. He was 10 months old, but got the job done. We just weighed the calf today (treated for Cocci), he is a Christmas baby and weighed 296 pounds today (not even 60 days old yet!).
We just AI'd her to Montecito. She needs something that will deepen her rib (she is very steery in her design) and clean up her shoulders. She only seems to like to throw bulls, wish we could get a heifer out of her. We flushed her with heifer sexed semen, and got 12 unfertilized eggs. Bummed. Would like to find a bull that is at least half blood simm that will do that for her. MIR did a great job, but always looking for something better!