Thoughts on calf. Texas Tornado x Cross

Help Support Steer Planet:

TLBarrow

Hey everyone please let me know what y'all think of this calf.
Thanks in advance.
BSC

Attachments

• IMG_6116.PNG
    IMG_6116.PNG
    1,006.4 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_6114.JPG
    IMG_6114.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 498

BroncoFan

He's got a lot of mass to him. I'd like to see how he carries it on the move. Are you going to take him to the southern slick shows? I think he has good rib shape and has a nice hip too.

TLBarrow

Thanks. We are actually located in Santa Fe, Texas (south of Houston). I would like to take him to some shows, but he is the first bull calf I have raised so not sure where I can really take him besides the majors to show. I do however have someone showing him in the breeding beef show at our county fair since I am now graduated and in my second year old college.

Bradenh

He would have done real well in yalls county bred steer deal at county- as a bull im not sure what you're going to run him as at the majors (chi?)- hes probably going to get out horsed at whatever open shows he goes to to be real honest on a standpoint of eye appeal and hair and presentation I don't see him being the "bull" type myself.

If judging him as a steer I disregard the pocture with his head down that's not a picture that represents an animal good whatsoever. So from the respectable picture he certainly would be a good slicking steer, he would have plenty of quarter to him and he looks like he would be pretty sound at the ground. If he doesn't win Galveston county bull show I'll be truly shocked- and I give you props for raising a complete and certainly high quality bull, it means a lot sentimentally to raise your own. I don't know where Id start as my reason to go about using him because he's not an outcross and I read tornado to be about the most terminal bull out there. But If you aren't looking to sell semen and are keeping him in-house he can certainly help get a set of common cows one generation closer and facing the right direction to raise show steers

Bradenh

Questions that need to be asked

What's his carrier status
Was he unassisted
What was his birthweight
How does his donor mother milk (not the recip)
How big are his testicles at this age (needs to be pushing that 40ish cm Mark)
How are his hooves designed in person?

BroncoFan

Show stopper 95 said:
He would have done real well in yalls county bred steer deal at county- as a bull im not sure what you're going to run him as at the majors (chi?)- hes probably going to get out horsed at whatever open shows he goes to to be real honest on a standpoint of eye appeal and hair and presentation I don't see him being the "bull" type myself.

If judging him as a steer I disregard the pocture with his head down that's not a picture that represents an animal good whatsoever. So from the respectable picture he certainly would be a good slicking steer, he would have plenty of quarter to him and he looks like he would be pretty sound at the ground. If he doesn't win Galveston county bull show I'll be truly shocked- and I give you props for raising a complete and certainly high quality bull, it means a lot sentimentally to raise your own. I don't know where Id start as my reason to go about using him because he's not an outcross and I read tornado to be about the most terminal bull out there. But If you aren't looking to sell semen and are keeping him in-house he can certainly help get a set of common cows one generation closer and facing the right direction to raise show steers
I kinda thought he'd make a better steer than bull but that's just my opinion.

TLBarrow

Show stopper 95 said:

Thanks. I have had a lot of people question me as to why I did not castrate him and run him as a county bred steer. Reason why is because he was born out of the county and I truly think that there are going to be a lot of good steers at the steer show at Galveston county this year. My family has won reserve in the breeding heifers in 2015 and then in 2016 we had the reserve champion county bred exotic with his half brother. So I figured why not try our hand at the bull show this year. When I picked this one up I really could have gone any way with him, considering I was able to buy him for $1,800. I have not had him tested yet but do plan to have hairs sent off soon so that way I know. He was unassisted at birth and weighed around 65-75. The cow he is out of is an extremely good milker for what she is. She is an Ice bucket Maine cross. Im honestly not sure what line Ice Bucket is as I have not been able to find anything on them and I have tried only thing I can think of is they are an old line of char. cows. I am pretty sure he is pushing the 40 cm mark but will measure to see where he is at to get an idea if he will have a chance at being a good fertile bull. I have had his hooves trimmed recently and he is super sound footed definitely does not have the typical messed up club calf feet. Here are some more pics one of the cow he is out of, one of the half brother, and a rear view of him.

Attachments

• IMG_6103-3.JPG
    IMG_6103-3.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 259
  • 13442065_10208271331174412_273279724_o.jpg
    13442065_10208271331174412_273279724_o.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_6103-3.JPG
    IMG_6103-3.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 218

Bradenh

Ice bucket would go back to Dakota ice (a blizzard son) and go back to bonanza on the cow side if I remember right-

Blizzard is found in pedigrees like Leddy 20x, smoke and mirrors, young wild and free among others