Thoughts on FSF STARBURST 058

Help Support Steer Planet:

pf

Thanks for the comments both ways, at fsf we are always trying to make our cattle better so I will take everyone's thougthts into consideration. Never knew the bull was video'd since we hadn't done it yet, but it appears he was after breeding cows in the spring here as a yearling then sent to texas at 16 months of age in the fall... looks a lil stoved up in the video thats for sure....not sure if I blame him running that hard at an early age..... We try to breed heavy muscled, big boned shorthorns, that are easy keeping.... stop on by and check them out... if you're interested in seeing Starburst in person he is at Great Lakes Sire Service in Bronson MI in collection, after that he will be home for a short bit until he heads to Dr. Tom Turners in Ohio again on lease. As for the the comparison by Olsen Family Farms comparing him to Jakes Proud Jazz that is quite a compliment, we were using JPJ years ago before most and raised many full sibs as we owned his mother Jakes Jazzy 250L with the master cattle breeder Tim Ohldhe himself...

If you question the bull go see him in person or come see his full sister at our place or view his mother at Turner Shorthorns in Ohio. We have several daughters retained out him so stop by...

kiblercattle

Pf, thanks for the info and being pleasant with the criticism that's been given. The yearling bull that I have seen out of him is a pretty impressive and sound individual.

Bi-Lane Livestock

I've got no interst in shorties and don't own a one but Mark Copus, (part owner), does not buy in on bad bulls...and the Farrer Fam are good livestock breeders so take it for what's its worth.

pf

Here's a Starburst steer we raised and sold that was resold by Bruns, Criner, and Jackson for $36,000 in Texas.... congrats to them on their success and hope this steer goes on to do great things. My dad Tom Farrer has the longest running club calf sale in the country.... this year will be the 40 th annual, you don't accomplish that by not standing behind your cattle,  so if you get into north central indiana stop by and get a first hand opinion.

Attachments

• bcj1.jpg
    bcj1.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 389

dknupp

I should be able to give my 2 cents shortly.  I have a blue roan Ali X Double Stuff cow that is two days overdue to Starburst.  This cow is huge boned and freak necked, just needs to be softer.....so I thought maybe this bull might click.  I stumbled into owning this cow and have never bred shorthorn, so I'm excited as any of my calves to raise this one.  I need to get the cow tested mostl likely a carrier.

lcattleco.

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
lcattleco. said:
Maybe he breeds long strided and super flexible!!  you probably wouldnt like him because he doesn't breed cat assed, solid red, and crooked legged.

The only way he breeds more sound than himself is if he gets used on those big, flat, cat assed, crooked legged cows.  From this video, I wouldn't use him, but that doesn't mean he hasn't made some cool ones.   To me, he's kinda like the JPJ deal. Good to use on the big, old-school Shorthorn cows, but he's not for breeders who have been somewhat progressive in the last 8-10 years.

LMAO!!!!  curious what your idea of progressive is....?  I know what mine is...  profitablility.  If a bull can ad dollars to my calf crop then there is a place for him in the shorthorn breed.  Guess if I prefer not to stack ten generations of trump or breed solid red shorthorn feeder cattle then I'm not progressive...  fine with me, rather make money any day!

shortyjock89

This raises an interesting question. Are you more concerned with making a profit on baby calves or making better cattle?

lcattleco.

There again the big picture....  Think my first post was that I actually had used the bull....  two years in a row.  Had calves that were soft, sound and soggy.  What is your idea of better cattle?

pf

Yearlings look nice, A march 2010 bull doesn't have any two year olds running around, to the best of our knowledge he didn't do much breeding in the creep feeder at 3 months of age.

garybob

lcattleco. said:
Maybe he breeds long strided and super flexible!!  you probably wouldnt like him because he doesn't breed cat assed, solid red, and crooked legged.

The only way he breeds more sound than himself is if he gets used on those big, flat, cat assed, crooked legged cows.  From this video, I wouldn't use him, but that doesn't mean he hasn't made some cool ones.   To me, he's kinda like the JPJ deal. Good to use on the big, old-school Shorthorn cows, but he's not for breeders who have been somewhat progressive in the last 8-10 years.
Ummmmm...............?????????????? I'll try to be politically correct, here.

Since WHEN is a cat assed, raw-boned, crooked-legged cow anything near an "old School" Shorthorn cow? Sonny, you need to do more research, before you go and make any ill-informed statement such as the above one.

GB

Skibinski Farms

dknupp said:
I should be able to give my 2 cents shortly.  I have a blue roan Ali X Double Stuff cow that is two days overdue to Starburst.  This cow is huge boned and freak necked, just needs to be softer.....so I thought maybe this bull might click.  I stumbled into owning this cow and have never bred shorthorn, so I'm excited as any of my calves to raise this one.  I need to get the cow tested mostl likely a carrier.

She have it yet? Just curious how it turned out???

shortyjock89

garybob said:
lcattleco. said:

Ummmmm...............?????????????? I'll try to be politically correct, here.

Since WHEN is a cat assed, raw-boned, crooked-legged cow anything near an "old School" Shorthorn cow? Sonny, you need to do more research, before you go and make any ill-informed statement such as the above one.

GB

Oh come on. Any cow around today that I would call "old-school" doesn't have 50's and 60's breeding up close in their pedigrees.  A lot of stuff from the 80's that incorporated a lot of Dual-purpose breeding in it would qualify as bigger, flatter, and more crooked legged.  The Irish stuff is probably better hipped and straighter hocked, but they're still not moderate chubby cattle.

So, since this is not the 70's, I would say the WHEN is the last 15-20 years.

shortyjock89

I also realize that bulls bred like JPJ are more traditional in their make up and pedigree, and I think this Starburst bull is in that same vein. The Farrer's have had a lot of success using those genetics, but you can't say they're the norm for Shorthorn genetics of the last 20-30 years.

Why be politically correct? You have been around for a lot longer than I have. You probably know lots of things that I don't. But it is my job to look at Shorthorns all day every day, so maybe I know a little.

dknupp

dknupp said:

So I finally had my Starburst Calf.  8 days overdue, 80-90 lbs unassisted.  Seems stylish enough.  Black bull calf.  What was my coat color percentages with this breeding?  Experts please chime in.  50 percent black, 25 percent red roan, 25 percent white?

OreoXStarburst.jpg

Attachments

• Oreo X Starburst.JPG
    Oreo X Starburst.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 247

shortyjock89

lcattleco. said:
How many of them do you have?

Starburst calves, or Shorthorns? I have no Starburst calves, but have seen a few when I've been home in Illinois/Indiana.