thoughts on what to flush her to

Help Support Steer Planet:

korytm

We will be breeding this donor next Friday for a flush.She is a Meyer son x commercial angus.  I initially planned on using I-80 or Dubai.(thoughts on these 2 bulls??)  We are looking for a bull that will add more guts and soften her up a bit. Our end result is making show heifers/replacements. We also want the bull to be a PB Maine or 3/4.
Any comments on the 2 bulls in question or thoughts on any others are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• newbs.jpg
    newbs.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 194

ruhtram

I think i-80 would work well..what has she been bred to before?

korytm

Cruiser said:
I think i-80 would work well..what has she been bred to before?
We flushed her to Irish Whiskey last year and bred her back to Gigolo Joe.All were heifers and look really nice!! My only slight concern is they look a little tight gutted right now. (She throws out a high birth weight, so we're trying to keep this in mind also)

vet tech

Not really sure either bull would give you guts. I am sure there are some Maine people on ere that could steer you in a better direction.

WJ Farms

Unstoppable is a 50% maine and he will give you the belly you are looking for and he will add some bone too also..............getting in the PB maines they tend to be tighter gutted than most other PB breeds.
And what is the reasoning behind breeding to a Maine?

korytm

We would be open to something other than Maines.
Our  goal is show heifers/replacements. She is not registered, but we want her calves to be!

AL Show Cattle

Had a old vet tell me one time if you have to ask what to flush your cow to then you should not be flushing her. I have found this to be very true. Save your time and money and see what those bulls do with her on one calf first. You will be money ahead in the long run. Nice looking cow she should have you some nice show heifers.

sackshowcattle

I know they are older bulls but when looking at maines to keep heifers from there are 3 I would look at chill factor or habanero and considering the high birth wight I would put witchdoctor in the mix. One of my most productive cows is a 13 year old witch doctor granddaughter.

Bi-Lane Livestock

If u are looking only for heifers I would us GCC Wizard sexed semen....15 million cells total.  He will add both Maine and
Simmi and make a nice cow family to breed clubby, should soften em up well.  Using sexed semen likely will result in less embryos but if u are only putting in a few a year u will get 90% heifers.  We just flushed Chinooks
Mom to sexed By-Product and recovered 11 grade 1's.  Good luck.