Thunder Lightening and ICE!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

SWMO

Well once again in the beautiful Ozarks we are having our WEEKLY thunder and ice storm.  It is 29 degrees and pouring rain thundering and lightening.  Oh and yes we are already without power. :mad:  I must say this has been a very long winter around here and we (fortunately) havent even had the bitter cold that the folks in other parts of the country have had.  But no electricity is really getting old.  We are going to wear our our now TWO generators just this winter.  Enough already.

red

Oh no, & it's coming my way! Gee thanks for the update.  ::) :p

You need to post in the winter get away! Maybe we can have a contest at the end of winter on who had the worst winter experience!

Red

SWMO

Red I don't think that anyone of us will want to relive this winter not even for a contest.  I talked to a guy this morning in Colorado and they are also tired on winter and worried about the snow melt come spring.  They are very concerned about flooding with their record snow fall.  It seems like everyone is getting their fair share this year.

How are you guys way up north getting along?  I know of several guys in SD that calve in Jan and Feb.  I can't imagine.

justintime

It was -42 with wind chill on Tuesday but Wednesday was much better at -40. It has finally moderated some today ...... finally! At least now a calf born out in the shed has a chance of surviving a few minutes in the event that I am not right there at that moment. In this weather I try to put as many that are close to calving into the barn, but it is possible to miss a few. One night in a very cold spell last winter, I put 24 cows in the barn, as a storm was moving in. Through the night I carried 8 calves into the barn that had been born in the cattle sheds. None that I had put into the barn calved.
It is often hard to be 100 % sure which cows and heifers are going to calve first. In 2006, we synch'd and bred 40 head, implanted  18 embryos, and turned out 6 herd bulls in the period of 4 days.  I have found some real differences in gestation lengths from our ET calves. Last year we had 18 days from the first calf to the last calf, on embryos implanted on the same day. The first calf born and the last calf were full sibs... and both heifers. BWs were 18 lb difference.
We need more snow as we have not had much this winter. At this point, we do not have enough to make our creeks run and we need some run off to fill some ponds.
We went into winter very dry so please send any extra moisture our way please.

We may get some cold weather but we do not get much ice. I can only remember losing our power once in my lifetime for more than 1 hour.

Rocky Hill Simmental

We got more ice here in southeast Missouri too but my power hasn't gone out yet but it's been blinking. We had an ice storm here last week too and the power was out for a few days.

Just curious, how many applicances is 1 generator able to power? I've never owned one but last week when we were checking the cows, I could here that two of my neighbors had one.

I'm looking forward to spring.

SWMO

Just in Time  you can have all our rain for a few weeks.  Went from a record drought down here to a whole lot of rain this winter.  It is a muddy mess around here.

Maybe your electric coop just does a better job of keeping their maintenance done.  In the past 14 months we have gone w/o power for several days for us to up to 10 days for others in this area twice.  Our trees look like a tornado ripped through.  Not much left of them.

dutch pride

Last week Sunday we had almost an inch of rain, then Monday and Tuesday we had over a foot of snow!!!!!!!!!  Luckily it did not turn into freezing rain and ice.

DLZ

TJ

No thunder or lightening, but we've had plenty of freezing rain & sleet today, with a little snow mixed in.  Last week, we had several inches of snow & then we had sleet & freezing rain that fell on top of the snow.  The week before that, we had several tornadoes & strong storms in this area... had about a foot of water in my basement!!  I am hoping that next week will be warm & sunny, but I wouldn't be suprised if more crazy weather is on it's way!!   

Joe Boy

WE have two rains since the second week-end in August.  Both of these storms were ice storms.  We are so thankful for the moisture.  The ground is cold and what wheat we have up is not growing due to the cold temperature of the soil.

I hope winter soon ends too....

justintime

We went from -40 temps on Tuesday and Wednesday to +30 to +35 on Friday and Saturday ( today). It is quite amazing how a couple of nice days almost makes you forget about the nasty stuff we can through a few days ago. It almost feels like that nasty, windy miserable weather was weeks ago rather than just 3 days ago.
I spent most of the afternoon helping take pictures of our bulls in the Sun Country Shorthorn Performance Bull  Test and Sale. It was nice to only wear a sweater and did not even have to wear gloves all afternoon.... this after wearing almost everything I owned is quite a change. I hope winter will leave us alone but as dry as we are, I certainly would welcome one of those wet sloppy snow storms even though it would mean a lot of extra work keeping the babies warm and dry.
By the way, I am really pleased with the set of 48 Shorthorn bulls we have. The sale is April 19th and it has lots of outcross bulls as well as some excellent herd sire prospects by some of the popular sires of today like Salute, Pure Solution and Major Leroy. Several leroy sons and grandsons that are real meat wagons. As you can probably tell, I could not be more pleased with how they have developed. If you would like to receive our sale catalogue please contact me. It will be ready in late March.

uluru

JIT sorry I couldn't be with you guys to help with the pictures today.
I understand our bulls are looking real good and I am looking forward to
getting back to Sask for the sale on April 19th
Hopefully some of our American friends will be able to find their way north for the sale.
I am in Florida for another couple of days and while we had lots of rain today the weather here has been real fine.
..........Bob

Telos

red said:
Oh no, & it's coming my way! Gee thanks for the update.  ::) :p

You need to post in the winter get away! Maybe we can have a contest at the end of winter on who had the worst winter experience!

Red

TJ

Rocky Hill Simmental said:
The ice isn't even completely melted here yet but right now it's snowing.

That's exactly what happend here today... woke up to snow falling on top of the ice.  We didn't get a lot, but we ended up with several inches of accumilation that we didn't need.  Drought this summer & now the moisture wont stop... I'm afraid that when it does, we may go back to drought conditions.  Always something interesting & even though I don't like all this weather, the Lord is in control & whatever he thinks is best, is OK with me. 

justme

I'm beginning to wonder if it will ever end ??? ???  Suppose to get ice and snow tonite in NW MO.  Fell today hard on ice, I'm so tired of it!  Here's to Mother Nature having mercy on us! lol

Jill

We are supposed to get snow and rain tonight also, I am so sick of mud and it is only Feb.  I am SO ready for summer!

red

We are getting hammered in northwest Ohio today w/ snow. Some areas up to 12". I know for some that's not a lot but it is here. The white death is upon us as the news reports!  ;)

I still want that warm get away!!!

Red