Tifton

Help Support Steer Planet:

fordkindagirl

Does anybody use Tifton 85 or Tifton 9? I have heard of people using it for show cattle because of the higher digestibility and higher protein. Supposedly without the side effects like when feeding Alfalfa. Have any of you heard about it or use it? Is it worth it? Does it affect the cattle negatively? Does it cause scours/bloat? Opinions?

shortdawg

Both were bred here just above where I live. Tift 85 is a bermuda grass and Tift 9 is a bahia grass. I love Tift 9 for grazing and it makes good hay as well. 85 I will make some great hay but the stems sometimes get a little tough for the cows when grazing.

turnpike

Tift 85 is my number 1 choice for show calves and brood cows alike. I like it because it is the widest bladed of the Bermuda grasses and gives plenty of fill to the rumen, I don't add any fiber products to my show heifers like beet pulp or full tank when feeding this hay. No Bloat problems here.

Bradenh

And thick long stem hay like that drops flanks down also.. That's what we use to keep flanks on our cattle

flacowman

Tifton ( is king for us for both hay and grazing, though we are trying a new Auburn variety this year but haven't started feeding the hay yet.  It doesn't stay pretty and golden like bermuda grass hay but is very digestible and high-yielding for both uses.