Help Support Steer Planet:

how to break a calve

• tractor

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • hands

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters

angusboy1

im about to try and break a limi calf she is about 600 pounds what is the best way to tryadn break here i thought maybe a tractor save me an concusion <hero>

txshowlamb

i uaually just work them by hand for an hour andd gradually work up the time good luck

red

there is an article on the front page of the website. It's my gentler method of breaking. I don't use a tractor but know many that do.
http://www.steerplanet.com/content/view/26/52/

Red

inthebarnagain

My question is what I ask every one that I see breaking a calf with a tractor, exactly what show do you go to that you can take the tractor in the ring????

It is kind of the same as using tiedowns, drawreins, etc on a horse when you are riding it at home all the time.  When you go to the show, what happens when you can't put all that stuff on the horse?

Bawndoh

inthebarnagain said:
My question is what I ask every one that I see breaking a calf with a tractor, exactly what show do you go to that you can take the tractor in the ring????

It is kind of the same as using tiedowns, drawreins, etc on a horse when you are riding it at home all the time.  When you go to the show, what happens when you can't put all that stuff on the horse?

Great question/comment.  I always say, I am sure the calf knows the difference between a tractor or a donkey.  And if he finds that out once, you are back to square one.

red

Bawndoh said:
inthebarnagain said:

Great question/comment.  I always say, I am sure the calf knows the difference between a tractor or a donkey.  And if he finds that out once, you are back to square one.

that's what I always found.

Red

inthebarnagain

And you are in worse shape than when you started because you have toughened their jaw up and your leverage is GONE. 

When I break calves I start in a small area with a long lead that they couldn't get away from me if they try.  Until they will walk for me AND let me touch them while I have a hold of the halter, they DO NOT GET TIED UP. 

I  never use a chute to put a halter on one.  I start in a 10 X 10 stall and get my hands or a show stick on them and touch them everywhere.  Then slide a halter that has a ring so it will tighten and loosen quick on their head.  Let them throw their head around and run around you in the stall.  Just stand their and hold the rope but don't put pressure on them until they get used to the feel of the halter.  That has never taken more than 5 minutes with any calf I have broke.  When they stop, start to put a little pressure on the rope and get them to take one step.  Then get a stimulator comb, and start combing.  You are in a small stall still so the calf can't get away, use the halter to stop the calf, use your body to corner the calf and keep combing, if they walk a little, that is okay, just don't let them go nuts and run around you.  They will be very sensitive to the halter and you can stop them. 

When you can get that accomplished make your stall bigger, mine opens up to 10 X 30.  When you can move them around the stall and stop them when you want to and get a hand on them, tie them up level with their head.  Think about it, that is the level your hands have been, don't confuse them by tying their head in the air yet or tying them to low.  If you have done your stall work properly, they won't fight being tied for more than 5 minutes and it won't be a fight, it will be them moving back and forth trying to figure out why they can't still follow you.  And then it is done. 

My 10 year old daughter (who weighs a whopping 56 pounds) broke her Simmental heifer herself this year, with me helping when it came to tie her up.  I wouldn't recommend that for anyone but this heifer was exceptionally quiet and I was standing on the wall of the stall at all times. 

I have broke close to 100 calves that way, by the end of the third day I had everyone of them tied up and combing them from head to tail without a problem.  I only used our donkey on two of them, both of them were kickers and it was because I got in too big of a hurry breaking them.  It was when I first started using this method and was still learning! 

You  only have one to do, be patient, take your time.  By the end of the week you can have her in the chute getting blown and combed like an old show cow. 

Bawndoh

inthebarnagain said:
And you are in worse shape than when you started because you have toughened their jaw up and your leverage is GONE. 

When I break calves I start in a small area with a long lead that they couldn't get away from me if they try.  Until they will walk for me AND let me touch them while I have a hold of the halter, they DO NOT GET TIED UP. 

I  never use a chute to put a halter on one.  I start in a 10 X 10 stall and get my hands or a show stick on them and touch them everywhere.   Then slide a halter that has a ring so it will tighten and loosen quick on their head.  Let them throw their head around and run around you in the stall.  Just stand their and hold the rope but don't put pressure on them until they get used to the feel of the halter.  That has never taken more than 5 minutes with any calf I have broke.  When they stop, start to put a little pressure on the rope and get them to take one step.  Then get a stimulator comb, and start combing.  You are in a small stall still so the calf can't get away, use the halter to stop the calf, use your body to corner the calf and keep combing, if they walk a little, that is okay, just don't let them go nuts and run around you.  They will be very sensitive to the halter and you can stop them. 

When you can get that accomplished make your stall bigger, mine opens up to 10 X 30.  When you can move them around the stall and stop them when you want to and get a hand on them, tie them up level with their head.  Think about it, that is the level your hands have been, don't confuse them by tying their head in the air yet or tying them to low.  If you have done your stall work properly, they won't fight being tied for more than 5 minutes and it won't be a fight, it will be them moving back and forth trying to figure out why they can't still follow you.  And then it is done. 

My 10 year old daughter (who weighs a whopping 56 pounds) broke her Simmental heifer herself this year, with me helping when it came to tie her up.  I wouldn't recommend that for anyone but this heifer was exceptionally quiet and I was standing on the wall of the stall at all times. 

I have broke close to 100 calves that way, by the end of the third day I had everyone of them tied up and combing them from head to tail without a problem.  I only used our donkey on two of them, both of them were kickers and it was because I got in too big of a hurry breaking them.  It was when I first started using this method and was still learning! 

You  only have one to do, be patient, take your time.  By the end of the week you can have her in the chute getting blown and combed like an old show cow. 

Perfect, Perfect, Perfect.  This is exactly how it should be done!  (clapping) (clapping).  I too, use the same method.  I am constantly nagging to get people to do it this way as well, but I am not sure they listen/trust/or care.  Anyhow, I like the statement about your daughter being able to break her heifer.  That is so true using this method.  You do not have to be a 300lb 6 foot 5 inch man to break an animal.  Also, by not ever tying them up until they are used to the halter and are somewhat already lead-broke, they go through a lot less stress pulling against a post trying to figure things out.  It is much more effective if you have them leading around for a couple of days before you ever tie them up to a solid object.  It is amazing how calves will transform their attitudes after you work with them and show them a little respect before ever tying them up.

farmboy

excellent ITBA  (clapping)

the only thing i coulp add on to that, is it works if you hand feed them a little after they have settled down  O0

Latest posts