Timid shower update!

Help Support Steer Planet:

justme

As many of you planet veterns know, my daughter had a terrible time last year going into the ring.  Her picture is on Red's article about timid showmen.  Well, she started that scared stuff again this year.  I was worried to death.  We attened Chuck McCullough's clipping camp for 3 days and she did an awesome job.  I was impressed how fast a 10 year old could pick up clipping techniques.

We had our first outting this Saturday.  Besides the stress of getting there late (daddy knew a shortcut, added an hour to our drive and we had less then 30 mins. to wash, blow, and fit) she did a great job.  I was so proud of her.  First class out was with her Maine heifer and she won champion maine.  That was great, but the best part was the judges comments.  He said he judges many shows and see's lots of kids come out into the ring; he said without a doubt he could tell that she did her project not her parents.  He was impressed how she kept her calf calm, answered her questions, ect.  You should have seen her smile.  That was what she told me first thing, not how she did.  (I missed her class, I was fitting her second heifer.)

Second heifer a shorthorn plus goes next.  Lindi decides to toss her head and take Danielle for a walk.  Last year, this would have devistated her.  It may have even caused her to quit showing all together.  My husband about went into the ring, but before he could, our skinny little girl dug her heels in and gave the halter a swift jerk.  Stopped the heifer dead in its tracks.  Even though it slowed the class, she pet the heifer and calmed it down then went on.  She didn't win her class, but the judge once again told the kids watching that they should pay attention to her.  He'd rather have the line slow or stop for a minute and have a young person use calm compassion to calm the heifer down.  Not once did she grit her teeth, get mad, or hit the heifer across the nose.  He said that is a sign that she knew her heifer and did her project.  He was also impressed that she helped clip the heifer. 

I hate to brag, but I'm so proud of her.  Many think a 9 or 10 year old isn't old enough to do a bigger heifer project....Danielle proved them wrong this weekend.  Granted, we got heifers with the right personality and were lucky, but I'd never let her lead a "mean"  or high strung heifer at her age and size.

There's hope for all us parents with kids that are a little scared.  If Danielle can overcome her phobia, the others can too!  She went from hyperventalating to going in there with confidence.  Didn't even bother her that she didn't win that shorthorn class....she was just as pleased doing a good job showing her heifer.

kanshow

That is awesome!!!!  Isn't it a great feeling when they start to handle things by themselves?    Go ahead and brag all you want!!  You should be very proud!!!!

Simmymom1

(clapping)    <party> That is so awesome for your daughter!!  It seems that both of our daughters have turned the corner when it comes to being more confident in the show ring.  I am so happy for you and for her!!  You have the right to brag, she did great!! 

red

Go Dee!!!  <party> <party> I just can't wait to meet her at Jr Natl's!!!!

Red

garett

WOW sounds like she did a real swell job! I sorry that I missed th event. I wanted to at least go and watch. Send me a picture or two!