tip for cleaning up calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I don't know about everyone else but I don't start washing calves until they're really broke. Just don't want the chance of one getting away or me getting hurt.
I did find a way to get those manure balls off & not pull out chunks of hair.

put cups Kleen sheen into a spray bottle
add 1 cup rag oil
6 oz absorbine
fill the rest of the way w/ more kleen sheen

squirt this on the manure balls or dirty areas. Allow to sit for a couple of minutes. Balls or dirt should be able to be combed out very easily.

Red

kanshow

We don't usually wash them until they are broke good either, but on the flip side, once you start washing & blowing - they really seem to gentle down quickly.

I used to know these people who would use power washer on their weanling & yearling horses to 'sack' them out.  They claimed it worked..  I have no idea as I've never been brave enough or had the desire to try it.   

Show Dad

Excellent advice Red! :) :) And great recipe. Those balls of crap (dirt, mud & manure) and curry comes can really be hard on hair (washee) and backs (washer).

We actually use and old chute to give them their first washings. Sometimes it's just a hose down with a quick pass of the blower. But it's a start and part of our breaking process. We can then gauge how they will do in the wash rack (but by no means is it a fool proof system, hey look who's writing this  :p : ;)). As part of the process we then move them to a Filson grooming (heavy duty) chute for full blowing after the wash and stick introduction.

By the way not to hijack Red's thread but we couldn't live with out that Filson grooming chute. Even had a neighbor use it to help train his bull. So I mean this thing is heavy. It has taken alot of punishment. We don't take it to a show because of its weight but allows the access of a grooming chute while being as rugged as a squeeze chute. http://www.filsonlivestockequip.com/grooming_chute.htm

Just my opinion. Nanu Nanu  <alien>

Superblocker

I try to get them in the wash rack as soon as I can lead them there. I try to start breaking them young. I have a calf stall in the barn that only the calves can enter to get feed. Once they are used to coming in and out on a regular basis, I start closing the gate behind them and introduce them to the rope halter. By the time they reach 350 or 400 lbs, I'm washing those balls of manure and mud off with EZ-all. That stuff really seems to work great on breaking it down and rinsing it away. This seems to make the wiening process less stressful as well. I will have to try your recipe for the ones that are not as willing.

TJ

red said:
I don't know about everyone else but I don't start washing calves until they're really broke. Just don't want the chance of one getting away or me getting hurt.

add 1 cup rag oil
6 oz absorbine

squirt this on the manure balls or dirty areas. Allow to sit for a couple of minutes. Balls or dirt should be able to be combed out very easily.

Red

Red if you didn't already have 65,000+ karma points, I'd give you one.  Nice informative post, as always.  You do a great job sharing info! 

ShowmanQ

Not to steal your thunder Red, you should try a half and half mix of purple oil and kleen sheen. That what we use and it works great!!! Purple oil on its own will help to break down the balls of "stuff", but adding the kleen sheen helps to "rehydrate" the hair.
I will for sure try your mix, I am all about trying new ideas!!! Nice info, glad to see people who are not afraid to share their "secrets" (clapping)

TJ

^ ^ ^  I agree.  Purple oil is pretty good stuff for breaking down & loosening stuff. 

Malinda

For what it's worth, here is my routine:

day 1 in the working chute with their head tied up. I scratch them, clip their head, tail and sheath, introduce them to a scotch comb. Tied about half an hour.

day 2 starts in the wash rack. I make a triangle shaped pen with gates, drive them in there and get down to washing. The secret here is that I use EZ All. You do not have to wet them first and if you do not get all the shampoo out it will not cause dander, etc. I don't make a big deal out of this: go slow, no rapid movements, if they get nervous I back of for a minute and I start on the hooves. Then they go to the chute with their head tied up for about 45 minutes. This is also the day they meet the blower. I only use one motor at first and go really slow.

day 3 is all spent in the working chute. I blow them off, use the scotch comb, use clippers a little on their neck, top or wherever. I leave them tied head up for an hour. If the calf is calm and my senses tell me they are ready I open up the head catch and off we go with leading.

day 4 is a repaet of day 3.

I have never had a calf take more than the fourth day to start leading.

I think day one and day 2 are the secret. Day 1 says I can do what I want to you, you can't hurt yourself and you can't hurt me. The day 2 bath may be the real gem. I don't know what it is about washing a calf (it feels good, they have to submit??), but it really calms them down.

About the EZ All....Someone asked on a previous post about the foamer. I think it is essential for how the product is designed to work. The foamer makes the shampoo come out of the nozzle in a foam that kinda acts like hydrogen peroxide; it foams and bubbles and loosens up the dirt/manure. I have been using this stuff since 2001 (it was EQ Solutions back then) and I can find dozens of uses for it.

I have used it to:

Malinda

Well, there was a glitch in the system. Somehow my post got sent off into cyberspace before I finished! Sorry.

I have used EZ All to wash off dried manure on gates, watering tanks, feed tubs, etc. It is great for cleaning out watering tanks. I have not had a case of ringworm since I started using it. I soak dirty halters, combs, etc. I even wash the walls in my wash rack and my pens with it. Some people even do their laundry with it.

If this sounds like an advertisement it is. There is an old video floating around of me washing King Kong and I do sell the stuff.

HAve fun breaking those calves!

Malinda

frostback

This is the one issue I dont agree with Red on.  :eek: I will start washing and blowing on a calf as soon as they stand and do not fight the halter. If you have a calf and then try to brush them and they jump you automatically jump back yourself, but if you use a blower that air is on them all the time and they cant get away from it and if they kick they will only be kicking air and you are far back enough that they cant get you. I dont use a chute at all because I am usually by myself and it is too hard to get them in. I can have a calf tie broke, washed and blown and clipped all tied to a fence in less than a week.                                                        They will also be introduced to a show stick early. I have a small pen and the second time I untie them I use the stick on them, and every time after that I use it when I am walking around the pen pulling them in a circle. When they take a step I stop and scratch then ask for another. If they are giving to the halter I walk for a few steps and scratch but if they are pulling some I only go one step at a time.

red

I've tried that Frosty but between the hubby on crutches & me being me, we need to get them well trained. I've never had much trouble getting them washed or blown out later. I am starting to use the scotch comb on their legs to prevent kicking later.

I'll have to try the purple oil, have never used it. My mixture is one we also use when it's too cold to wash or for emergencies. It really cleans them up.

Red

chambero

I'm lazy on this one.  When we wean babies that are going to get clipped, I'll run them into our 10x20 washrack and lock them in.  I use EZAll on them and wash them all as a group.  You'd be amazed at how clean you can get them.  I like to only subject them to one new experience at a time.  Since I'm usually in a hurry to get them clipped, I start with washing first before ever worrying about halters.  Fastest way for me to get groups washed in a hurry - at least good enough for a rough clipping.  They take it better being in there with their buddies.  They'll usually stand pretty good for you to blow dry them like that.  You can knock the water out of them good enough to turn them out into the sun to dry. 

alwayssecond

We usually get the halter on and within a couple days we start washing a blowing. It really seems to calm them down.

4Ts4H

red said:

add 1 cup rag oil
6 oz absorbine

Red

OK, I missed something in here.  How much Kleen Sheen is this total???

red

you start w/ 2 cups & after you add the others fill to top w/ more kleen sheen. Usually it takes about 2 1/2- 3 cups total.

Red

jarrett

S.R.S. soap sold by Jarrett Davis  Sterling, Oklahoma.... Superior soap for washing anything.... email; or call for info...
You can check out customer comments at oklahomashowpigs.com......580-365-4696