Tips and pointers for rookies and youngsters

Help Support Steer Planet:

AndersonCattle

What kind of pointers do all of you seasoned veterans have for us youngsters? What to avoid, what to be sure to do, etc. Tips on building a herd and funding the whole process. Thank You

Mainevent

Build your herd around good cows. Don't buy those freaky made market heifers and try to make cows out of them. True some do make good cows but for the most part you'll be beating you're head against the wall with them.

sizzler14

some may disagree and thats fine to each their own, but when starting a cow herd, i wouldnt buy any females with heat wave in them. be it direct daughter, grand daughter or great grand daughter. there are plenty of bulls out there to buy females out of that will milk as cows and produce good calves when bred to heat wave genetics. I.e Who made who, meyer 734, maximus, alias, yellow jacket, and many more!

DiamondMCattle

I would suggest starting with cows with no clubby in them, whether it be angus, sim angus, shorthorns, or whatever your breed preference may be. That gives you the option to raise breed steers and heifer or cubbies. As far as financing, there are different ways to go you may be able to get an FFA loan if you're still in the program. Or you may decide to fund it without borrowing any money.

AndersonCattle

Thanks. I am on the right start. I am just restarting from scratch practically. I've got some Angus, Commercial Angus, Simi Cross, and Hereford Cross younger cows. Sold all of the steers made clubby heifers, going for the functional female route. All the input out there is appreciated.

OH Breeder

First establish your goals. What are you raising? Steers, feeders, replacements
Second find someone who you can trust. It takes time but I have several friends that are honest and keep me on track with breeding. I can call and shoot the breeze about current and past sires strengthens weakness.
Decide on breed or breeds. Every breed has their issues and its easy to start with clean genetics.
Make logical decisions not impulsive or emotional decisions when choosing and culling stock.

THose are a few of the very many things I struggled with raising livestock.

jwfarms

OH Breeder said:
First establish your goals. What are you raising? Steers, feeders, replacements
Second find someone who you can trust. It takes time but I have several friends that are honest and keep me on track with breeding. I can call and shoot the breeze about current and past sires strengthens weakness.
Decide on breed or breeds. Every breed has their issues and its easy to start with clean genetics.
Make logical decisions not impulsive or emotional decisions when choosing and culling stock.

THose are a few of the very many things I struggled with raising livestock.

Bolded the most important part. 

Also some quality older cows that might have gone of to pasture for another breeder could still produce quality calves and start working good bloodlines into your herd.

AndersonCattle

Sounds great. I am just wanting to raise good functional cattle, the kind that will keep a man in business kind of cattle and if I luck out and get a few steers worth showing that is great but mainly keeping functional females that I can breed to a club calf bull later to try for steers or breed to a maternal type of bull for raising replacements, that's the kind of herd I am trying to build. I started over with a clean slate because I was getting to the point where everything was getting too clubby and all of my heifers where just steers with the wrong plumbing, so I am trying to start over. Thanks for the help guys !