Tips thread

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmboy

little tid bits that can make a difference in the show ring...LETS HEAR EM (cow)

i concluded today that something that might help is before you go in the ring, stick your hand down in your feed to get it smelling like that and they may follow you a lttle better..idk :)))

red

Don't know if the hand in the feed will help much. Maybe you can cover your arm w/ molasses? Just kidding.
I think if you can work w/ the animal so that it walks into a proper set-up position you are way ahead of the game. Less time will be spent sticking them to get them set-up. Also make sure you've worked w/ them at home wearing the show halter. some don't like the feel of the chain at first. I cover my chain w/ vet tape. I also cut of some of the length on the leather strap.
Make sure your show stick is the proper length for you. Some kids have long ones that they can hardly use. Also make sure your halters still fit each time.

Red

pigguy

i wish i had a showstick that was like 72 inches long so i can show my yearling heifer that will be shown as a 2 year old, OMG she is long.

dutch pride

The best thing you can do for help in the show ring is to work hard outside the show ring. By doing this, you will get to know your calf tendencies. By this I mean, does he like to follow or like to lead? does he hug the rail or shy away from it? How does he respond to the show stick? How does he respond when someone walks around or along side of him? The more you get to know your calf, the better you will be able to compensate for his mannerisms.

AAOK

dutch pride said:
The best thing you can do for help in the show ring is to work hard outside the show ring. By doing this, you will get to know your calf tendencies. By this I mean, does he like to follow or like to lead? does he hug the rail or shy away from it? How does he respond to the show stick? How does he respond when someone walks around or along side of him? The more you get to know your calf, the better you will be able to compensate for his mannerisms.

Dutch Pride hit it!  Showmanship is always won, or lost at home.  Here are some lines of mine I borrowed from another post: 

When our girls were showing, I took care of the breaking, and then turned over the daily duties to them.  I would sit in a lawn chair while the girls would spend about an hour most every evening walking the calves around in circles, setting up, pulling out of a line-up, etc.  There really were no tricks we used, except that the kids would try very hard to never get in front of the nose of their calf.  This did create a bit of the off balance positioning Knabe mentioned, and created a cue for the calf's next action.  My job was to instruct the girls at what speed each calf walked best, exact hoof set-up, head positioning, etc.  This was done over and over until both calf and handler acted & reacted the same way every time.  Just like sculpting hair, our walking/positioning was covering faults.

Here is my response to a leading smoothly question.  It helps to have a lead calf.  It was tough for the girls to not pull the calves, but I would make them stay in place until their calf would step when they stepped.  Most of the time, we kept the more experienced calf in the lead hole.  The rookie would usually follow.  Rotation began when the #2 calf was cooperating about 50% of the time.  They rarely ever needed their show sticks. as the calves new exactly how to stop bassed on the girls' steps.