Tire biting- woody not cattle!

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

knabe said:
shy cats especially like it if you get down low.

Knabe- I have no such thing as a shy cat! Even the farm cats are fat, friendly fur balls!

Red

kanshow

I'd try the spray bottle/ spray gun of water first.  It works pretty good most of the time for other corgi things...   

knabe

russian greys are notoriously single person cats.  i have 3 and they hide under the covers when anyone visits.  they won't let you pet them unless you kneel down.  my aunt had at least two that were the same.  i have seen exceptions on the russian greys though.

Bawndoh

fluffer said:
If a dog jumps on me, I knee them in the chest as they jump up (if they are tall enough)

Me Too!!  It absolutely works. 
I HATE when I go to someone elses house and their dog is jumping all over me and they dont even try to scold them...aarrgg.

oakbar

Red,

Use a shock collar sooner rather than later.  We tried several things for my niece's dog when it started chasing and biting tires and eventually we ended up burying her.  You can use a low setting and it will not harm your pet.  In fact if you have one with the sound button as well after a few times you'll only need to use the sound and not shock him.  Also use it now when he's working on the tires of your wagon where you can see him before he ever moves to car or truck tires where you can't.
We use electric fences to train our cattle and horses and this is really just a lighter, more directed form of that.  We had to use one on Tessie when she decided she should chase the deer that frequent our backyard.  She would end up 1/2 a mile from home and across busy roads where she could have been run over. 

Its obvious how Woody means to you-- I'd much rather have you shock him a few times rather than have a disaster!! 

dori36

red said:
I've got a problem w/ Woody that I'm afraid will get serious. I have a little cart I pull for yard work. He seems to have to get in front & bite the tires. I'm afraid he'll progress to trucks & tractors. The heeler does it to the lawnmover but he is so big you see him. Woody's a squirt!

Any ideas of suggestions on getting him to stop?  (dog)  (dog)  (dog)

Red

Oooh, I fear for him, Cathy.  He'll probably just get worse without some behavior modification.  I'd try the shock collar, fer sure.  You might have to shave a little spot on his neck to get a good contact.  My Aussie used to chase and nohing, including the collar, stopped her.....until.....she finally got hit when attacking the tire of a pickup truck.  Broke her front leg and smashed her nose and teeth.  Blood everywhere but very few permanent injuries.  It cured her but she's bigger than Woody.  I'm afraid he wouldn't survive it.

dutch pride

We had a Grerman Shepard when I was a kid that liked to chase cars and bikes etc. Someone told us to put him on  long chain with a choke collar and tie it to a tree by the road. Problem was the dog was so smart that when ever he was tied, he just sat there and let the cars go by. The minute he was loose he went to chasing again.

DLZ

char

my corgi is very smart... and listens pretty good....but what she is going to get is puppy school....whether she needs it or not....i took my last dog there and she was a german shepherd and she was the best dog to break cattle because she listened and knew the commands....and my little Foxxy is going to school....because they learn soo much...plus then the family knows what the goals are and then u all work together and it makes a very happy family dog and all.....just wish the kids could go to that school and learn the same thing...... ;D    char

JbarL

crude but effective....and this is more along the car chasing line...the wheels seem to be the main attraction...put a shirt or piece of cloth under the hubcap ( cart wheel stud )...drive by ( semi slowly obviosuly) and let him grab ahold of it.....when he stops rolling, and the stars arent visable anymore....he shouldnt chase cars/ carts anymore...i no woody is small, and this sounds a bit on the rough side....but this is an ole car chasin trick.....where  fatal consiquenses of chasing ( cars) are likely, and "drastic cirsimstance deem drasic measures".....but it does work....good luck.....jbarl

CAB

Cathy, please be careful. I would not use the shirt or rag under the hub cap trick. You stand the chance of breaking the dogs neck.

BCCC

shock collar?? it would deffinatly would work and  wouldnt know what hit him, aand sense they are wireless, he wouldnt be putting two and two together

red

we tried the shock collar treatment w/ the heeler & he'd either hide under my legs when shocked or behave when collor was on.

Woody's doing better w/ a little firm voice & a swat from a foam kneeling pad. He's pretty smart & catches on fast. too smart. I'm also doing the knee thing for jumping.

Thanks to all. I am really parinoid about him getting hit.

Red

Bawndoh

red said:
we tried the shock collar treatment w/ the heeler & he'd either hide under my legs when shocked or behave when collor was on.

Woody's doing better w/ a little firm voice & a swat from a foam kneeling pad. He's pretty smart & catches on fast. too smart. I'm also doing the knee thing for jumping.

Thanks to all. I am really parinoid about him getting hit.

Red
Does he bite vehicle tires?  If so, this would be perfect.  Get someone else to drive the vehicle while you hide in the house or somewhere that Wodie doesnt know where you are.  Shock him before he goes for the tire.  Do it when he is starting to eye it up. 

red

so far I've kept him away from vehicle tires. like I said, I'm really parinoid about him getting hit.

Red

JbarL

red said:
so far I've kept him away from vehicle tires. like I said, I'm really parinoid about him getting hit.

Red
cathy....i no how scary it can be...my previous advice like i said is an extreme case of disipline.....and it is more for car chasers....which is a fatal attraction for any size dog....not sure how far youi are away from the road....if its just the cart or gator wheels hes after...i guess the likeley hood of it being fatal is alot less....an old friend of my grandfather showed us a few "extreme" practices he used...30 yrs ago...all are extreme....all have worked..and all were detramental to the life of the dog if he continued anyof them...1 is chasin cars....1 is killin chickens....and 1 is a coon dog who runs deer....all three conditions would  leave the dog useless/ or dead from its habits.....and all three solutions could ( will) probally require some aleve the next day.....but right now...seems woody is kickin its butt, and getting plenty of attention doin' it....whether its a shock collar, a boot in the lung, or a roll across the ground.....pain is going to be  associated with it.....the only reason i even jumped in was because aobut 20 some yrs ago i lost my first j rusell casue i thought she was to small to try it on her ........( didn't have 4 wheelers or gators then...and she woudnt chase the tractor)...and that was her demise.....i'd a loved to of had a smaller vehicle to try and got her broke of it.......and i sure dont want to be responsible for someone tryin' it and not understanding the consiquenses.....medicine aint supposed to taste good...especially if its curin something thats gonna be our demise...good luck red...good luck woody...jbarl

showsteer09

Red If u work with him he will stop that  what i did with turbo dog he like hearding the hay wagon... I did the old lead trick have my wife hold him and do the talkin that dog listins to her better them me and i drove the tractor it works.. One thing about them little dogs they are TO SMART FOR THERE OWN GOOD lol... (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog)

red

Woody update- I had the cart out & he just walked beside it. No biting or anything. I truely think the dog is smarter than me!

Red  (lol)  (dog)