TJLA Fall classic

Help Support Steer Planet:

afhm

Any results out of Waco?  Interested in steers and heifers.  What were the winners out of and who did they come from?  Were the numbers up or down?  Thanks.

rackranch

The steer numbers way down... Winner was a ringer brought in from out of state.  This is the reason the numbers are down.  People aren't going to take the time to go as long as it continues to be a Ryan Rash dog and pony show.

Show Barn Mom

Sorry to not provide you with the results you were seeking!  Guess you will just have to wait for the backdrop photos in The Showbox (lol)!  Sounds like RR left Waco in a real huff!  We have been going for the past 8 years and yes, the cattle numbers appeared to be down significantly.  In the defense of the show management and their SPIN that "this fall classic set new record numbers" I have to say it is pretty hard to get a visual on the actual numbers when the cattle stalling locations are so spread out.  RE RRs' post about the show, YEP the Fall Classic and BBB have been that way since we started! :(.  We all have a choice, Don't Go!  Or, you can continue to go and take good calves and make the judges job that much harder.  Over the years we have taken better and better animals just so the judges have to really work and come up with even more challenging reasons to give it to the establishment. We love it when one of the establishments chosen judges breaks rank and actually uses our calf.  (clapping)  Sad thing is, that judge is usually in B ring where they don't give any prizes!  Even more disheartening than the cattle classes were the steer and heifer showmanship classes.  Sad, sad, sad :'(!  Finally, I have one observation for Rack Ranch.  In your 28Nov2011 Steer Planet post about this same topic you stated "They placed top five overall and every steer came out of the exotics...No love for the British steers at all.. Or Americans for that matter but that is understandable..I would have liked to have division champions like to heifers.  We had a Gert Champ and Brangus champ and had to wait five hours for the champion drive knowing it was all for show.  I was happy to be there but when you have a 5-6 hour drive home... Well you know.. Very nice set at the top end as always."  What happened this year RR, no Gert and Brangus steer champs?

rackranch

I guess I need to add that I had a very enjoyable FC with friends and Family.  I won the heavy weight Charolais steer class, had a class winning Santa Gertrudis heifer, and a baby steer that surpassed my expectations.  Not to mention the numerous other successes I had fitting with good friends and their families.  Like you I have been going for many years and know the challenges of doing well at both the BBB and the FC so we are happy any time we can win a class.

Most families that have been going for the past 8 year know who I am and my families contributions to the TJLA cattle division. Other than my original post, I'm not going to air the organizations dirty laundry on the web.  There are many outstanding young men and women involved with the TJLA that need good leadership for the organization to see its full potential.  Although my original post is out of line, it is my hope that post like this will bring the needed change at the top.  It is my fear that certain divisions will continue to suffer without it.

Just FYI for those wondering, the BBB and the FC heifer numbers are way up this year.  So really not a ''Spin" on the numbers...

Show Barn Mom, How did your Family do this year?

Show Barn Mom

Like RR we had a good show. Actually, best show ever with 3 wins, two of those wins were with a home bred, 3 seconds, 3 thirds, a 4th, a 5th, a 7th, and a Res Breed in the B ring!  (clapping)  We all get frustrated with the organization and how things go but when it is all said and done, attending/participating at the BBB and FC is not really about the show!  It is about the people you meet, the relationships you develop, and the life lessons you learn.  (lol)I am convinced all of us who live the stock show life can teach the rest of the world how to master the logistics of moving herds of animals, STUFF, and people more efficiently than any career military Staff Sargent!  Happy Holidays to All!  See you at Fort Worth, San Antonio, San Angelo, Austin, Houston..... or the 2014 BBB.   

bk2005

What are the entry fees for the fc & bbb? In Ohio all our points shows are $95/head for 2 rings.