TM Gus calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bawndoh

Does anybody have photos of their babies, or yearlings and two-year-olds?
How do you like them?  What type of cows does he work on?

oakbar

We raised a pretty good bull out of Gus that we sold at the MN Shorthorn sale(Oakbar Windchester).  I'll attach his picture.  We have a Gus X Myrtle Bo calf on the ground  that was born on March 3rd that we really like.  I think I have a picture of him at about 2 weeks of age.  We'll l be getting one more(Gus X Vortec) in May. 

CPUbarn also has 2 Gus X Myrtle Bo heifers on the ground that are about 3 weeks old.

Attachments

• TM Gus X Myrtle Bo 3-21-10.JPG
    TM Gus X Myrtle Bo 3-21-10.JPG
    234.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Windchester 1 12-6-09[1].JPG
    Windchester 1 12-6-09[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,694
  • Selling Oakbar Windchester 2-7-10.jpg
    Selling Oakbar Windchester 2-7-10.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 154

linnettejane

dont have any recent pics...might get some in the next couple days
heifer out of gizmo cow

Attachments

• 100_7997.jpg
    100_7997.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 100_7870.jpg
    100_7870.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 100_7482.jpg
    100_7482.jpg
    584.2 KB · Views: 160

cpubarn

We had 4 Gus calves this year.

I did breed him to two heifers, I'm definetaly going back to angus for first calvers here, but none were real big,  80-90lbs.  That being said we REALLY like the Gus calves.  All 4 have/had an extended front, and white star on head.  They look stylish and I worried a little about depth of body at birth but they are filling out.  The two ET calves that oakbar talked about have been treated for scours a couple of times (not Gus' fault) and are just now feeling better, I will have my son get a picture over the weekend.  None of the calves are real heavy boned yet, but "adaquate"...

It is too early for me to say what he works on as mine are less than a month old.  I'm going to try deeper bodied 2nd calvers that need a little style.

We loved the bull in Denver, 09

Mark

Bawndoh

Wow, great, Thank You for all of the replies so far.  I think a lot of ppl are wondering the same things as I, but not a lot of people have talked about the bull a whole lot.  I have certainly not heard a bad thing yet, however.  I am looking for a bull to breed to my RA cows, to basically add overall mass (width, squareness, body, and rib).  I am not worried too much about bone, but definitely do not want to sacrifice structure. I want to basically make ideal clubby mama cows (aka cows that are safe/ideal to breed to clubby bulls).  I feel that Gus would be a good choice, as he seems to be doing all of this, but not too extremely.  My other thought, was to use Justintimes Pioneer bull.  They seem to be breeding similar, so its just a basic coin toss right now.

mark tenenbaum

That is a powerfull hiefer and she was probably in 100 range to be that stout this soon. Gus not withstanding that cow is an absolute moose. I personally think the Wynore gizmo deal  or ALM Chiller on the  reds would really work for proven low BW  x-bred club caf mommas- I also like Free For All -and Fringe sofar-but the Birthwts would need to be moderated on the red angus side, a couple of our  Free For All newborns have been posted. O0

cpubarn

Here are a couple of pictures of Gus calves that Jacob took this weekend.

#77 is an ET heifer
#4 is a Gus x Jakes Proud Jazz

Attachments

• #77.jpg
    #77.jpg
    992.7 KB · Views: 196
  • #4.jpg
    #4.jpg
    827.1 KB · Views: 197

linnettejane

mark tenenbaum said:
That is a powerfull hiefer and she was probably in 100 range to be that stout this soon. Gus not withstanding that cow is an absolute moose. I personally think the Wynore gizmo deal  or ALM Chiller on the  reds would really work for proven low BW  x-bred club caf mommas- I also like Free For All -and Fringe sofar-but the Birthwts would need to be moderated on the red angus side, a couple of our  Free For All newborns have been posted. O0
close...102

OH Breeder

Those of you who have experience with Gus. Could list the pro's and con's that you see right off the bat with his calves. You like XYZ but would change ABC? does he add any bone or subtract etc. It looks like some of the cows you folks used him on had some body and mass to them. I have a cow I would like to use him on.
Thank you in advnace
PS
NICE CALVEs everyone.... (thumbsup)