TO BODY CLIP OR NOT

Help Support Steer Planet:

JST

WE HAVE  STEER THAT HAS QUITE A BIT OF FUZZ (THE STUFF THAT WILL PROBABLY SHED OFF) ON HIS BODY. SHOULD WE BODY CLIP HIM NOW OR JUST KEEP COMBING EVERY DAY? WE LIVE IN NEBRASKA AND ARE STILL HAVING COLD WEATHER WITH SNOW. OUR FIRST SHOW WE NORMALLY GO TO IS THE FIRST PART OF JUNE. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS.

flacowman

I wouldn't clip.  If it's a hair show you'll still have a chance of him not shedding and if it's slick you have plenty of time to clip him once it warms up some more.  My rule of thumb has always been don't clip it off unless you can afford for it not to come back

shortyjock89

flacowman said:
I wouldn't clip.  If it's a hair show you'll still have a chance of him not shedding and if it's slick you have plenty of time to clip him once it warms up some more.  My rule of thumb has always been don't clip it off unless you can afford for it not to come back

It will definitely be a hair show in Nebraska.  I probably wouldn't shear him unless it's already shucking.  He would almost certainly have shucked at least some hair by June.  When ours start to let the hair go in the spring, we encourage it for two weeks really hard.  We don't rinse as much, we don't keep them under fans for those couple weeks. Then, as soon as they're done shedding, we get right on our summer schedule for hair growth.  We've never had one not put on at least some good hair.  You could get enough hair back by June to do well, but our schedule is more aimed for July/August shows.

kvhranch

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
flacowman said:

It will definitely be a hair show in Nebraska.  I probably wouldn't shear him unless it's already shucking.  He would almost certainly have shucked at least some hair by June.  When ours start to let the hair go in the spring, we encourage it for two weeks really hard.  We don't rinse as much, we don't keep them under fans for those couple weeks. Then, as soon as they're done shedding, we get right on our summer schedule for hair growth.  We've never had one not put on at least some good hair.  You could get enough hair back by June to do well, but our schedule is more aimed for July/August shows.

So what is your hair growth "formula"?  We had horrible hair last year for my son's first year.  Need to try and do better this year.

shortyjock89

Hey if you check out the Hall of Fame board, there are a few threads on Hair Growth.  If you can't find enough info or the right info there, please feel free to let me know and I'll help you out. 

ruhtram

kvhranch said:
Olson Family Shorthorns said:
flacowman said:

So what is your hair growth "formula"?  We had horrible hair last year for my son's first year.  Need to try and do better this year.

I do know hair doesn't grow over night, and it takes time and commitment to grow hair...It takes a consistent schedule and consistent commitment

JST

So my next question is, why do some people body clip their steers in the spring when they are going to show them at hair shows later that season?

CMAHerefords

In the past we always slick shear all our replacements and cows. This year we are going to be slick shearing show cattle too.

I think it makes them look fresher and saves a lot of time pulling dead hair out for the first part of the summer.

Aussie

I always slick shear in late fall for spring shows (about 120 days) the hair comes back fresher and thicker also more even. Our winters our not as severe though.

Latest posts