to lighten up today

Help Support Steer Planet:

Telos

That's a great shot, Knabe. Camels are amazing and are designed to help stay cool. I was wondering if the two humped camels could go a longer time without water.

AAOK

Contrary to popular belief, the hump of a Camel store energy, not water.  Most of the body fat of a came is stored in the hump. The Bactrian (two humped) camel is a mountain range camel found mostly in the Asian Orient.  The Dromedary camel(one hump) is the plains camel which you would find in the sand desert areas.  The Dromedary's hump is elestic, and appears flat when depleted.  The Bractrian's humps when depleted lay over flat to the side.

A Giraffe can go without water longer than a Camel.

Telos

Thanks AAOK. I did not know that. I was told that their overall design was to help them stay cool and to help them travel long distances in search of water. They are extremely narrow when viewing them from above.

I find it quite funny how we bovine folks seem to find a connection with the camelid species. I just hope we don't start breeding cattle with the 'camel look'  during the global warming era.