To ShortyJ13 and the rest of the Shorthorn Gang

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

I seem to remember that ShortyJ13 is going to the Shorthorn Junior Nationals next month.  Is anyone else on here going????  My kiddos cannot go because it is the same week as our state 4H conference.  Bummer! 

Since there are so many of us on here with a love for Shorthorn cattle, I would love to have everyone come back with a full report!!!  With pictures!!    Answer back if you are going!! 

One more thing.....dont those shorty calves look beautiful grazing on this bright green springtime grass???    Life is good! :D

red

I believe ITK & maybe Jill are going but I'll let them confirm that!!
I think any cow looks beautful grazing in the green grass but I'll grant you that the red/whites one really stand out!!!

Red

garybob

cowz said:
I seem to remember that ShortyJ13 is going to the Shorthorn Junior Nationals next month.   Is anyone else on here going????  My kiddos cannot go because it is the same week as our state 4H conference.  Bummer!   

Since there are so many of us on here with a love for Shorthorn cattle, I would love to have everyone come back with a full report!!!  With pictures!!    Answer back if you are going!!   

One more thing.....dont those shorty calves look beautiful grazing on this bright green springtime grass???    Life is good! :D
Hey, what is the breeding of your heifer on your profile?

Jill

red said:
I believe ITK & maybe Jill are going but I'll let them confirm that!!
I think any cow looks beautiful grazing in the green grass but I'll grant you that the red/whites one really stand out!!!

Red
No, we are not going to make it this year we'll be in Lawton for Maines, next year they are in KC and we will probably try and hit all 3 as we are only about 30 minutes away.  The Clantons from in our county and Dylan Evans from about an hour from here are taking some really nice shorthorns though, anxious to see how they end up.

itk

I'm still not for sure if I'm going or not. I will probally decide the last minute like I do everything else. I really feel like I should go since we have the lots in the "Funding the Future Sale" and I feel like I need to be down there to plug them. Also you can't beat good old shorthorn fellowship. The only thing holding me back is diesel prices which are finally cheaper then gas but still not cheap. The show is also a few weeks earlier this year so we will be finishing up breeding and putting in embryos. There are a bunch of nice calves going from KS just like every other state. Greg Stewart told me once "I'm glad I can raise'm because I sure can't afford to buy one." I kind of feel this way about shorthorn heifers now (except we can't really raise'm either). It will definitely be a interesting show especially for the KS people. I'm sure Kevin will line them up right I just get nervous showing under a judge I know because I don't want them to be to easy or to hard on my cattle.

Jill

itk said:
I'm still not for sure if I'm going or not. I will probally decide the last minute like I do everything else. I really feel like I should go since we have the lots in the "Funding the Future Sale" and I feel like I need to be down there to plug them. Also you can't beat good old shorthorn fellowship. The only thing holding me back is diesel prices which are finally cheaper then gas but still not cheap. The show is also a few weeks earlier this year so we will be finishing up breeding and putting in embryos. There are a bunch of nice calves going from KS just like every other state. Greg Stewart told me once "I'm glad I can raise'm because I sure can't afford to buy one." I kind of feel this way about shorthorn heifers now (except we can't really raise'm either). It will definitely be a interesting show especially for the KS people. I'm sure Kevin will line them up right I just get nervous showing under a judge I know because I don't want them to be to easy or to hard on my cattle.
Tucker has been showing a shorthorn all year, I don't know if he is going or not the last I heard they were going to Maine Jr's.  I would think that the kids from Kansas have a pretty good shot at winning that show, this has gotten to be a REALLY tough place to show, there are however a great group of kids from Kansas and that helps.  Those of you that are going, we wish you the best and have a great time.

shortdawg

I guess we will decide for sure next week. We have entered and plan on going if we get things taken care of on the farm. We will take four head, three of which are came from near Lawton. Two fall 06 heifers, one fall 06 steer, and a bred fall 05 heifer we showed down here last year.

shortdawg

Two heifers, the white steer, and a Herford steer. A kid in our county that has been showing his cattle for several years is graduating so, it was our turn to buy a few from him. He sold one to this kid that was a State Champ and her first calf was too. Really a nice guy and easy to deal with.