To trim or not to trim...hooves

Help Support Steer Planet:

SimFarmer

I have 4 fall calves that are showing in a month at the mo state fair and am wondering if I should get their hooves trimmed. I have heard that getting them trimmed before they turn a year old isn't good. They seem a little long but nothing too much that it makes them look bad. Thanks in advance.

DSCSD

Some people may disagree... but when your going to a show you want your cattle to be the best they can be right? Ive seen a lot of really nice cattle get knocked in the ring for simple things like needing a hoof trimming, due to the fact they just didn't move out as great as they could have or when they stand in the lineup they get a little relaxed and look like they roll off or it just makes them look bad not being up on their toes more. Its always been something ive always done. I put to much time into these little guys to be beaten out over something like that. With all hair dids getting done up might as well clean up the toes too!

Tallcool1

Generally speaking, I agree with DSCSD.

We really have never trimmed hooves on any that are little, but these calves (fall) are nearing yearling age. 

To answer your question, think about it from your competitors perspective.  Do you think that the calves you will be showing against will have their hooves trimmed?  Of course they will...it is a State Fair.

I would follow DSCSD's advice and go ahead and get them done.

RasorFarms

I'd say trim, and talk with your hoof trimmer and express your concerns. He/She is the expert and will give you their professional opinion. Our guy is awesome. He asks when your next show is, any concerns you're having and has you walk the calf around a bit so he can see any issues in person, really takes a personal approach to each individual calf.

SimFarmer

Thanks for the replies. I was planning on getting them trimmed but have heard a few breeders who won't trim before they are yearlings and was curious if anyone also did that and what the reason was for doing that.