to whom it concerns.. update on deaves

Help Support Steer Planet:

6M Ranch

Maybe take the feed bill out of the purchase price, and send the rest back.  Time to move on.

the angus111

while I wished the parents could of stepped in and not knowing the situation,I am going to give him a break.When I was 16 and had the capabilities as far as internet and sales go, my dad would of killed me.I wanted cattle so bad,i would have done the same thing.Heck my wife has to adult block the computer when there is a sale i like now.i rather him want this bad than drugs and in the end you got the money.Rusty

CJC

Not trying to be a crook, but I would give it 2 months after the check cleared and then sell her again. JMO

OH Breeder

the angus111 said:
while I wished the parents could of stepped in and not knowing the situation,I am going to give him a break.When I was 16 and had the capabilities as far as internet and sales go, my dad would of killed me.I wanted cattle so bad,i would have done the same thing.Heck my wife has to adult block the computer when there is a sale i like now.i rather him want this bad than drugs and in the end you got the money.Rusty

Age is no excuse. There are some young people on this board that I have done business with and would do again any day. They may need an extra week or so to pay but they have all paid me and been above board. I bought my first heifer when I was 12. I mowed yards all summer bailed hay etc and bought her with my own money. I hate to see young people get a bad rap because of one kids bad business dealings. There are some good one's out there! If someone needed help with transportation this board has been a great way for folks to find help getting cattle all over the country. BUT you have to ask first. I can't buy the age excuse.

For my own information, if you have paid for the animal what is the time frame you have to pick it up before it is considered abandoned? 

mlcattle

we had offered to take this heifer to the agr show dec 13... but no reply, cuz someone was to get her that day before we left. then we called and said we could take her to hillsboro the next weekend no reply. he spoke of this heifer before turkey day checked cleared on the 8th of dec. and still feeding her. now he finally replied to post in a pm. stating they may not be able to get up here til end of jan. could have sold her a few times by now. just irritating on our end.

mooch

I agree send back the money minus the feedbill if you don't want to hold her anymore.  NOT a big fan of people airing their's and some one elses business dealings on a public forum. Understand your frustration though.

jason

mlcattle said:
we had offered to take this heifer to the agr show dec 13... but no reply, cuz someone was to get her that day before we left. then we called and said we could take her to hillsboro the next weekend no reply. he spoke of this heifer before turkey day checked cleared on the 8th of dec. and still feeding her. now he finally replied to post in a pm. stating they may not be able to get up here til end of jan. could have sold her a few times by now. just irritating on our end.

Glad he responded.  I would NOT be hesitant about asking for feed bill money.

BCCC

OH Breeder-That is one thing that makes me way more than mad, There are some breeders that if you are young they won't even tell you about their cattle, you ask a question and they answer it in the shortest possible way and walk off. Yet my dad can walk up and they won't leave us alone...One problem my dad has absoulty nothing to do with show calves. I have to bug him for a month if I want an opinion out of him. The breeders keep talking about how they are bred and all and he's not even listening(because he doesn't care). My dad has never once purchased a calf for me. There has been one time when he was already close to the breeder so I told him to look at two calves and see which he liked best, and bring it home. Well i called him to see which he had picked and he just happened to still be there looking at them, and the logic behind the calf he chose? It looked like the heifer I showed last year so he figured I'd like that one. I talked to the breeder and ended up purchasing them both sight unseen. Good choice because I liked the opposite one he liked.

Reinken Cattle Co.

Agree with BCCC on this one im now 20 but in the last 6 or 7 years that ive done this show cattle thing ALONE its been hard breeders shy away from young people, but i do have to say when i ask about cattle here on steerplanet and most always only do when im pretty serious, I get good responses just noticed before I got on steerplanet and even now when I go some places the only time they talk much is when my dads with me and he could care less about show cattle except to see me do well. Its hard to start a breeding cattle business at a young age but looking back im glad I did it and spending god knows how many hours during high school in my barn kept me out of trouble, and now the money I make off my paid off cows helps me with some of my hobbys, mainy buying for cows. So the one good thing I have to say is atleist the kids into cattle and not drugs hopefully, like said before.

thebulllady

This has nothing to do with age.. and everything to do with responsibility and maturity.  Young people are giving opportunities  all throughout their lives to prove both, and it's up to them to decide how they are going to react.

It is terribly immature and irresponsible to buy a calf, and keep putting off picking it up.  I wouldn't have kept her above a week or two at most, at which point I would have offered her for sale again.  There's no excuse for the young man to not answer his phone, or to contact you, if he was having trouble finding time to pick her up.  Should be a learning experience.

halbachcattle

I think that a guy should get a check to hold any calf and should be responsible for some sort of feed cost over a reasonalble period of time.  With Deaves he told me several times he was going to send me the money to hold the calf and I continued to hold the calf for him.  This is my fault and thats where I went wrong.  He did agree to pay whatever the extra feed cost was but with this situation he could agree to buy me a new truck but if he never shows or never returns call he isnt going to follow through with anything.

I think that to get the full experience in this industry the young people need to learn to pick out calves and make business transactions on the calves they are buying.  I hope that a couple individuals dont ruin it for the rest of the honest hard working young people out there.

Anyways, I appreciate the comments on this post and wish everybody luck with getting the calves paid for and picked up.

Phil Halbach

Halbach Cattle