TOO STRAIGHT, Crippled you say?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

it's like when they say you can never be too thin or too rich. Has to be limits to everything.

Red

OH Breeder

JIT- Exactly, when folks  breed for extremes I think that is when there are  problems. As with anything in this world the key is moderation.

Telos

Selective breeding and natural selection are two different things.

In selective breeding the spectrum of results can range from Greatness to comical to sadly pathetic and devastating. I guess these results depends on who calling the shots in the selection process.

Nature gave us something that was already pretty good to start with.

renegade

I was talking to my trimmer yesterday and he was wondering if i knew who the county judge was gonna be. They heard it was a woman and they hope it is the one that judged at the western idaho fair last year because and i quote since i didn't show there "she really knows cattle, she threw every club calf to the bottom of the class." She is from montana if any one thinks they have seen her judge before.

jimmyski

I'm also coming in a little late on this topic as I just noticed it. I will say one thing, that unless that is absolutely nothing else to use, I mean nothing that is even adequate in terms of muscle and condition, I will not use a steer that is extremely restricted in his movement to win a show. Like DLD stated in his comment, most of the time their are heifer mates to these individuals going out into a cowherd and I really don't care if it's a terminal show or not, as steer that can not get out and move around the ring will not win under me. I have used some steers that are little short in completely filling their tracks off of their back legs, but they were so powerful and at 1250-1400 lbs, it would be almost impossible for them to do so. So I make sure their angles are still correct enough in terms of the angle to their shoulders, hocks and pasterns as well as making sure that there is still some flex in the hock and pastern. Some people might disagree with this but that's my philosopy.

Also at the same time, with the last post made by renegade, I have seen almost as many steers crippled from having their feet trimmed to short as steers that were actually born that way.

Also renegade, the lady I think you might be referring to, is it Jamie Lane (former Judging coach at Colby Community College, she left just before I started there). I have heard mixed opinions are here abilities to evaluate cattle. Some good, some bad, so take it for what it's worth. I really don't like the fact that, this certain person was happy that she threw every club calf to the bottom of the class. There are some really good ones out there, and whether I choose to raise them or not, or  like the fact that many of them have to be cut out the side, that does not change my opinion that good cattle are good cattle and bad cattle are bad cattle whether they be Angus, Shorthorn, Maine, or a Club Calf. The minute you start judging and say that you don't like club calve or a particular breed and aren't evaluating them objectively is the minute you should be done judging. It's just not right. Well, enough of my rambling, just had to put my two cents in here.

Latest posts