torching cattle

Help Support Steer Planet:

ROAD WARRIOR

I love my torch - do it at least 3 weeks to a month in advance and then go back and touch them up with the clippers ahead of the show. I build my own torches but you can get one from a show supply company as well. RW

ba

I never point the torch at the hair  but lay where the flame goes across flat
across the hair .Instead of pencil up it goes pencil down.Also differant breeds
torch differently Herefords shorty's can go poof.

This a must as far as I am concerned
Have a extra person there when you are starting to learn to do this
and have a bucket and rice root brush wet with water just in case

ROAD WARRIOR

DO NOT POUR WITH IVORMEC OR OTHER ALCHOHOL BASED PRODUCTS AHEAD OF TORCHING!!!! rw

BCCC

ROAD WARRIOR said:
I love my torch - do it at least 3 weeks to a month in advance and then go back and touch them up with the clippers ahead of the show. I build my own torches but you can get one from a show supply company as well. RW
What do you use to build your torches?

ROAD WARRIOR

3/8 pipe, a 45 degree elbow, some steel tubing, a gas valve, and a grease zerk with the center knocked out. RW

TexasHeat

I agree with ba, you really need someone to help you pay attention to where the flame is going.  I always use a Sullivan's metal comb in my one hand, torch in the other.  Never torch without something to put the fire out, don't try to use your hand.  Always torch parallel to the body, and use your comb to guide the fire.  Like RW said, around 3 weeks is a good rule of thumb to stick by.  I think torching works best on black cattle.  Blacks can be done 10 to 14 days before I would say.  After torching I would recommend putting Revive or some sort of skin conditioner on them.  Torching done right can make cattle look really smooth.  I would try to find someone who has had some experience with torching to give you some hands on tips with it. 

ROAD WARRIOR

Tx Heat is right - torching on black cattle can be done closer to the show/sale. IMHO black cattle are the easiest to clip/fit/torch because the skin is the same color as the hair. I've seen some guys that had never clipped anything but black calves make a real mess out of a red one - a little toughier business. RW

klintdog

ROAD WARRIOR said:
DO NOT POUR WITH IVORMEC OR OTHER ALCHOHOL BASED PRODUCTS AHEAD OF TORCHING!!!! rw

Did you learn this the hard way? I can honestly say that I did...

ROAD WARRIOR

A few years ago we pulled into a ranch to start torching bulls for a sale. We got all set up ran the first one in and litterally lit him up! We found out that they had weighed the bulls the day before and decided to pour them while they had them in the chute. There was enough residue left to really make them burn down the length of their tops. Fortunately we had another set of bulls to do about 75 miles down the road so we went and did them first. RW

PaddyO

Ha Ha. Who wants to fit on a red calf anyway? Once you go black, you will never go back!! HA

braunvieh

The Braunvieh are very hard to clip also as they have so many different color patterns and they change as you clip deeper. I really like using the torch, it doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

qbcattle

I have never trusted myself enough to use a torch on an older calf that is getting close to show time, however, when it comes time to clip unhalter broke babies we just run them in the shoot, use a pear burner, lightly simmer that baby hair and pat it out using leather gloves and a brush...5 min a calf and it works like a charm!

ZNT

Torching is a wonderful tool, especially for cleaning up some of those bad haired breeds, and also un-halter broke cattle.  Do not pour the cattle for at least a week or two before torching.  The residue lasts a long time, even if you can't tell.  It is an art like clipping, but much more forgiving.  My main tips are to keep the torch 8-12" away from the hair depending on flame size, and be EXTRA careful if torching the cheeks as to not hurt the eyes, and right behind the ears, hold the ear so they don't move it into the flame.  NEVER use a torch to do the face of a calf.  Clippers are still a must for the face, tail head, tail, and front of neck/brisket area.

Once you get the hang of it, you can do a lot of cattle in a short amount of time.

Good luck!

red

PaddyO said:
Ha Ha. Who wants to fit on a red calf anyway? Once you go black, you will never go back!! HA

(lol) here I get excited over a red calf!

ZNT

red said:
PaddyO said:

(lol) here I get excited over a red calf!

I've never had trouble torching red or white cattle due to skin color.  The only trick is to make sure you do it 3 weeks to a month out.  The hair will tend to look a little yellowish or brownish on non-black cattle.  I did a bunch of red and white fullblood Maine's about 3 weeks before Ft. Worth with no trouble at all.

Latest posts