Tornado in Manhattan

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davis Shorthorns

Just to let everyone know, we just had a tornado touch down here in Manhattan KS.  We have alot of damage on the south side of town and it hit Kansas State University Campus.  Please pray for all of us here in north central KS. (angel) (angel)

Jill

The news this morning said that Chapman has like a 60% loss, heard anything on that?

kanshow

It's bad.  Last night was a pretty scary night for those of us in that tornado's path.    They say it started in Salina and was intermittently on the ground for over 80 miles.   

Jill - I've heard the same thing about Chapman - along with one fatality.   

WIBW, KTKA, & KSNT - the Topeka stations all have some pictures online. 

DiamondS

One fatality in chapman and one in soldier.  Southwest side of Manhattan as well as KSU are a mess.  We could see the tornado from our house through lightening strikes last night.  However, we were in the path and the rotation went right over the top of us thankfully.  I have pictures of the creek 1/2 mile from the house flooding that I will try to get up later today.  It was pretty awe inspiring.  As well, I have tractors, swathers, and balers about a 1/4 mile from one of the places that was destroyed, so I'm headed to check them all out.  Hope everyone else is ok!!!!  It certainly was a wild night.  I'm thinking of everbody in Chapman!!!!

showsteer09

Do you know how the Schaake Family is doing  I know he is the head of the Barns at K state and they live over where the Twisters hit :-\

kanshow

Do you know how the Schaake Family is doing  I know he is the head of the Barns at K state and they live over where the Twisters hit 
I haven't heard if they've had damage, although have heard there was damage in the Flush area.  They are just northwest of that.  The extension agent was just here nose printing sheep and said he had only heard of damage by Havensville but that's not to say there wasn't damage elsewhere.    Hubby is finishing up a few things and we are going to go for a drive.   

DiamondS

I live a mile southwest of Flush and no damage that I know of.  We had a creek that was flooding pretty bad.  Manhattan looks pretty rough, but could be much worse.  It amazes me the places that there is insulation hanging.  Earlier, my fiance' was working in the pasture and found a page of a bank statement from somebody in Chapman.  I believe we were a little closer to the funnel cloud that we realized. 

jimmyski

I just recieved an email from one of my judging kids who is from Chapman. It shows some pretty extensive damage to alot of the town. It looks like all 3 of the schools got hit hard with the High School looking completely demolished. Alot of structural damages to houses as well. I'll give her a call tonight and hopefully post some more information for you guys in the morning.

Davis Shorthorns

Here are some picts I got today from manhattan.  I also went through campus.  The main building in the school of ag, Weber hall took alot of damage.  Parts of the roof taken off.  The greenhouses have some lost windows, alot of uprooted trees and blown over signs.  The tornado went just at the bottom of the hill that the purebred barn sits on on campus, but the barn didn't look like it had any damage.  Also I talked to one of my friends that works at a car dealership and they said they are missing 14 or so cars and one was found in a elementary school roof. 

Attachments

• tornado 1.JPG
    tornado 1.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 498
  • tornado 2.JPG
    tornado 2.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 491
  • tornado 3.JPG
    tornado 3.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 499
  • tornado 4.JPG
    tornado 4.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 500

CPL

I just got back yesterday from Schaake's judging camp and we were right over there where the damage was (Weber Hall). Great livestock judging camp if any of you all are interested, but too bad they got the storms. It was crazy when I saw on the K-state website that it happen within 8 hours of us leaving. Hope everyone is fine up that way.

kanshow

There are some pretty amazing videos on you tube.  I didn't realize Channel 49 had a skycam on campus. 

jason

I was actually going to be on  Manhattan on that night, but had changed plans unrelated to the weather, we ended up going on Thursday instead.