TRACTOR ENTUSIASTS: What's this worth?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ShowmanQ

I stumbled upon the opportunity to purchase the following tractor and didnt know what it was worth. Let me know what you think.
GOOD
-1967 John Deere 4020 Diesel
-Dual rear wheels
-front end loader (6 foot i think)
-runs and drives
-no major leaks

BAD
-needs batteries
-not sure how many hours it has

KDSC

what for?? show or actually to work with?? If for show or tractor pulls, the bucket is virturully useless
????????? condition better or worse?
UFEAD1058.JPG

ShowmanQ

We would work with it. I would say it is in about the same condition as the one shown, minus the fresh looking paint job. The paint on the one we are looking at is faded but very little rust on the machine at all

DLD

What kind of loader, and how old is it (the loader)? Does it have seperate hydraulic outlets and controls or does it runn through the tractors rear mounted hydraulics? It's worth more with a Deere loader, a little less with some others, alot less with still others.

Are the duals axle mount or spin on? Axle mount's would add more value than spin ons.

What about tire condition? How many hydraulic outlets? 3 point? PTO?

ShowmanQ

The tracotr has a John Deere loader, true duals (not spin ons) and it does have pto and 3point, not sure on the specifics though also not sure of the hydraulics.
If we want it the woman said she would sell it to us for $6,500 ....any good?

Doc

ShowmanQ said:
The tracotr has a John Deere loader, true duals (not spin ons) and it does have pto and 3point, not sure on the specifics though also not sure of the hydraulics.
If we want it the woman said she would sell it to us for $6,500 ....any good?
  In my part of the country it would be well worth the money. I would sure give that for it.

justintime

I remember that in 1967, my uncle bought a new JD 4020 and paid $4200... without the FEL. A year later he decide to buy the FEL and paid another $1000 for that. I also remember many of our neighbours saying that my uncle had completely lost his mind and he probably would lose his farm, spending money like this. Looking back this seems to incredible. How times have changed. My uncle used his JD 4020 for over 30 years and sold it for $18,700 in his farm  auction in 1998. I have seen 4020's bring $8500 to $12500 at farm auctions in recent years depending on theiur condition. They are a good work horse of a tractor and if you are planning to use it for light farm work like taking bales to cows etc, it will probably do a great job for you. Like any piece of iron, you will have to put repairs on it from time ot time ( this goes for the new ones as well). The tractor I use for baling, feeding cows etc, cost over $100,000  4 years ago and we started adding pieces almost immediately after buying it.

ATOZ

In Illinois... the loader is at least worth $3000 and any 4020 d will bring at least $9000.... hurry  (dog) and buy it !! If it runs you have a great deal !! (clapping) (clapping)

afhm

Go to tractordata.com it will tell you all about that tractor, what it cost new and what plants it was manufatured in.  When I stumbled on that sight I was amassed at how well tractors held their value and how many used tractors appreciated instead of depreciated from their new cost

knabe

drove one of those for a while at my uncle's who grew wheat.  you could pay more than twice that for a new tractor from john deere, made in korea or somewhere, with a lot less hp, sketchy hyrdralics etc.  probably your biggest upgrade on the tractor will be new tires and a hydralics upgrade if any leaks, perhaps exhaust work.  i didn't notice a roll over system.  a good deal, even if one was gonna use it just for a stinger and other odd uses.  lots of parts in the bins and familiarity to mechanics.