Train leg hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

sfajacks2010

Our local show is a blow and go show and I was needing help on how to train the leg hair since we can't use any adhesives.

OH Breeder

sfajacks2010 said:
Our local show is a blow and go show and I was needing help on how to train the leg hair since we can't use any adhesives.

One thing that cuts your time in half is roto brush. I use something called olive oil and it comes in a "pudding" you can brush that on the hair. Like ethnic hair it will soften the hair. Get a reversible Drill and an old tube sock. Put the tail in an old tube sock. Get a roto brush on Sullivan's site. The mixed synthetic last alot longer. Start at the bottom of the leg near hoof work up and out always rolling away from the leg. It takes a good thirty minutes to do all four legs. But you will be surprised if you do this frequently how quick the hair will break and it seems to stimulate it to grow a tick. I rice root and final bloom or revive will also work.

GKE Cattle

Ha Ha,, when I first read the question the first thing that came to mind is Brush Brush Brush.  I have to admit I really like the first two comments they really nailed it!!!  And it is true a roto-brush willl help speed things up some.  But for those hard to reach places a scotch comb and a rice root brush are still what it takes.  Good luck at your show.

breyfarm

We used to use Sullivans Revive right after washing and work it in good with a brush and blower.. seemed to keep the hair "fluffy" for a day or so..only thing didnt like is they got dry skin real bad

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

I dont like to use heavy oils on the legs just a little sheen does it for me. I feel the conditioner is more than enough moisturizer for the skin pours and hair folicals maybe when its really cold i use Revive, Ft. Worth is usually my cut off date on that product. Start using too much oil in the Texas heat and you will burn the hair right off. The Roto bursh does wonders even on the whole body not just the legs, a truly great product for the price. Although for blow and go shows i use the the Kleen sheen and a little Zoom Bloom. Right before we go in the ring I use a clean dry hand fitting wash scrubber, ya know the different color plastic ones and brush it up like a crazy man to build up static so it will stand up for the few minutes in the ring.

Boot Jack Bulls

One thing that cuts your time in half is roto brush. I use something called olive oil and it comes in a "pudding" you can brush that on the hair. Like ethnic hair it will soften the hair. Get a reversible Drill and an old tube sock. Put the tail in an old tube sock. Get a roto brush on Sullivan's site. The mixed synthetic last alto longer. Start at the bottom of the leg near hoof work up and out always rolling away from the leg. It takes a good thirty minutes to do all four legs. But you will be surprised if you do this frequently how quick the hair will break and it seems to stimulate it to grow a tick. I rice root and final bloom or revive will also work.
[/quote]

I would recommend the same thing. I have also had really good luck with using mane and tail conditioner. After using the roto and a light oil, like revive, I use the mane and tail and a rice root to fin out the legs. I leave them like this until they get rinsed and worked the next day. For me this has worked really well on cattle with coarse and cowlicky hair. This way, on show day, you only have to work the hair with a roto and blow in a little pink oil and the hair really pops! Hope this helps and good luck!

twistedhshowstock

Seeing as your screenname is SFAJacks I am assuming you are in East Texas.  The heavy oils and conditioners like Revive, the "puddings" etc are really to heavy in the heat and humidity that we have here in East Texas, they can quickly burn the hair right off of them.  I generally just use a Sheen like Kleen Sheen or the equivalent for my daily hair care anyway, I feel that they are plenty enough if you do a good job of keeping them in good condition.  The only times I break out the Revive is sometimes the day before a show, SOMETIMES, and if I notice they are getting some flaking somewhere.  The best advice anyone can give you on this is elbow grease, elbow grease, elbow grease.  If you can rinse and work hair at least twice a day that would be beneficial, but it needs to happen at least once a day.  Rinse the calf and work the hair with a good rice root or roto brush while they are still wet...work the hair up, on the front legs that are more round I typically just work straight up all the way around, but on the flatter, hind legs you want to make a line down the middle, brush up and back on the back half, and up and forward on the front half.  Even after the hair is laying the way you want it, keep brushing, put some pressure behind the brush and use short fast brush strokes.  This not only helps to break the hair, it stimulates hair follicles and helps with growth.  After you have brushed a while, blow the legs straight up, to get the moisture out, then blow in your sheen and repeat the brushing to really work the sheen into the hair, down to the skin, then blow straight up again to get the moisture out(unless they are going under fans, or a cooler, then sometimes I leave them slightly damp)  wet hair picks up dirt, dirty hair doesnt train or grow.  Also be sure to focus on the knees and hocks, those areas can get a lot of abuse when the calf is rocking to get up and that hair can tend to be very coarse and unruly, so you will really need to focus there to keep it soft and broken.

DRB

OH Breeder said:
sfajacks2010 said:

One thing that cuts your time in half is roto brush. I use something called olive oil and it comes in a "pudding" you can brush that on the hair. Like ethnic hair it will soften the hair. Get a reversible Drill and an old tube sock. Put the tail in an old tube sock. Get a roto brush on Sullivan's site. The mixed synthetic last alot longer. Start at the bottom of the leg near hoof work up and out always rolling away from the leg. It takes a good thirty minutes to do all four legs. But you will be surprised if you do this frequently how quick the hair will break and it seems to stimulate it to grow a tick. I rice root and final bloom or revive will also work.

Can someone post a pic or diagram of the directions one should work the hair, or just explain it in more detail?  I've always been fuzzy on direction other than 'up'.  Is it towards the front/back etc? on inside and out?

Thanks.

sfajacks2010

We live near Sherman, TX. We have been really brushing and blowing this week. We have been using show sheen. Hopefully it will all pay off.

vc

It won't help you this time but I can tell you what helps, start working the leg hair the day you get the calf, just like you would right before show. The kid I am helping out his year started working the hair the day I sold him the calf, the leg hair pops with just a little combing and blowing. (his first steer and he listens to what I tell him so far)
It can get pretty easy, early on to ignore the legs when you are trying to get everything else to pop, spend the time from the beginning and it should pay off for you.

AAOK

Rice Root Brush and Elbow Grease. Rinse and Brush 2 to 4 times daily.  (beats a Roto Brush hands down)

Brush
Brush
Brush
Brush
Brush
Brush
Brush

tcf

We raise herefords, I know that battle of training hair and making it work lol. I would recommend picking up some Luster's Pink or the new Weaver Pro Pink and a Roto Brush! Spray it in to clean hair and work away. I do not use a comb very much when training hair, I stick to using a riceroot brush and a massage brush. Change the direction of your drill when working the leg hair depending on your position on the leg and just keep going over it, hit it with the massage brush again and repeat, repeat, repeat. There is no simple way to train hair other than elbow grease.
- if you use a roto brush, put the calf's tail into a sock to avoid tangling it in the brush, it is hell to get it out when it catches in there bad.
Good Luck.

OH Breeder

twistedhshowstock said:
Seeing as your screenname is SFAJacks I am assuming you are in East Texas.  The heavy oils and conditioners like Revive, the "puddings" etc are really to heavy in the heat and humidity that .

Puddings are great for summer use. They meant for women's ethnic hair. They are not heavy and are lighter than many aerosaled oils. Revive we use in the winter. The "pudding'" if you have ever used is is not greasy at all.