Transporting Puppies

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

My uncle(also 18) lost 3 fingers a month ago. Then his dog that he has had since he was born (they were the same age) just died today. He said he would like one of our dogs pups when they are ready but he lives in missouri and i live in idaho. I was wondering what the best way of getting one there would be, short of hand delivering it.

shorthorns r us

air freight.  you drop it off at an air port; he picks it up on the other end.  my wife prefers to use continental.  just hit the yellow pages.

kanshow

I've either used Delta or transported the puppy in a carryon crate.  I've had good luck both ways. 

DL

Puppies need to be a certain age and have a health certificate to fly. The weather is also an issue as too hot or too cold they won't go. One option the breeders I know use is to send the puppy with someone who is going to that area (usually another dog person) - carry on (if the puppy is small) is really the ticket when weather is an issue. Another option (more expensive) is to have someone fly the puppy and you might find a kid in college who lives in MO and goes to school in Idaho. Flying puppies as cargo in winter makes me nervous  ;)

renegade

airplane was the first thing that came to my mind, you just never know what can happen. Thanks for the suggestions i will look into it.

shorthorns r us

DL said:
Puppies need to be a certain age and have a health certificate to fly. The weather is also an issue as too hot or too cold they won't go. One option the breeders I know use is to send the puppy with someone who is going to that area (usually another dog person) - carry on (if the puppy is small) is really the ticket when weather is an issue. Another option (more expensive) is to have someone fly the puppy and you might find a kid in college who lives in MO and goes to school in Idaho. Flying puppies as cargo in winter makes me nervous  ;)

one of the reasons we use continental if at all possible is that live animal cargo on every leg of every flight is climate controlled and gets the same air as the passenger cabin.  to the best of my knowledge, no other airline can make that claim.  per airlines, puppies must be 8 wks.  for health reasons, you should wait a couple more weeks so that its vax can become effective.  i'll leave that discussion for others.  please consult a vet now so that you are prepared when transport time come if you choose to fly  it.

Jill

You are correct it is a min. of 8 weeks and each state has different health restrictions, so you'll need to find out what the state you are flying into requires.  I know some airlines will not allow you to carry on animals so you need to check with the airline on that, I know Southwest is one of those.

justme

I just went thru this trying to get home to a funeral in Ohio and delivering Red's and my uncle's puppy.  The only airline I could find that had a carryon for dogs was Continental.  Limit 1 dog under a certain weight....no good for for me since I had 2 little corgis.  Continental seemed to have the best comprehension on how a dog should be shipped.  The cargo holds on flights accepting pet cargo, is climate controlled.  My friends all use continental and charge around $250 an animal to ship.

Good luck!

shorthorns r us

justme said:
I just went thru this trying to get home to a funeral in Ohio and delivering Red's and my uncle's puppy.  The only airline I could find that had a carryon for dogs was Continental.  Limit 1 dog under a certain weight....no good for for me since I had 2 little corgis.  Continental seemed to have the best comprehension on how a dog should be shipped.  The cargo holds on flights accepting pet cargo, is climate controlled.  My friends all use continental and charge around $250 an animal to ship.

Good luck!

$250 - $275 is the industry standard for shipping small breed puppies.

kanshow

I think the airline you use depends on where you are shipping to & from.  I think Jill is correct in that Southwest does not allow pets on.. there is no room for the Sherpa under the seat and they do not ship.  The main thing is that the plane has a pressurized climate controlled cargo area.    Just call that airlines pet desk and let them make the reservations. 

The last time I had a dog shipped, he was being shipped to me from Nashville to KCI.  The only airline I could get him on was Delta.  I don't remember the cost but he arrived completely unstressed and just perfect.    This was a six month old puppy though. 
My friend flew out  to pick up her puppy and if memory serves, she flew either American or United.  She flew him home in a carryon - which is the best way to do that.   

On another note, if you do plan on shipping the puppy, I'd spend some time getting them used to being crated alone.  This will go the farthest in reducing stress on the puppy.