Traveling with a semen tank

Help Support Steer Planet:

GLZ

What is everyone's thoughts on traveling with a semen tank.  Back in the day I was always told to throw it on the truck only.

However with gas prices so high there are certain times when I would just assume leave the truck at home if I could.  I know of guys that travel with one in a suburban or van.  Are there any reprecussions for traveling with it in such an enclosed environment.  What about a trunk of a car?

kanshow

I put mine in the back of the Excursion & strap it to the spare tire.  There is usually enough other junk in the back that it wouldn't slide much anyway.

I know some people put them in the back seat of the car and seat belt them in.    I would think most car trunks are not deep enough for most tanks but since I don't know alot about car trunks....

Malinda

StillLearning,

When I haul my tank in the truck, I sit it in an old tire plus strap it down. The tire adds a lot of stability.

About the car... I personally have never hauled a tank in a car, but just a word of caution. Years ago a man near me had his tank sitting in the front seat beside him. He was involved in an accident, the tank overturned and he found himself sitting in a puddle of liquid nitrogen. Third degree burns to his buttocks, jewels and...well, you know.

Be careful if the tank is the car.

Malinda

inthebarnagain

I lock the lid on my tank and strap it into the seatbelt on my car and lock the seatbelt down, that way if I would be in a wreck, hopefully it wouldn't spill.  If I waited to get the truck no cows would ever get bred!

dori36

StillLearning said:
What is everyone's thoughts on traveling with a semen tank.  Back in the day I was always told to throw it on the truck only.

However with gas prices so high there are certain times when I would just assume leave the truck at home if I could.  I know of guys that travel with one in a suburban or van.  Are there any reprecussions for traveling with it in such an enclosed environment.  What about a trunk of a car?

I've been told NOT to travel with a filled semen tank in an enclosed vehicle.  Something about fumes even though it's tightly closed.  I'd check with whoever fills it for you for info and recommendations.  It's a ventiilation 'thing'. When I've had to travel with it, I've put it in the back of my pickup or in my trailer.  No problem if it's empty no matter where you put it.

Bawndoh

In many places you can get fined for transporting a semen tank inside a vehicle.  Because of the issue with the fumes.  If that is the case, throw a blanket over it if you must transport it in a car/van/SUV.  I know a couple of Genex reps, who carry it in their cars all the time.

itk

Take it from a guy who wrecked a truck on a snowy day and lost about ten thousand dollars in semen dont ever haul a full tank just get a rental. Every time we know we are dropping off or picking up semen or eggs we get a rental that way we know the rest is stored away safely if something were to happen.

rmbcows

itk said:
Take it from a guy who wrecked a truck on a snowy day and lost about ten thousand dollars in semen dont ever haul a full tank just get a rental. Every time we know we are dropping off or picking up semen or eggs we get a rental that way we know the rest is stored away safely if something were to happen.

Did your insurance pay for the semen?  I've often wondered if my vehicle insurance would cover the cost of the tank and semen if I was ever in a wreck.  I've asked my insurance carrier about this a couple of times and never gotten a straight answer.  Asked about tank failure under my homeowners also and never got an answer there either.  Do any of you know how that works?  Anyone have special insurance for their tanks and semen?

SWMO

I would think it would have to be a line item on your farm insurance.  Kinda like jewelry and camera's on a home owners policy.  Also be ready to prove the value of the contents.  If you don't have a good inventory system insurance is much less likely to pay.  Cross your t's and dot your i's.

linnettejane

have an extended cab and haul it in the back seat with seatbelt around it and crack the windows for ventilation....i was told once that you dont want to haul it in the back of a pickup because the force can suck all the nitrogen out, if you have to, make sure you wrap it up....dont know if thats true or not...

kanshow

Like someone else said,  I always make sure the cap is secured down.  I don't know what kind of force it would withstand but it's the best I can do.  Insurance wise, we have ours covered under our homeowners as a misc item.  Another thing we will be doing is having KABSU do an inventory once a year so that we will have 3rd party proof of contents.